Matusz is mixing it up

AVencill

Don't blink, but Brian Matusz is at 12 K's tonight with just one walk through six innings. The runs he allowed technically were the second and third outs of the inning, but an error while turning a double play kept both runners on bases. Turning in a great performance as he has retired now 14 straight.

Box Score

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duffy is doing it for Wilmington too. That is a great match-up between those two.

A terrific matchup between both guys. Duffy has great stuff including a low 90's fastball and an above average curveball. I don't remember the last time I could remember seeing both pitchers throw four consecutive 1-2-3 innings.

Very good to see the k/bb he put up tonight and the fact that he struck out 13 and still went 7 innings. Controlled the pitch count well and was obviously in attack mode. Can't wait to see this kid pitch in person.

Its about time...This is the type of outing that we have been expecting with Matusz and one that he hasn't delivered...He went deep into the game and kept the walks down.

He was electric on the mound, getting the 3-4 hitters to go 0-6 with 6 K's. Yeah, he was THAT good on the hill tonight.

I'll have plenty of reaction from Matusz and the man who caught Matusz behind the plate in Caleb Joseph up on the Prospect Tracker later tonight.

He was electric on the mound, getting the 3-4 hitters to go 0-6 with 6 K's. Yeah, he was THAT good on the hill tonight.

I'll have plenty of reaction from Matusz and the man who caught Matusz behind the plate in Caleb Joseph up on the Prospect Tracker later tonight.

what was he using as his out pitch tonight? Was he putting them away with the curve?

what was he using as his out pitch tonight? Was he putting them away with the curve?

Actually, it was a combination of slider, curve and change. It was a good mix, but mostly slider and curve. He fooled Moustakas three times with the curveball-slider combo for the last two strikes of the at-bat. Moustakas was frustrated every time he went back to the dugout.

Something tells me he finally broke out the full arsenal tonight.

Something tells me you might be right ;)

Actually, it was a combination of slider, curve and change. It was a good mix, but mostly slider and curve. He fooled Moustakas three times with the curveball-slider combo for the last two strikes of the at-bat. Moustakas was frustrated every time he went back to the dugout.

Something tells me you might be right ;)

What are you seeing with Matusz? Why hasn't he been as good as advertised IYO?

What are you seeing with Matusz? Why hasn't he been as good as advertised IYO?

Because they've had him working mostly Fastball/Curve and getting away from his reliance on his Change. Nice to see him throwing the Slider in there too though.

I knew that you'd just see a dramatic change one game when he finally started mixing in the others a bit. Big difference between a 2-pitch pitcher and a 4-pitch guy.

Archived