2009 Draft *Update*

Keith Law has us taking Wheeler (#5 overall), thankfully NOT Crow.

Scouting Report:

Summary: Zach Wheeler, a tall, loose-armed, right-handed pitcher, is a lock to go in the first round. His fastball comes out of his hand easy and runs from 91-96 mph http://insider.espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryid=3975306&id=4077543(watch scouting video) with tremendous late life. His main secondary pitch is a hard slurve at 74-78 mph that is a future out pitch; he sweeps it away from right-handed hitters and can also throw it tighter to hit the inside corner for a called strike. He has a hard changeup that is more like a BP fastball than a true change. His arm action is long but he repeats it well and the length seems to come from the low point where he separates his hands, which isn't that major of a fix for player development. He takes an enormous stride toward the plate with a little bit of drop-and-drive and generates good arm speed, which leads both to velocity on the fastball and sharpness on the breaking ball. He lands a little stiffly with some recoil. With a little projection left, two above-average pitches and a good delivery, as well as a commitment to Kennesaw State, Wheeler should go in the first 10 picks.

Player Grades

PRESENT FUTURE LOW(MPH) HIGH(MPH)

Fastball 60 65 91 96

FB Movement 60 60 -- --

Command 45 55 -- --

Control 50 55 -- --

Slider 45 60 74 78

Changeup 40 45 88 88

Feel for Pitching 45 55 -- --

Personally, I think this would be a terrific pick for us. I see him starting off in Frederick and following just behind Matusz all the way up the chain. He's got a plus fastball with above average movement and command to go along with a plus slider. If you watch the scouting video, you'll see his delivery is actually not unlike Matusz'.

If Wheeler is gone, we'll probably take Matzek who is apparently the most polished HS pitcher in the draft and expected to end up at the top of someone's rotation several years from now. Wheeler has better stuff, but Matzek has more stuff from what I understand.

There is no way he starts off in Fredrick where Matusz a junior in college started. He'll probably go to short season ball, highly doubt he'll end up even in Delmarva this year. As for the change up, I hear it is projected to be atleast average which would rank him in the 50-55 range (I believe itll be better than average slightly) His fastball, right now is a 65 in my book, if he adds some velo to it, it should grade out at 70 -75 IMO. His command from what I hear is actually pretty good, especially for an HSer, when all said and done he should be pretty well above average in that aspect......

Is that Law's projections or your own? Im guessing Law.....

Wheeler sounds like a fine pick to me.

A couple other angles:

- Perhaps Pittsburgh wants Wheeler for the same signability.

- Perhaps we are pointing out Wheeler's signability to Pittsburgh and hope the Pirates take him so someone else is left for us.

Wheeler sounds like a fine pick to me.

A couple other angles:

- Perhaps Pittsburgh wants Wheeler for the same signability.

- Perhaps we are pointing out Wheeler's signability to Pittsburgh and hope the Pirates take him so someone else is left for us.

Agreed. Also, I'd much rather have Matzek than Wheeler.

Any love out there for Minor?

Nope, none...atleast hopefully none from us :) But pitchers like him apparently are in high demand this year, so dont be surprised if he goes somewhere in the top 10....It sucks because someone is gonna get a steal with Scheppers, and I wish that was us, but if he had a stress fracture before on that arm, Im sure it will happen again, obviously JJ isnt confident in his arm injury being only a 1 time deal.....

If you watch the scouting video' date=' you'll see his delivery is actually not unlike Matusz'.[/quote']

Maybe in the sense that they both lift with their elbows to get into the high cocked position, but Wheeler's delivery seems to be more high effort and Wheeler has definite hyperabduction of his shoulder. His delivery seems a lot like Strasburg's moreso than Matusz's.

There is no way he starts off in Fredrick where Matusz a junior in college started. He'll probably go to short season ball, highly doubt he'll end up even in Delmarva this year. As for the change up, I hear it is projected to be atleast average which would rank him in the 50-55 range (I believe itll be better than average slightly) His fastball, right now is a 65 in my book, if he adds some velo to it, it should grade out at 70 -75 IMO. His command from what I hear is actually pretty good, especially for an HSer, when all said and done he should be pretty well above average in that aspect......

Is that Law's projections or your own? Im guessing Law.....

Law had us taking Wheeler, but that was this morning. Now he's saying the Padres are going to take him unless they can afford Donovan Tate. If that were the case, according the Law we'll most likely take Matt Hobgood. He's another HS'er with an already plus curve (60) and an above average fastball. They're saying his curve acts like a knuckle curve and is one of the best in the country. Moose, anyone?

Wheeler would definitely start with Aberdeen - though I personally don't see him staying there for more than one season. I really like what I've read about him and the scouting videos I've seen are encouraging. He'll be an all-star in Aberdeen and Delmarva because of his stuff - it's fairly advanced for his age. I was saying that when he gets to Frederick he should rise fairly quickly if all goes well.

Maybe in the sense that they both lift with their elbows to get into the high cocked position, but Wheeler's delivery seems to be more high effort and Wheeler has definite hyperabduction of his shoulder. His delivery seems a lot like Strasburg's moreso than Matusz's.

I was thinking more of the extra rocking motion just as he starts to extend...I was going from memory though.

I can't make up my mind. I'm now starting to lean more towards Tyler Matzek. Contrary to what I originally though, it appears that he has better stuff than Wheeler; he just doesn't throw quite as hard (but may end up throwing harder in the future).

This is why...

Best Fastball

Prep -- Jacob Turner, RHP -- Westminster Christian Academy (St. Louis, Mo.)

College -- Stephen Strasburg, RHP - San Diego State

Notable -- Billy Bullock, RHP - Florida

Best Curveball

Prep -- Chad James, LHP -- Yukon HS (Okla.)

College -- Strasburg

Notables -- Ben Tootle, RHP -- Jacksonville State; James Paxton, LHP -- Kentucky

Best Slider

Prep -- Tyler Matzek, LHP -- Capistrano Valley HS (Mission Viejo, Calif.) and Zack Wheeler, RHP -- East Paulding HS (Dallas, Ga.)

College -- Aaron Crow, RHP -- Fort Worth (Missouri, '07)

Notable -- Rex Brothers, LHP - Lipscomb

Best Changeup

Prep - Matzek

College -- Kyle Gibson, RHP -- Missouri; Mike Minor, LHP - Vanderbilt

Notable -- Crow

Best Command/Control

Prep - Matzek

College -- Strasburg

Notable -- Mike Leake, RHP -- Arizona State

Archived