Very solid day 1

While I would have preferred the Orioles to go a different way in the first round, I do think the Hobgood pick is a good one.

And I really liked the next 2 picks...Address the middle IF and go after a power hitting corner IFer....I may have gone Dominguez instead of Townsend but either way, I think it was a very good pick.

Now, let's hope we can get all 3 of these guys signed quickly...Get Givens and Hobgood to Aberdeen or Bluefield and Townsend to Aberdeen or Delmarva...Be nice to see all of them in Delmarva to start the season next year(Townsend maybe even in Frederick if he gets to Delmarva this year and hits well)...That may be a little too much to expect but if they get into the system by July, they could move up to that level if they perform.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not at all an expert on this, but it sounds like we've ended up with (potentially, of course):

A workhorse starter with #1 potential

A long-term shortstop

A power-hitting first baseman.

That sounds like a pretty good day to me, which is about all you can ask for on Draft Day (and up to around three years out).

Per Roch:

Joe Jordan, the Orioles' director of scouting, said the club views second-round pick Mychal Givens as a shortstop and third-round pick Tyler Townsend as either a first baseman or corner outfielder. He'll get the chance to play both at Aberdeen.

Jordan, who was nice enough to take my call after a long day and night, noted that Givens throws 96-97 mph, "but we're sending him out as a shortstop."

"We have a fallback plan, but that's what we're doing," Jordan said. "It's shortstop tools. He's a close to, if not above-average, runner. And he obviously has enough arm to play shortstop. I think there's power there down the road. He's an athletic kid. He's a good pick. We liked him definitely where we took him. I thought it was a good pick where we got him."

Givens likely will be assigned to the Gulf Coast League team.

"I don't think there's any reason to get any more aggressive than that," Jordan said.

http://masnsports.com/2009/06/jordan-talks-about-the-next-tw.html

I won't post the rest of what Roch said, but basically Townsend will report to Aberdeen and wanted to be drafted by the O's; he is from Delaware.

Hobgood and Givens will either start in the GCL or Bluefield. I suspect that Givens is a sure thing for the GCL. I'd guess Hobgood will start at the GCL as well. No way either starts at Aberdeen. As for Townsend, I think you see him play most of the season at Aberdeen. If he absolutely tears it up, they'll move him to Delmarva.

This sounds about right to me. Givens and Hobgood in the GCL or Bluefield. I'd prefer to see them in Bluefield. Townsend is the starting 1B for the Ironbirds. I'd love to see him torch the league and start next year in Frederick, which should be realistic considering his age.

It does seem like a solid haul through three rounds. It's easier to want the "consensus" guys, but I like what I see and read in Hobgood. Maybe there are some conditioning and command issues, but the size, stamina and raw stuff is there for a tremendous pitcher. It seems a relatively safe pick for a HSer too while retaining plenty of upside.

Givens should satisfy the consensus guys. Another typical Jordan pick of a toolsy HS guy who has performed well for a long time in showcase events.

I do not know enough about Townsend to wonder if he would have been there later or not, but Jordan likes raw power and has not drafted a pure 1B this early in his current role as Rowell was drafted for 3B and Snyder for C. One must remember that Nolan Reimold was not a BA Top 200 guy entering the draft.

One must like that Jordan drafted guys he clearly likes - even if it is not in line with a consensus like BA. These initial guys should be relatively easy signs, IMO. Joe Jordan should have PLENTY of dry powder for day 2 so it should be interesting how he negotiates tomorrow.

Per Roch:

I won't post the rest of what Roch said, but basically Townsend will report to Aberdeen and wanted to be drafted by the O's; he is from Delaware.

At least he'll be (reasonably) close to home this year, whether it's at Aberdeen or if he later makes it to Delmarva.

I'm not at all an expert on this, but it sounds like we've ended up with (potentially, of course):

A workhorse starter with #1 potential

A long-term shortstop

A power-hitting first baseman.

That sounds like a pretty good day to me, which is about all you can ask for on Draft Day (and up to around three years out).

Yeah, I wasn't happy about the Hobgood pick, but after reading more about him, it's going to be one of those "trust Jordan" picks.

Givens is interesting and still might be a little bit of a reach, but as long as he's a SS and not a pitcher I can live with that.

And finally the last pick was the best of all IMO for the value. Townsend is a first team All-American on the same team as Ackley and actually beat out Poythress (who was taken in Round 2) for the spot. I think he was a steal with that third rounder and has the potential of being a Todd Helton type of player for us.

Now if we can grab Stassi or Bailey with the fourth rounder before the Mariners do (as they seem to be beating us to the good picks) this has the makings of another good Jordan draft.

Per Roch:

Thanks for this Frobby.

I see he mentioned the fall back plan for Givens...JUst as I said in the other thread...If he looks like, after 2-3 seasons, that he won't make it as a SS, then you can convert him to a power reliever.

We hear that often...guys who were IFers that get converted to pitchers because of their arms...Same thing could happen here and I am sure that is what Jordan is thinking.

I think you nailed it on the head here Hoosiers.... what I am most excited about it is the fact that I believe Jordan got the players he wanted.

From Roch:

The Orioles targeted a high school shortstop or catcher in the second round. They wanted a left-handed power bat in the third.

Seems as if this draft couldn't have been scripted any better for Jordan.

In case anyone missed it, towards the end of the Hobgood thread there's a link to a nice video showing him and his family and friends watching him get selected on MLB TV. He is intervewed towards the end and you can see he's thrilled to be an Oriole. Gotta love that.

From Roch:

Seems as if this draft couldn't have been scripted any better for Jordan.

Have to respectfully disagree. I think Jordan was hoping for one of Nick Franklin and Jiovanni Mier to fall to 2:5. Givens is fine, and he's a great athlete, but I really don't love him as a SS. He has great hands, so it doesn't matter much yet, but he has a tendency to swipe at the ball. He has plenty of arm for SS -- more than enough -- but he I don't love his arm action when he throws across the diamond. His bat is a big question for me.

Now, Jordan gets paid to do this and has many, many years on me and many, many more resources. I just don't love Givens at this spot, though it's better than Givens the relief pitcher at this spot.

Townsend is fine, as well, but I went with Chris Domingue, 3B, Louisville. I'm not sure Townsend wouldn't have been there at 4:5 -- in which case BAL could have grabbed an arm that slipped or another high upside OF. Even a prep catcher would have worked well if you were counting on Townsend as your power guy. Heck, I would be happy selecting Dustin Dickerson (Baylor) if I was set on Townsend.

I think you are correct it was a solid first day, but I don't consider it outstanding, personally. I'm happy that Jordan and the O's were targeting the same player-types that Jon and I set in our draft strategy. It's obvious we think a little more like San Francisco than we do Baltimore...

Archived