14th Round-David Baker RHP, CA HS

• 2 months later...

While I'm very excited about this draft and all the talent we've added to the organization, I think most would agree that the very early performance of the new draft picks that have started playing has not been great. Some not so great starts (Townsend, Dallas, etc) and some good but not dominating starts (Hobgood, etc).

I'm not trying to say that this has me discouraged about the draft or these prospects (I understand small sample sizes, adjusting to pro ball, etc). Instead, I just wanted to point out that the only truly dominating performance so far has come from an unlikely source: 14th round pick David Baker.

He's a RHP drafted out of HS in CA. After today's performance, his stats on the year are: 15.2 IP, 13 H, 3 BB, 20 K, 2.30 ERA.

He's around half a year younger than Hobgood or Wirsch and is 6'4", so seems like he might have some potential. I haven't heard anything about him -- either in terms of stuff or what we paid to sign him. Anyone with any info on him and whether he has some upside and a chance to be a real prospect would be much appreciated.

Also, any update on Cowan (hasn't pitched in awhile) would also be appreciated.

Finally, Kyle Hoppy made his debut with the GCL O's tonight. I assume the season's winding down, but this has become a fun team to follow between Baker, Wirsch, Ohlman, Hoppy and Webb.

I think most would agree that the very early performance of the new draft picks that have started playing has not been great.

I'm not trying to say that this has me discouraged about the draft or these prospects (I understand small sample sizes, adjusting to pro ball, etc). Instead, I just wanted to point out that the only truly dominating performance so far has come from an unlikely source: 14th round pick David Baker.

I would not say he is the ONLY dominating performance so far from this year's draft.

Take a look at 38 round pick Joshua Dowdy. He's already been promoted to Aberdeen from Bluefield. His combined stats:

3-1, 1.73 ERA, 7 SV, 31K, 7BB, 1.15 WHIP in 26 IP

Oh, and I do NOT agree with you about our draft picks' play so far.

:skeletor:

I would not say he is the ONLY dominating performance so far from this year's draft.

Take a look at 38 round pick Joshua Dowdy. He's already been promoted to Aberdeen from Bluefield. His combined stats:

3-1, 1.73 ERA, 7 SV, 31K, 7BB, 1.15 WHIP in 26 IP

Oh, and I do NOT agree with you about our draft picks' play so far.

:skeletor:

OK, I missed Dowdy, and there are a few other pitchers doing well so far that I hadn't noticed (Palsha and Brandhorst). On the hitting side, not too much to get excited about so far, though many of the more highly regarded guys haven't really gotten started yet. On the whole, not sure how you can argue that the performances on the whole have not been overwhelming so far, especially among the higher draft picks. Here is the list I could toss together:

Hobgood: 5.40 ERA, 21.2 IP, 27 H, 7 BB, 13 K

Townsend: .129 AVG, .211 OBP, .247 SLG, .458 OPS, 26 K in 85 AB

Dallas: .212 AVG, .255 OBP, .263 SLG, .517 OPS

Wirsch: 2.16 ERA, 16.2 IP, 12 H, 10 BB, 18 K

Cowan: 3.60 ERA, 15 IP, 11 H, 7 BB, 17 K

Bumbry: .233 AVG, .358 OBP, .379 SLG, .736 OPS, 43 K in 103 AB

Kelly: .274 AVG, .364 OBP, .326 SLG, .691 OPS

Baker: 2.30 ERA, 15.2 IP, 13 H, 3 BB, 20 K

Palsha: 4.98 ERA, 21.2 IP, 23 H, 6 BB, 31 K

Schutz: .256 AVG, .348 OBP, .322 SLG, .670 OPS

Brandhorst: 1.50 ERA, 24 IP, 19 H, 6 BB, 26 K

Landry: 3.47 ERA, 23.1 IP, 20 H, 15 BB, 35 K

Mooney: .219 AVG, .305 OBP, .301 SLG, .607 OPS

Anderson: 2.86 ERA, 34.2 IP, 39 H, 14 BB, 27 K

Mechaw: 6.86 ERA, 21 IP, 21 H, 11 BB, 12 K

Planeta: .298 AVG, .329 OBP, .415 SLG, .743 OPS

Webb: .182 AVG, .357 OBP, .242 SLG, .600 OPS (just 33 ABs)

Flacco: .269 AVG, .323 OBP, .420 SLG, .743 OPS

Dowdy: 1.73 ERA, 26 IP, 23 H, 7 BB, 31 K

Some thoughts:

I definitely agree with RZNJ that the pitchers are looking better than the hitters so far. Will be interesting to see if that keeps up next year. If it does, since this discrepancy started so early on in players' careers, it would indicate that for hitters the scouting/drafting is more of a problem than the player development. Way, way too early to conclude anything at this point, but one hypothesis/theory to keep an eye on going forward.

You can argue about how exactly you would categorize players' performance, but that wasn't the main point of my earlier post. To get back to that, would love to hear more info on Baker, and whether he has a chance to develop into an impact starter. Would also love to hear any more info on these other later-round pitchers doing well (Dowdy, Palsha, Brandhorst), to hear if any of them have the potential to become impact starters, etc.

Thanks.

To get back to that, would love to hear more info on Baker, and whether he has a chance to develop into an impact starter. Would also love to hear any more info on these other later-round pitchers doing well (Dowdy, Palsha, Brandhorst), to hear if any of them have the potential to become impact starters, etc.

Thanks.

He has a brother currently with the Rockies organization. Craig Baker Modesto Nuts. Seems to be doing quite well and will be on the AFL roster this year

He has a brother currently with the Rockies organization. Craig Baker Modesto Nuts. Seems to be doing quite well and will be on the AFL roster this year

Yeah, I remember reading this, too. Here's a link to a nice article on the "Baker Boys!" They sound like a couple of good, talented kids.

http://www.pe.com/sports/baseball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_baker_23.3cc4934.html

Archived