It should be a fun exercise to do a shadow draft, which is simply listing who you would have taken as each Orioles pick was up for selection.

Let's try to keep it simple and go Seven Rounds and it should be fun to look back upon it to see how we did. :)

First, the actual picks...

1. Matt Hobgood

2. Mychal Givens

3. Tyler Townsend

4. Randy Henry

5. Ashur Tolliver

6. Justin Dalles

7. Aaron Wirsch

My picks...

1. Grant Green, SS, USC (Matzek rated just ahead of Green, but perceived signability issues have me thinking Green here.)

2. Garrett Gould, RHP, HS (KS)

3. Max Stassi, C, HS (CA)

4. Jeff Malm, 1B, HS (NV)

5. Dan Tuttle, RHP, HS (NC)

6. Danny Fields, SS, HS (MI)

7. Ian Krol, LHP, HS (IL) (I would've taken Josh Leyland, C, HS (CA) here, but with Stassi already aboard, I went Krol)

It should be a fun exercise to do a shadow draft, which is simply listing who you would have taken as each Orioles pick was up for selection.

Let's try to keep it simple and go Seven Rounds and it should be fun to look back upon it to see how we did. :)

First, the actual picks...

1. Matt Hobgood

2. Mychal Givens

3. Tyler Townsend

4. Randy Henry

5. Ashur Tolliver

6. Justin Dalles

7. Aaron Wirsch

My picks...

1. Grant Green, SS, USC (Matzek rated just ahead of Green, but perceived signability issues have me thinking Green here.)

2. Garrett Gould, RHP, HS (KS)

3. Max Stassi, C, HS (CA)

4. Jeff Malm, 1B, HS (NV)

5. Dan Tuttle, RHP, HS (NC)

6. Danny Fields, SS, HS (MI)

7. Ian Krol, LHP, HS (IL)

I'm not sure the ultimate value of the exercise post draft, as people are now aware of who would be available and for how long. No?

Anyway, here was my ten done during the draft:

1:5 -- Zack Wheeler, RHP, E. Paulding HS (GA)

2:5 -- Todd Glaesmann, OF, Midway HS (TX)

3:5 -- Chris Dominguez, 3B/1B, Louisville

4:5 -- Dustin Dickerson, 1B, Baylor Univ.

5:5 -- Ian Krol, LHP, Neuqua HS (IL)

6:5 -- Madison Younginer, RHP, Mauldin HS (SC)

7:5 -- Brody Colvin, RHP, St. Thom. More HS (LA)

8:5 -- Kendal Volz, RHP, Baylor Univ.

9:5 -- Ryan Berry, RHP, Rice Univ.

10:5 -- Sam Dyson, RHP, Univ. of S. Carolina

I think it should be called the hindsight draft ;)

1. Matt Hobgood

2. Mychal Givens

3. Tyler Townsend

4. Randy Henry

5. Ashur Tolliver

6. Justin Dalles

7. Aaron Wirsch

Mine:

1. Zach Wheeler - would have said Matzek, but I'll split the money difference to spend some later.

2. Tom Mendonca

3. Chris Dominquez

4. Kent Matthes

5. Jeff Malm

6. Brian Moran

7. Ian Krol

P.S. - I love your 8-10 Stotle

I think it should be called the hindsight draft ;)

1. Matt Hobgood

2. Mychal Givens

3. Tyler Townsend

4. Randy Henry

5. Ashur Tolliver

6. Justin Dalles

7. Aaron Wirsch

Mine:

1. Zach Wheeler - would have said Matzek, but I'll split the money difference to spend some later.

2. Tom Mendonca

3. Chris Dominquez

4. Kent Matthes

5. Jeff Malm

6. Brian Moran

7. Ian Krol

P.S. - I love your 8-10 Stotle

Thanks -- jealous you get Mendonca (he's a better bet than Dominguez, to me). Here is my hindsight seven (or simply what we would have done had I been smart enough to not change Craw and my plans from last night...:():

1. Wheeler

2. Glaesmann

3. Dominguez

4. Stassi

5. Dickerson

6. Krol

7. Colvin

Thanks -- jealous you get Mendonca (he's a better bet than Dominguez, to me). Here is my hindsight seven (or simply what we would have done had I been smart enough to not change Craw and my plans from last night...:():

1. Wheeler

2. Glaesmann

3. Dominguez

4. Stassi

5. Dickerson

6. Krol

7. Colvin

Nice. Last night I would have gone with the 1-3 I posted given who was still out there, would have taken Matthes in the 4th today, probably would have taken Krol in the 5th though, I think the 7th was a little low for him. Meh, what do I know.

Nice. Last night I would have gone with the 1-3 I posted given who was still out there, would have taken Matthes in the 4th today, probably would have taken Krol in the 5th though, I think the 7th was a little low for him. Meh, what do I know.

I pegged him Rounds 5-8 with 2nd or 3rd round money (as what I would offer). Once he was around at 5:5 I jumped. Obviously, two picks too early...

Same comment as last year - even the Pentagon would be jealous of the proposed spend above.

Money for the draft should not be a factor for the Orioles whatsoever.

If we can blow $15 million on retreads we can blow $15 million on the draft.

Money for the draft should not be a factor for the Orioles whatsoever.

If we can blow $15 million on retreads we can blow $15 million on the draft.

If you spend more $ than any major league team in the draft, then there's no basis in reality for the exercise.

Same comment as last year - even the Pentagon would be jealous of the proposed spend above.

I think that's an incorrect critique. I don't agree with the picks, per se -- you probably have to give Malm way more than he is now worth to buy him out of USC, for example -- but what's wrong with this approach so long as you note you may only end up signing half the guys?

That, I think, would be the correct analysis. How does Matzek, Seager, Townsend, Moran match-up against the actual top seven? Swap Matzek for Hobgood or perhaps Wheeler and you have room for one or two of Stassi/Malm/Krol.

If you spend more $ than any major league team in the draft, then there's no basis in reality for the exercise.
What about the Rangers draft of Purke, Scheppers, Mendonca, etc? What about the Nats by simply drafting Strasburg? To me, Jtrea's picks aren't outlandish at all.

I'm not sure the ultimate value of the exercise post draft, as people are now aware of who would be available and for how long. No?

Anyway, here was my ten done during the draft:

1:5 -- Zack Wheeler, RHP, E. Paulding HS (GA)

2:5 -- Todd Glaesmann, OF, Midway HS (TX)

3:5 -- Chris Dominguez, 3B/1B, Louisville

4:5 -- Dustin Dickerson, 1B, Baylor Univ.

5:5 -- Ian Krol, LHP, Neuqua HS (IL)

6:5 -- Madison Younginer, RHP, Mauldin HS (SC)

7:5 -- Brody Colvin, RHP, St. Thom. More HS (LA)

8:5 -- Kendal Volz, RHP, Baylor Univ.

9:5 -- Ryan Berry, RHP, Rice Univ.

10:5 -- Sam Dyson, RHP, Univ. of S. Carolina

That's true, but I know who I would have prefered at each pick (going by my personal board)... and didn't take into account where they went eventually. But you are correct that for some posters it may be perceived that way. I was too tied up last night to do this thread live. :o

That's true, but I know who I would have prefered at each pick (going by my personal board)... and didn't take into account where they went eventually. But you are correct that for some posters it may be perceived that way. I was too tied up last night to do this thread live. :o

Oh, I didn't mean you, Greg. I could see you weren't taking that into account. It was a general musing, that's all!

I think that's an incorrect critique. I don't agree with the picks, per se -- you probably have to give Malm way more than he is now worth to buy him out of USC, for example -- but what's wrong with this approach so long as you note you may only end up signing half the guys?

That, I think, would be the correct analysis. How does Matzek, Seager, Townsend, Moran match-up against the actual top seven? Swap Matzek for Hobgood or perhaps Wheeler and you have room for one or two of Stassi/Malm/Krol.

Why is it an incorrect critique when you follow that statement up admitting the guys can't be signed or should be swapped out?

If one is drafting combinations of guys that are in excess of what teams are spending in reality, then it's a wish list - not an exercise worth judging against what real GMs do.

Archived