WWBA Videos and Comments

I have to keep it short as I'm getting caught-up at the office and working on at least two articles relating to this weekend's tournament. Needless to say, it was an outstanding collection of a majority of the top HSers in this year's class, as well as some kids to watch from the 2011 and even 2012 classes.

I'm editing video (have gotten through one of the three days so far) and will try and post some of them up here. To get started, here's Dylan Covey. Covey threw for the (as usual) talented San Gabriel Valley Arsenal team -- going 3 IP on Friday night, allowing 1 H, 2 BB and an unearned run while striking out five. He's generally low-90s with life on his FB but got it up to 95 on the gun without sacrificing movement. You'll see in the video he mixes-in a true 12-6 power curve that sits low 80s. HIs change-up is raw, but he shows an understanding of how to throw it -- it'll just take some time. For those not familiar, he's one of the arms considered to be a potential first rounder, and likely top 50 or so selection:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6JsBi0Yx4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6JsBi0Yx4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, this is one of the guys I think who could be a high riser before the draft. Right now, he seems like a 20s guy come June. He has two decent pitches and a feel for a third. If he starts flashing better command of those pitches he could jump into the top 10.

Yeah, this is one of the guys I think who could be a high riser before the draft. Right now, he seems like a 20s guy come June. He has two decent pitches and a feel for a third. If he starts flashing better command of those pitches he could jump into the top 10.

Well, to be fair, if he's in the 20s right now there isn't much room to rise. :) That'd put him at around the fifth or sixth best HS arm in the draft (I'm guessing you'd have him behind Whitson, Taillon, Cole, Smelter and maybe Cowart or Allie? After seeing Cowart a fair amount, I'm not sure where I like him better -- in the field or on the mound. Love the arm, but I think he may be too good offensively and at SS/3B to limit him to action once every five days.

Well, to be fair, if he's in the 20s right now there isn't much room to rise. :) That'd put him at around the fifth or sixth best HS arm in the draft (I'm guessing you'd have him behind Whitson, Taillon, Cole, Smelter and maybe Cowart or Allie? After seeing Cowart a fair amount, I'm not sure where I like him better -- in the field or on the mound. Love the arm, but I think he may be too good offensively and at SS/3B to limit him to action once every five days.

Yeah, I am optimistic with him . . . probably too much. I think where I stand right now is that I kind of have a defensible idea of the top 20ish guys and then I have a group I just lump together behind. Covey would be one of those guys who I think can make up some ground.

I think Taillon, Cole, and Whitson are the only guys I am confident in who will remain in the top 20 . . . as long as no injuries surface.

Here is Whitson's video. His line was 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 9 SO, 0 BB. Topped out at 95 mph with the fastball and hit low-80s with his breaking ball and low- to mid-80s with his change-up:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Qe5hxTN0A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Qe5hxTN0A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here is Whitson's video. His line was 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 9 SO, 0 BB. Topped out at 95 mph with the fastball and hit low-80s with his breaking ball and low- to mid-80s with his change-up:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Qe5hxTN0A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Qe5hxTN0A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

His arm decelerates pretty quickly.

I have a feeling Whitson is going to overtake Cole as the #2 HS arm. I personally like him a bit more than Cole. I think too much of Cole's value is wrapped up in his projectability which isnt a horrible thing, because he has been adding more and more velo, but even if hes throwing 100 MPH, if his secondaries never come around, I like the guy who can throw 95 and has a complete arsenal of quality pitches....

Very clean and easy. Not much to dislike about his arm action and mechanics -- pretty good little draft eligible, eh? How'd he look paired with Hobgood (or Zack Wheeler)...?:scratchchinhmm:

Yeah, it looks incredibly easy. The only thing peculiar was the arm deceleration. It is not enough to be concerned with, but it is noticeable.

Just to add to this . . . one peculiar aspect of a rotation does not mean the end of the world. I think we had this conversation before with X aggerate.

I wonder if Wheeler inverted W had anything at all to do with the reason we did not take him. Whenever I go to Sickels site, I cannot help but see the same fanshot of Wheeler with his inverted W.

It would be pretty sweet to take a guy like Whitson and bring him along with Hobby, Bundy and Beal since they will all be basically on the same level. If Whitson ends up asking for $3 or 4 Mill and Taillon and Cole are both seeking around the $8 mil range, I could definitely see us taking a guy like Whitson or even Covey so we can have some more money for later on.

At this point, is Stetson Allie looking like hes gonna be drafted as a pitcher or 3B? You'd think that his golden arm may get him more money as a pitcher, even if his best chance of success is as a position player where it sounds like he may be more well rounded.....This is a guy I personally hope we stay away from and sounds like the kinda guy we may have previously drafted(all arm as a pitcher). Though he could be a devastating late inning guy.....

I wonder if Wheeler inverted W had anything at all to do with the reason we did not take him. Whenever I go to Sickels site, I cannot help but see the same fanshot of Wheeler with his inverted W.

It would be pretty sweet to take a guy like Whitson and bring him along with Hobby, Bundy and Beal since they will all be basically on the same level. If Whitson ends up asking for $3 or 4 Mill and Taillon and Cole are both seeking around the $8 mil range, I could definitely see us taking a guy like Whitson or even Covey so we can have some more money for later on.

At this point, is Stetson Allie looking like hes gonna be drafted as a pitcher or 3B? You'd think that his golden arm may get him more money as a pitcher, even if his best chance of success is as a position player where it sounds like he may be more well rounded.....This is a guy I personally hope we stay away from and sounds like the kinda guy we may have previously drafted(all arm as a pitcher). Though he could be a devastating late inning guy.....

Allie's still very much a thrower. He's hit 99 mph on the gun, but really struggles with control. He came in relief for Whitson last Friday, up 2-1 in the 6th. He walked two allowed a hit and, I believe, hit a batter, losing the lead and the game. He's really tough to hit, but will need to harness his stuff to be effective as a pitcher. He has good raw power at the plate, but I don't see him sticking at 3B. So, if the choice is 1B or P, I think it comes down to how much control he shows through the spring.

Allie's still very much a thrower. He's hit 99 mph on the gun, but really struggles with control. He came in relief for Whitson last Friday, up 2-1 in the 6th. He walked two allowed a hit and, I believe, hit a batter, losing the lead and the game. He's really tough to hit, but will need to harness his stuff to be effective as a pitcher. He has good raw power at the plate, but I don't see him sticking at 3B. So, if the choice is 1B or P, I think it comes down to how much control he shows through the spring.

I think a bit of Colt Griffin when I consider Allie. Naturally Allie will become the next Roger Clemens, etc... ;)

He is a talented player/pitcher, but has a long way to go to reach his lofty ceiling.

Archived