Sickels on Snyder

Frobby

John Sickels just got back from a trip to watch the AFL for a few days. Here is his response to a question about Brandon Snyder (I assume the question came from our own wickedwitch):

What did you think of Brandon Snyder? How is his defense looking?

by wickedwitch on Nov 11, 2009 3:19 PM EST reply actions 0 recs

snyder Didn’t get a great read on his defense. With the bat, he hammered stuff on the outer half of the plate, hitting it strongly to the opposite field, but he had more difficulty with stuff inside. Scouts seem rather skeptical about his ability to hit enough to be a regular 1B.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/11/11/1126376/arizona-fall-league-q-a-thread#storyjump

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few other bits I missed the first time:

Brandon Waring Can he hang at third?

by StickRat on Nov 12, 2009 3:27 AM EST reply actions 0 recs

Waring Don’t know. Didn’t see enough of him to get a read.

by Paul5418 on Nov 12, 2009 3:43 AM EST reply actions 0 recs

Josh Bell How was his defense?

bell Don’t know. Only saw him play defense in one game. Everyone seems to like his bat though.

Haha, wow how helpful.

FWIW, I was quite comforted by the little I got to see of Snyder's defense in the rising stars game. He looked more comfortable than when I saw him last and I don't think he would have made that diving catch a year or two ago. The kid sure works hard.

I don't think Snyder's your long term solution at first; not enough power. So I certainly wouldn't waste time with some retread like Blalock or Delgado next year so we can "wait" for Snyder to be ready.

If all goes well I think he can be a solid .825-.850 OPS 1B with a decent enough glove. Not all-star production but around league average on the cheap. He could be enough if we make up some offense in other areas (and with guys like Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Reimold etc. we may not have to acquire anyone else to do that).

Did Sickels watch anyone play defense?

I suppose he ranks them on their bat alone. So Josh Bell gets brought up and he says a lot of people seem to like his bat. No kidding, deep insight there. Snyder gets brought up a lot of people say that they do not think his bat can play at first (Does that mean his glove can?).

Can I answer these questions next time? Man.

Did Sickels watch anyone play defense?

Getting a good read on a player's defense takes more than a few games, I think. At least most of the time. You might get an idea of his footwork and hands, but his range will be a mystery until you have seen him really tested on different kinds of chances, and that usually takes a while unless you happen to get lucky.

If all goes well I think he can be a solid .825-.850 OPS 1B with a decent enough glove. Not all-star production but around league average on the cheap. He could be enough if we make up some offense in other areas (and with guys like Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Reimold etc. we may not have to acquire anyone else to do that).

The Orioles are playing in the American League East. You don't put a so-so hitter on first, hoping to make up for that lack of production elsewhere. You put a stud on first!

The Orioles are playing in the American League East. You don't put a so-so hitter on first, hoping to make up for that lack of production elsewhere. You put a stud on first!

Yup! If you do put a so-so hitter at 1b:

- Wieters would have to be a MVP contender every year

- Adam Jones would have to be the player he was in the first half of the year

- Reimold would have to be a 30 - 35 hr guy vs 20 - 25 hrs.

etc...

If Sickels said Snyder was a stud, would people be commenting about Sickels not seeing the players vs hearing things?

Archived