What to do with Bonds' ball?

Pedro Cerrano

It's not just some eccentric though. It's Mark Ecko, the multi-millionaire designer, and that makes all the difference to me. This looks like one big publicity stunt. I haven't been able to find any info on Ecko actually being a baseball fan in the least before this. I think it'd be awesome for the ball to go into Cooperstown with an asterisk, but not because a multi-millionaire put it up to vote. That just isn't meaningful to me. If it were vandalized by an angry fan then it would hold more weight to me, not something politely put to vote by Mark freaking Ecko.

Who cares who put it to vote? He's only going by the results of the vote, which is determined by US.

And why would you be able to find info on the net about whether or not someone is a baseball fan? Is that gonna be listed under their bio? :rolleyes:

TGO is right. The IRS wouldn't want taxes on anything until you sold it. Catching the ball is a windfall. You don't have actual income until you sell it.

This is ALSO not legal advice. ;)

According to the link which talks about Bonds' comments on the matter: "Some tax experts said Murphy would have owed hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes based on a reasonable estimate of the ball's value even if he had never sold it. He may also have faced capital gains taxes as the ball gained value."

So he may have been subjected to heavy taxes.

Archived