Great news from Hobgood

Ohfan67

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you have to take physical education like I did every day in Middle and High School?

We took PE every year in middle school but it may not have been every day; I can't remember. I believe we had to take only one year of PE in high school. But I took 3 and a half years.

My point is, McLovin is right. You are stereotyping, you just don't want anyone to call it that. You are trying to say there is an average time in someone's life when they're the most in shape, but there isn't.

I did nothing of the sort. I said he appears overweight and out of shape and apparently I am not the only person who thinks so. The Orioles apparently think so as well which is why he is trying to shape up.

Yes, you did. I'm not going to keep presenting your own words back to you. They're there for everyone to see, right up there.

If I said that the average HS male who played a sport was 6 foot and 160 pounds (across all high schools in the U.S.) that isn't stero typing it is an analysis of facts.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was 'analysis of facts'. I guess you're right then.

(Don't quote me as that being accurate as I truly have no idea that is just a guess).

Wait... I thought these were facts? I thought there was analysis?

If you have a problem with that type of statistical or comparison of the norm than you need to stop being so sensitive because there is nothing whatsover wrong with that statement.

So... Anyway... Where are these stats again? Or are you just making up standardized and simplified conceptions of groups, based on some prior assumptions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype

We took PE every year in middle school but it may not have been every day; I can't remember. I believe we had to take only one year of PE in high school. But I took 3 and a half years.

My point is, McLovin is right. You are stereotyping, you just don't want anyone to call it that. You are trying to say there is an average time in someone's life when they're the most in shape, but there isn't.

Well, you are simply wrong. I see no way there isn't an particular time in life where the average person is in better shape. Of course there are exceptions like fitness guru's and personal trainers but stop and think about this for a second. In Middle and High School I took some form of physical education every day for 6 years. It sounds like you did so most of your HS years.

Anyway,I recall being really sore after starting school every year because I stopped exercising daily over the summer. So any period of time where you are exercising daily is going to be the time you are in your best shape and as most folks age and take on work and family responsiblities they simply don't have time to work out daily like they did in HS unless they are a phys ed teacher or persona trainer. Its just common sense not sterotyping anyone.:eek:

Yes, you did. I'm not going to keep presenting your own words back to you. They're there for everyone to see, right up there.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was 'analysis of facts'. I guess you're right then.

Wait... I thought these were facts? I thought there was analysis?

So... Anyway... Where are these stats again? Or are you just making up standardized and simplified conceptions of groups, based on some prior assumptions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype[/quote

Division I:

The typical Division I baseball player is ‘polished’ and already has all the tools necessary to be successful as a freshman. As opposed to the Division II baseball player, the typical DI player needs far less development, if any. The position players possess at least 4 of the 5 measurable tools – hit for average, hit for power, arm strength, speed, and defensive abilities. The pitchers display a command of at least 3 pitches with high velocities. On average, they have the ability to throw many innings, and most often they are only used on the mound and rarely as position players. Most D1 players come from large high schools. Many of these programs are considered the best in their area or in the state. In addition, most DI players have been awarded accolades such as All-Area, All-County, or All-State.

The average characteristics by position are as follows: Right Handed Pitchers:

-Height: 6’1”-Weight: 180 lbs.-Over 1 K per Inning Pitched

-ERA below 2.50

-Velocity: 88-90 MPH (Verified by neutral source)

Left Handed Pitchers:

-Height: 6’1”

-Weight: 180 lbs.

-1 K per Inning Pitched

-ERA below 2.50

-Velocity: 85-87 MPH (Verified by neutral source)

Per Wikopedia.

Average weight of a 18 year old white U.S. male is 155 lbs.

Average height of a 18 year old white U.S male is 5'8".

I was 5' 11" and 145 pounds when I was 18. A bit taller than average and also thinner.

So there is indeed an average and this isn't sterotyping its just the facts. DEAL WITH IT like a man!

Well, you are simply wrong. I see no way there isn't an particular time in life where the average person is in better shape. Of course there are exceptions like fitness guru's and personal trainers but stop and think about this for a second. In Middle and High School I took some form of physical education every day for 6 years. It sounds like you did so most of your HS years.

Anyway,I recall being really sore after starting school every year because I stopped exercising daily over the summer. So any period of time where you are exercising daily is going to be the time you are in your best shape and as most folks age and take on work and family responsiblities they simply don't have time to work out daily like they did in HS unless they are a phys ed teacher or persona trainer. Its just common sense not sterotyping anyone.:eek:

Just because you're in gym class every day doesn't mean your body is getting anything out of it. Gym class is not necessarily the same as "working out." I was weak in high school because I was lazy about applying myself in gym class at most sports and because, like a lot of teenagers, I was tired all the time for no particular reason, especially in the morning, and for two years in high school I had gym first period. So despite the fact that I lifted some weights, played some half court basketball and softball or whatever every day, it wasn't doing anything for me.

I started running when I graduated college and ran fairly regularly for 2-3 years while I was working and then when I was back in school. Despite the fact that I was "only" exercising maybe 3 times a week instead of 5, I was in far better shape than when I was in gym class every day. And if I was motivated to do it, I guarantee I could start back up and be in better shape when I turn 28 later this year than I was at 25.

Just because you're in gym class every day doesn't mean your body is getting anything out of it. Gym class is not necessarily the same as "working out." I was weak in high school because I was lazy about applying myself in gym class at most sports and because, like a lot of teenagers, I was tired all the time for no particular reason, especially in the morning, and for two years in high school I had gym first period. So despite the fact that I lifted some weights, played some half court basketball and softball or whatever every day, it wasn't doing anything for me.

I started running when I graduated college and ran fairly regularly for 2-3 years while I was working and then when I was back in school. Despite the fact that I was "only" exercising maybe 3 times a week instead of 5, I was in far better shape than when I was in gym class every day. And if I was motivated to do it, I guarantee I could start back up and be in better shape when I turn 28 later this year than I was at 25.

Well, when I graduated from HS I took Karate for a while and was also in superb shape and weighed 152 pounds at age 25. However I only went to karate class two days per week and overall I was in better shape in HS as I could run further and be less tired. You made yourself run every day. Very few people do this once they get out of HS, the physical exercise dwindles. Most people don't have the self discipline you had in running for three years. That I gurantee you is not the norm. I have numerous friends and relatives and only one cousin is a runner. You are a rare breed.

Well, when I graduated from HS I took Karate for a while and was also in superb shape and weighed 152 pounds at age 25. However I only went to karate class two days per week and overall I was in better shape in HS as I could run further and be less tired. You made yourself run every day. Very few people do this once they get out of HS, the physical exercise dwindles.

As I said, I only ran 3 times a week. And honestly that's probably generous. I wasn't religious about it at all.

As I said, I only ran 3 times a week. And honestly that's probably generous. I wasn't religious about it at all.

That's still way above average. I only ran in HS because I had to in order to get my grade. No way I would have done that on my own. More people are like me than you in that regard (hate running).

Average weight of a 18 year old white U.S. male is 155 lbs.

Average height of a 18 year old white U.S male is 5'8".[/b]

I was 5' 11" and 145 pounds when I was 18. A bit taller than average and also thinner.

So there is indeed an average and this isn't sterotyping its just the facts. DEAL WITH IT like a man!

We're talking about his fitness - his BMI and such. Try to keep up. When a kid is 6'4", it's of little value to compare him to the height and weight of the average American male, or even the average American D1 player.

For all we know Hobgood ate McDonald's 3 meals a day and still was dominant enough to become the Gatorade player of the year. He's since focused on getting in shape and has gotten off to a solid start, and he admits he still isn't where he wants to be

"I didn't get to where they wanted me weight wise. I lost about 17 pounds of body fat and gained nine pounds of muscle. That's 26 pounds total if I had taken off that muscle.

"The goals I've set for myself are for the long run and they can be achieved. But as for this off season, I felt I did really well for that time frame. Physically I am ahead of where I was at last year at Bluefield."

Does it concern me his body fat was 22%? I guess a little. Some kids are just bigger than others, it's called genetics.

Did you have to take physical education like I did every day in Middle and High School?

I had to run a mile 3 days a week in high school and we still had a lot of obese kids.

The biggest problem to children obesity isn't the lack of physical activity (it is still a problem), but the lack of nutritional knowledge. Parents need to wake up and start monitoring what their kids eat and drink. It blows my mind how it is common for a kid to have soda EVERYDAY. I will not let my kid drink soda ONCE A MONTH. Not to mention all the junk they are eating because they are too lazy to make a salad or any healthy home cooked meal.

For all we know Hobgood ate McDonald's 3 meals a day and still was dominant enough to become the Gatorade player of the year. He's since focused on getting in shape and has gotten off to a solid start, and he admits he still isn't where he wants to be

Does it concern me his body fat was 22%? I guess a little. Some kids are just bigger than others, it's called genetics.

22% body fat is perfectly acceptable. He probably wants to get it to the 15% which slowly he should easily be able to do. He will get a ton of exercise just from being a professional athlete. He just needs to work on his diet (just like 85% of the public).

Athletes generally are in the 6-13% range. A fit person would be in the 14-17%. Your consider overweight with 27+% and obese over 38%.

It is very easy to lose body fat when you're 18-25 so I have full confidence Hobgood will get to his desire level of fitness. He appears to have a really strong head on his shoulders.

We're talking about his fitness - his BMI and such. Try to keep up. When a kid is 6'4", it's of little value to compare him to the height and weight of the average American male, or even the average American D1 player.

I have no idea how to have a conversation with you. The last time you posted in response to me you seemed like you were trying to chew me out for stereo typing merely because I said the average person is usually in their best shape of their life in high school.:eek::rolleyes: I showed you the average height and weight of an 18 year old (HS) male and if you think most folks keep that weight all their lives you are sadly mistaken. Most Americans are overweight (like me) and wish they were anywhere close to their HS weight! You probably should look at your parents or some of their friends or people their age in a public place and you will realize I am speaking the truth here.

One day if you live long enough and go to your 35 year class reunion like I just did you will realize that 98 percent of your classmates (and probably you too) have gotten heavier over the years and some who used to be thin as a rail down right portly. I would guess that my graduating class of 1973 probably had maybe at the most 15-20 percent kid who would be considered overweight or fat. Now, I would say there is less than 15% of my class that isn't overweight or fat! And I am sure my class is pretty normal.

Archived