NCAAT discussion thread..Upsets? Seeding? Teams to watch?

Sports Guy

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. The two lowest 1 seeds got the easiest paths; just dumb.

I know its tough to seed this thing and do it fairly across the board but the geography stuff really hurts how they do it...I am not saying its their fault but it still hurts things.

I mean, Duke may have to beat Texas A&M and Baylor in Houston? They are a 1 seed and have that disadvantage? Syracuse is looking at Gonzaga in the second round, a team that has been ranked in the top 15 most of the year?

KU having the toughest bracket albeit the easiest path to get to the sweet 16?

I mean, when you think about it, even though that Kansas bracket is tough, they are likely only going to have to face 2 of GTown, OSU, MD and MSU...That's not really some unusually tough trip to get to the final 4 but still, its a tough road and it shouldn't be as tough for them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if L'ville knocks off Dook...who in the heck makes the Elite 8 from that half of the South? There really are no other "good" teams there. If Dook can't make that Elite 8, they should be banned from future post season play.

The South has been making me scratch my head since 6 PM last night.

As for my upsets (and I know they'll be changing):

First round: UTEP over Butler, Mizzou over Clemson, Utah St. over Texas A&M, ODU over Notre Dame.

(Still thinking about Siena over Purdue, Murray St. over Vandy, San Diego St. over Tennessee)

Second round: UTEP over Vandy/Murray St., Xavier over Pitt, Temple over Wisconsin, Utah St. over Purdue/Siena.

(Still thinking about Marquette over New Mexico--haven't seen much of NM. I'm also really tempted to take Richmond over 'Nova.)

Love that A-10.

Who is your first #1 or #2 seed to fall???

I'm leaning towards Nova. Could also be Kan St or Kentucky. I fell fairly confident Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, WV, and Ohio St make it to the Elite Eight.

There are a few #2 seeds I really want to take out early.

As much as I like OSU and Turner, I really feel like GT, if that's who they play, could cause serious issues for them down low.

I also think BYU has a real shot at the elite 8, including beating KSU...The thing is, BYU has been awful in the tourney for a while now, so its tough to think they are all of a sudden going to turn that around...But if they beat Florida, i think there is a good chance they beat K state.

But in my actual bracket, I have 3 #1 seeds in the final 4, along with WVU.

So, first #1 seed to lose is Kentucky in the elite 8...I have Nova out in the sweet 16...i think they will beat Duke if they play them but I don't like how they ended the year and I think they could get bounced early.

I think I have OSU out in the sweet 16 to GTown as well.

I'm leaning towards Nova. Could also be Kan St or Kentucky. I fell fairly confident Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, WV, and Ohio St make it to the Elite Eight.

Richmond v Villanova, BYU v Kansas St, and Gonzaga v Syracuse could all be really tough games for the higher seeds. I picked BYU to beat KSU but didn't pick any of the other ones, although any of them losing wouldn't be the most surprising thing to me.

WVU really should make it to the Elite Eight but Huggy Bear teams have a history of choking when they are highly seeded.

I have been thinking about this and I am no longer feeling sorry for Kansas.

As I said, for the all the talk of who is in their bracket, who exactly do they have to play?

They have a cakewalk to the sweet 16...by far the easiest road of any of the #1 seeds.

Then, they are likely to play the MSU/MD winner...Ok, that's a good team but that is the type of matchup you would expect in the sweet 16...A very solid team that can beat you.

Then, they are LIKELY to play OSU or GTown...Again, that is the level of competition you would expect to play to go into a final 4. Now, should they be playing the Nova/Baylor winner instead? yea, I would agree with that.

To me, the team that got the raw deal is Ohio St. This is a team that was the #1 or #2 #2 seed....So, they should be in the Cuse bracket, with WVU in the Duke bracket.

OSU has to go through either GT or OSU, 2 very solid teams with some really good players...Then, they likely have to go through GTown and then Kansas to get to the final 4..That is a tough road for a team that is supposedly one of the top 2 #2 seeds.

But overall, I think the hand wringing over Kansas(which i was doing) is wrong.

But overall, I think the hand wringing over Kansas(which i was doing) is wrong.

I think most of the "hand-wringing" just stems from people being shocked that Kansas is deemed the #1 overall, while it's painfully obvious Duke was given a cake walk bracket. People don't feel too sorry for Kansas, since almost everyone has them in the Final Four (at a minimum).

I think most of the "hand-wringing" just stems from people being shocked that Kansas is deemed the #1 overall, while it's painfully obvious Duke was given a cake walk bracket. People don't feel too sorry for Kansas, since almost everyone has them in the Final Four (at a minimum).

Duke's bracket isn't difficult but their are a lot of teams that pose potential matchup problems for Duke.

The tourney is all about matchups.

I would rather be playing OSU or KSU than Nova as the #2 seed...Both of those teams may be better than Nova but they may not represent the matchup problems Nova can to Duke.

I would much prefer NIU/UNLV as opposed to Louisville/Cal.

I get that people don't like Duke's bracket but you can make the argument that their bracket is tough for them because there are potential matchup problems for them throughout their bracket, even if the overall level of teams isn't as strong as the other regions.

Kansas bracket has three teams playing well enough to be legit Final Four teams..Ohio State and Georgetown are easily the best 2 and 3 seeds out there, and they're in the same bracket...Wow.

But Kansas only have to play 1 of them.

That's why i am saying OSU are the ones who got screwed...OSU has to play GTown and Kansas, in all likelihood, to get there.

I mean, think about it...WVU could have been the 2, OSU the 3, GTown the 6 and Duke the 7 seeds in that bracket and Kansas still only has to play one of those teams...It really doesn't matter all that much.

But Kansas only have to play 1 of them.

That's why i am saying OSU are the ones who got screwed...OSU has to play GTown and Kansas, in all likelihood, to get there.

I mean, think about it...WVU could have been the 2, OSU the 3, GTown the 6 and Duke the 7 seeds in that bracket and Kansas still only has to play one of those teams...It really doesn't matter all that much.

Agreed, I don't feel bad for Kansas, per se, but do for Georgetown and Ohio State. Kansas is the best team in the country, and have been most of the year, they'll be fine. I'm still taking Georgetown in the Final Four, but realize it's probably a longshot.

Ohio State is clearly the team that got screwed over the most by this bracket. They and Nova should have switched spots.

Of course this assumes that the committee, like us, feels Georgetown is better than Baylor. Before the Big East tournament nobody probably thought GTown was the clear cut best potential #3 seed -- they were scuffling.

Ohio State is clearly the team that got screwed over the most by this bracket. They and Nova should have switched spots.

Of course this assumes that the committee, like us, feels Georgetown is better than Baylor. Before the Big East tournament nobody probably thought GTown was the clear cut best potential #3 seed -- they were scuffling.

Until they figured out what was wrong with Freeman. They're back to where they were before he started having symptoms.

Archived