MacPhail: "We've taken a giant step backwards."

JTrea81

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I could tell Andy MacPhail one thing it'd be to stop giving El Trea quotables to continue his mantras.

Nothing he said was wrong. This season has been a failure so far. I mean we are 14 games under .500 and not even 30 stinking games in.

Guest rochester
I'm already extremely apathetic. I feel now like I normally feel in late august.

And it sucks.

+1

letterssssssss

Obviously we can't spend like the Twins either. That small market team is finding a way to drum up a $100 million payroll. They must have an enormous RSN to grab money from.

They win. When they were building up to winning they didn't sign any big free agents. Heck, pretty much the only big free agents they ever sign are their own.

Great another can't spend like Boston quote. Keep driving that misconception home O's FO.

Obviously we can't spend like the Twins either. That small market team is finding a way to drum up a $100 million payroll. They must have an enormous RSN to grab money from.

It just strikes me as odd that this logic has only happened over the last few years. What year did the Rev Share checks start getting handed out?

It's weird that Boston spent real money and became a good team...and are sustaining that without going bankrupt because their fans support their effort to put a good product on the field.

Whereas we keep not spending money...staying a bad team...and have no fans. Crazy how that works.

And the RAYS MODEL?

That means we have to suck like another 6 years. Because we can't really count the beginning of our descent since we drafted poorly. They drafted well almost every year. And that and a couple of trades is all they had.

The Nats are following that model closer. I mean they sucked the perfect 2 years to be the worst team draft-wise.

And when Carl Crawford and or Carlos Pena leave after this year are we to think that we'll see that with Wieters and Matusz too? I mean that's the Ray's model afterall. And as MacPhail said that's our only path to success.

Sure they extended Longoria but that was like 8 minutes into his pro career. We didn't do that with Wieters or Matusz.

But wait...we'll be different then i'm sure. We'll open up the vault to keep our own players then. But if we keep sucking I'm sure Boras will want to keep Wieters in Baltimore. That's good for endorsements.

Dude, we can't spend like Boston. The economy in this area is not there and if you think otherwise you are absolutely kidding yourself.

The Orioles year-in-year-out payroll should be something in the range of $90-$110 million.

Dude, we can't spend like Boston. The economy in this area is not there and if you think otherwise you are absolutely kidding yourself.

The Orioles year-in-year-out payroll should be something in the range of $90-$110 million.

Maybe not as much as Boston since they are a regional team, but if you put a winning team on the field, Camden Yards will fill up again and MASN will have it's highest ratings ever. Money will start to flow in.

Baltimore is a great sports town and all you have to do is look across the parking lot from Camden Yards.

This has the feeling of the "chicken and the egg" argument.

The economy in this area? We are the richest state in the United States: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-09-23/news/0909220047_1_median-household-maryland-richest-state

For reference Mass. is #5. So the economy isn't the problem. It's bad everywhere. But it's better in Maryland than everywhere else.

I would be just fine with a $110 million payroll.

Maybe not as much as Boston since they are a regional team, but if you put a winning team on the field, Camden Yards will fill up again and MASN will have it's highest ratings ever. Money will start to flow in.

Baltimore is a great sports town and all you have to do is look across the parking lot from Camden Yards.

This has the feeling of the "chicken and the egg" argument.

I really don't think it's a chicken and egg thing.

Using that point of view half of the analogy would be "when fans come back" the "team will spend that money"

That doesn't make any sense for the fans from a business standpoint. It's not quite the fair proposal.

You have to have a good product to generate fans. That costs money. And we don't spend money on the expensive parts. We hoist up overslot draft compensation as spending money when that's the cheapest way to build a team.

If fans want to put their money into what they know is an inferior product that's called being hustled.

There was nothing incendiary about what MacPhail says in this article.

We are not performing to expectations. I don't think any of us thought we'd be 4-16 right now, even without Roberts.

4-18

just saying :)

The longer this season goes on the more JTrea is starting to make sense.. WHY ORIOLES, WHY?!?!

MacPhail did a horrible job this offseason adding minimal talent to the roster. Miggi has been a decent bat but has been mediocre at third. Atkins has been an abject failure. Gonzalez has been a joke but he's been hurt.

Millwood was a solid acquisition but the offense has been so inept that it hasn't mattered.

The opening to this season has been both ugly and painful, but it's so far outside baseball norms that I wouldn't use it as a basis for anything. If the team is this bad at the halfway point you have a major problem. Right now you ave a fluke.

The economy in this area? We are the richest state in the United States: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-09-23/news/0909220047_1_median-household-maryland-richest-state

For reference Mass. is #5. So the economy isn't the problem. It's bad everywhere. But it's better in Maryland than everywhere else.

I would be just fine with a $110 million payroll.

Mass is one of about 6 states that the Red Sox profit from. I guess you could argue that the Orioles profit from DC and Virginia... but that pales in comparison.

Archived