Jay Gibbons on brink of MLB return

fansince1988

Honestly, I hope he returns and has a future in MLB. He could have retired and lived off his nice contract but instead went through the ranks of independent clubs and MiLB clubs and might make it back to show after all of his injuries and steroid troubles.

I think the guy just loves playing baseball and I hope he makes it.

I don't see where the writer gets the idea that Gibbons is on "the brink" of a major-league return. He says Gibbons is hitting well, but he doesn't say anything about whether the big-league team has room to call him up, or whether they're even interested in doing so. Heck, he doesn't even say which major-league team the Isotopes are affiliated with.

Whatever happens, I hope Gibbons has success. Always a nice guy.

I don't see where the writer gets the idea that Gibbons is on "the brink" of a major-league return. He says Gibbons is hitting well, but he doesn't say anything about whether the big-league team has room to call him up, or whether they're even interested in doing so.

Maybe he's basing it on the fact that Jay is hitting .400 and leading his AAA team in dingers and ribbies?

Heck, he doesn't even say which major-league team the Isotopes are affiliated with.

Um, the articles clearly says that his stint in winter ball impressed the Dodgers' AA manager, which is how he got his job with the AAA club. Now, I agree that it wasn't spelled out, but 2 + 2 often does equal 4.

Whatever happens, I hope Gibbons has success. Always a nice guy.

We agree about that...

Maybe he's basing it on the fact that Jay is hitting .400 and leading his AAA team in dingers and ribbies?

And? He wasn't called up when Manny Ramirez went on the DL. He wasn't called up when Rafael Furcal went on the DL just a day or two ago (obviously he's not a middle infielder, but still). Maybe the Dodgers just aren't that into him. They might see him as AAA filler for all we know.

Um, the articles clearly says that his stint in winter ball impressed the Dodgers' AA manager, which is how he got his job with the AAA club. Now, I agree that it wasn't spelled out, but 2 + 2 often does equal 4.

Look again. It says the AA team is an affiliate of the Dodgers, but never says anything about the AAA team. It doesn't say they're both part of the same organization.

The writer pretty much glossed over any discussion of the major-league team and how they might find room for Gibbons. That sort of indicates to me that he's not exactly in their plans. But we'll see.

Oh, I agree that it was the writer who concluded that he's on the brink, it's not that he was quoting somebody else. However, I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not like he used the "anonymous ML source" trick, he just said what he thought and presented it as such.

Not saying it was a great article, I just don't see anything terribly wrong with it, that's all. Yes, he could have spelled out whose farm team he's on, but I got it from the context. I also don't know why he's supposed to know any details about who might call him up when. Hitting .400 and leading the team in HR and RBI is nothing to sneeze it. I thought what the guy said was very plausible. Don't know what will happen, but it's plausible...

Oh, I agree that it was the writer who concluded that he's on the brink, it's not that he was quoting somebody else. However, I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not like he used the "anonymous ML source" trick, he just said what he thought and presented it as such.

Not saying it was a great article, I just don't see anything terribly wrong with it, that's all. Yes, he could have spelled out whose farm team he's on, but I got it from the context. I also don't know why he's supposed to know any details about who might call him up when. Hitting .400 and leading the team in HR and RBI is nothing to sneeze it. I thought what the guy said was very plausible. Don't know what will happen, but it's plausible...

It's worth mentioning that the headline is often written by a different person than the writer of the article, so this could just be a case of a misleading headline.

It's worth mentioning that the headline is often written by a different person than the writer of the article, so this could just be a case of a misleading headline.

Yeah, but the headline writer pulled the wording from the last sentence of the 4th paragraph...

Archived