Updated 2010 Draft News...

I wouldn't be upset with Machado. Disappointed that he's not Taillon maybe, but definitely not upset.

#3 Manny Machado

Shortstop, Brito HS (FL)

Born July 6, 1992> Draft Day Age=17.9

Ht/Wt... 6-2/185, Bats Right / Throws Right

Composite Preseason Review...

Manny Machado is a lean and athletic shortstop, hailing from Brito High School in Miami. Defensively Machado is somewhat like collegian Christian Colon, in that neither project to have great range as pro's... but both have very good instincts, are graceful in their footwork and mechanics, employ soft hands and good arms, and should be able to stick and be successful big league shortstops.

Offensively, Machado has no problem hitting a good fastball, and making strong consistent contact. He uses an open-stance and while he 'wraps' his bat, he has good bat speed and leverage, with some lift in his swing. Many scouts feel he'll have solid to above-average power, and coupled with outstanding defensive abilities at a prime position, Machado could vault into the Top 10 of the coming draft.

--Greg Pappas

UPDATE 6/2/10... All Machado has done this year is fulfill all expectations of him, by- well, everyone. At just three months older than Bryce Harper, the youngster has been compared -somewhat unfairly- to another former mega-prospect, and fellow South Florida prep star shortstop-- Alex Rodriguez. Machado has truly grown, both physically, defensively and at bat. He'll most likely be taken as high as pick two, and no later than pick four. Some scouts have concerns that Machado will outgrow short and slide to third, but may not have the prototypical power for the position. Regardless, he projects as a well-above-average hitter and he'll await the wise team that calls his name come draft day.

2010 Stats: 86 AB's, .639 AVG, 27 2B, 5 3B, 12 HR, 56 RBI, 17 SB

Does that curtail your advocation of him, or does it only make you want him more.;)

I'd have to say that tempers my enthusasim a bit, but it all depends on how much Colon and Machado are asking for. Machado is said to have the higher ceiling while Colon is a better defender. Cox is the best pure hitter.

I'd have to say that tempers my enthusasim a bit, but it all depends on how much Colon and Machado are asking for. Machado is said to have the higher ceiling while Colon is a better defender. Cox is the best pure hitter.

Can you really compare either to Machado? Cox and Colon are in college, and 3 years older. Either way give me Taillon first, but we'll have to just disagree about that.

Can you really compare either to Machado? Cox and Colon are in college, and 3 years older. Either way give me Taillon first, but we'll have to just disagree about that.

I'd say those are the top 3 position players in the draft after Harper. That's the comparison. Of the three Machado has the highest risk, but the biggest reward.

How does Machado compare to Tim Beckham?I hope that he's a much better player than Beckham, because Beckham does not seem to be doing very well in Tampa's minor league system. On top of that, he has slipped really far down Tampa's prospect list.

If Machado is not rated as high as Beckham, the Orioles really need to go towards Christian Colon.

Archived