Shadow Draft for BAL and Other Thoughts

As some may know, Jon and I run a Shadow Draft each year at the Depot. This is where we came down half-way through our picks (we do rounds 1 - 10):

1:3 - Karsten Whitson, RHP, Chipley HS (Fla.)

3:3 - Josh Rutledge, SS, Univ. of Alabama

4:3 - Garin Cecchini, SS/3B, Barbe HS (La.)

5:3 - Tyler Holt, OF, Florida St. Univ.

As far as the actual picks:

1. I like Connor Narron. Very tough sign from what I have heard, but BAL has poached from UNC before (LJ Hoes).

2. Klein and Mummey make me think that Machado has floated a very high number. I like both players/picks.

3. Have discussed Machado a lot already.

Think BAL is doing solid job so far, though. Also expect a couple more tough signs (fingers crossed for Wahl).

As some may know, Jon and I run a Shadow Draft each year at the Depot. This is where we came down half-way through our picks (we do rounds 1 - 10):

1. I like Connor Narron. Very tough sign from what I have heard, but BAL has poached from UNC before (LJ Hoes).

2. Klein and Mummey make me think that Machado has floated a very high number. I like both players/picks.

Think BAL is doing solid job so far, though. Also expect a couple more tough signs (fingers crossed for Wahl).

Thanks, Stotle. Good stuff. Glad to hear good things on Klein and Mummey as they clearly weren't the highest-profile guys on the board.

Thanks, Stotle. Good stuff. Glad to hear good things on Klein and Mummey as they clearly weren't the highest-profile guys on the board.

Yes, I think both picks are solid. Don't see tons of upside, but solid chance to be MLers. Mummey is a bit of a head-scratcher considering the OFers already in the system and the lack of INF, but "eh"...

Yes, I think both picks are solid. Don't see tons of upside, but solid chance to be MLers. Mummey is a bit of a head-scratcher considering the OFers already in the system and the lack of INF, but "eh"...

Sounds like Jordan "make-up" guy. I do like the fairly low-K numbers w/ pop in college. I doubt the HR power translates, but it looks like what pop is there wasn't produced at the expense of contact.*

*That's slap-dash analysis, admittedly.

Good stuff, Stotle. Post it in Greg's shadow draft thread!

We agreed on Whitson and I also nabbed Holt in round 5. It's looking like I might have made a mistake on Hahn as no one wants to touch him...I think I heard someone mention TJ surgery??

Sounds like Jordan "make-up" guy. I do like the fairly low-K numbers w/ pop in college. I doubt the HR power translates, but it looks like what pop is there wasn't produced at the expense of contact.*

*That's slap-dash analysis, admittedly.

Right. He squares and it goes with metal. Won't happen with wood. Good 4th OF that might be a CF if the bat plays-up. Solid pick, but lacks upside.

Good stuff, Stotle. Post it in Greg's shadow draft thread!

We agreed on Whitson and I also nabbed Holt in round 5. It's looking like I might have made a mistake on Hahn as no one wants to touch him...I think I heard someone mention TJ surgery??

Gotta head back to my site -- feel free to cut and paste.

Right. He squares and it goes with metal. Won't happen with wood. Good 4th OF that might be a CF if the bat plays-up. Solid pick, but lacks upside.

I'm no expert but drafting a guy who profiles as a 4th outfielder in the 4th round is disappointing. It's one thing if you have higher hopes and that's what he turns out to be but I see it as different if that's the "upside."

We have a bad team, fewer picks and no one wants to come here as a free agent. It's hard to think using a pick this way makes a lot of sense.

I'm no expert but drafting a guy who profiles as a 4th outfielder in the 4th round is disappointing. It's one thing if you have higher hopes and that's what he turns out to be but I see it as different if that's the "upside."

We have a bad team, fewer picks and no one wants to come here as a free agent. It's hard to think using a pick this way makes a lot of sense.

I am pretty happy if a 4th round pick makes it to the big leagues as a fourth outfielder for say a 3-5 year career. I think your expectations might be a bit high.

I'm pretty sure that's what he said: he profiles as a 4th OF now, but his upside is higher if his bat plays up.

I am pretty happy if a 4th round pick makes it to the big leagues as a fourth outfielder for say a 3-5 year career. I think your expectations might be a bit high.

I don't think you quite understood me. I understand that a 4th round pick becoming a 4th outfielder is ok. If that's what he becomes, so be it but I don't want to hear that as his likely outcome before he suits up. I want to hear potential regular or better. Maybe this is unrealistic in the 4th round. Players with more potential as of draft day are already gone.

I don't think you quite understood me. I understand that a 4th round pick becoming a 4th outfielder is ok. If that's what he becomes, so be it but I don't want to hear that as his likely outcome before he suits up. I want to hear potential regular or better. Maybe this is unrealistic in the 4th round. Players with more potential as of draft day are already gone.

I have no problem with a lower ceiling guy that is likely to reach his ceiling over a higher ceiling guy that could very well flop.

Archived