Tillman should have never been brought up

JTrea81

He wasn't ready.

He abandoned what he was supposed to work on in AAA - fastball command down in the zone, because he wasn't getting results and went back to the way he was pitching - up in the zone - so that he could get AAA hitters out again and get back to the majors quicker because his stat line would look better.

The trouble is, that ML hitters won't be fooled and will feast on the fastballs up in the zone.

The Orioles should have realized this and forced him to continue to work on fastball command in spite of his stat line because it would have made him a better pitcher.

I just hope Tillman's trade value doesn't take a major hit now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, he has never posted a 1.85 in AAA and was actually worse his last stint there. His fastball command is pathetic and there is nothing close to a major league changeup available. He has not made it out of the 2nd inning more than once and is absurdly young. His confidence is diminishing by the day and his service time going the opposite direction that is desired. When will this franchise stop these horrid head scratching decisions?

I know I've had my irrational moments on here, and this will probably come across as one of them...

...but I don't see it with Chris Tillman. I know, I know, I know...he's young, he's had 17 or 18 big league starts, he projects very well, whatever. I know, I've heard it.

But jeez, he can barely get his fastball above 90 mph and his stuff always seems up in the zone. His breaking stuff looks pretty good but if he can't command the fastball what good is it? It seems like he's always getting hit hard.

I'm not saying send him down, I'm not saying trade him, I'm not saying any of those things, so please don't get it twisted.

I'm just saying, I don't see it with him.

Just come out and say it, Trea. MacPhail boofed the pooch again here. We all know it's coming, just let it fly on the first post.

Should he have traded him?

You bet he should have. But he didn't so we need to make sure he's going to succeed now.

And letting him pitch how he wants to pitch for results at AAA that won't translate, is not helping him in the long run.

Honestly, he has never posted a 1.85 in AAA and was actually worse his last stint there. His fastball command is pathetic and there is nothing close to a major league changeup available. He has not made it out of the 2nd inning more than once and is absurdly young. His confidence is diminishing by the day and his service time going the opposite direction that is desired. When will this franchise stop these horrid head scratching decisions?

Um...ok...

He wasn't ready.

He abandoned what he was supposed to work on in AAA - fastball command because he wasn't getting results and went back to the way he was pitching - up in the zone - so that he could get AAA hitters out again and get back to the majors quicker because his stat line would look better.

The trouble is, that ML hitters won't be fooled and will feast on the fastballs up in the zone.

The Orioles should have realized this and forced him to continue to work on fastball command in spite of his stat line because it would have made him a better pitcher.

I just hope Tillman's trade value doesn't take a major hit now.

Your continued posts continue to wreck the franchise....it's all your fault! ;) Unless of course we fire everyone in the organization and hire......you.

In fairness to Chris, I live in Norfolk and saw him a few times this year, he dominated. He did it with all of his pitches, not junk. I'm not saying he's going to be a #1, but he's not a AAA pitcher. Dare I use the word nobody wants to hear.....patience

Should he have traded him?

You bet he should have. But he didn't so we need to make sure he's going to succeed now.

And letting him pitch how he wants to pitch for results at AAA that won't translate, is not helping him in the long run.

I'm not sure what to say to this, so I'll post the following emoticons to represent the range of emotions I felt while reading your finely crated post, Trea:

:eek::confused: :eektf: :rolleyestf: :ohlord::no:

Cause he knows there's nobody down there to replace him.:scratchchinhmm:

Pretty much. And for him, it's sink or swim...he doesn't really need anymore time at AAA, he's shown he's done all he needs down there. Whatever he needs to iron out, he needs to iron out at the big league level, if he can.

I can't bring myself to actually watch the games the last couple weeks because I tell myself I have better things to do, and I tell myself not to check the score. But then I check the score, and it seems we're always down an insurmountable amount by the 1st or 2nd inning. Like, not down one or two, but down five runs or so. And I have no confidence in our offense to score more than three runs in any given game.

Archived