New Article: "Matt Hobgood: Mid-Term Report" by Doc Shorebird

ScottieBaseball

Matt's velocity - Matt may have touched 98 somewhere along the line when he was in high school but most of the time when I was watching him he was around 91-94 on his fastball.

Thanks for sharing your information.

I think the concern for most of us is that Matt himself said "Up until my arm tiredness' date=' I was consistently hitting 87 – 90". That's [i']before[/i] his arm got tired. The difference between 87-90 and 91-94 is quite dramatic. You need pinpoint control to pitch 87-90, and at that very few RH pitchers can pull that off. It's no surprise he's having trouble striking people out.

Again, all we can do is wait and see. I'm not down on him, but it's very disappointing when you read about what people like Matzek are doing. And he's going to be compared to Matzek, Turner, Miller, Wheeler and even guys like Grant Green for a long, long time.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JackO, since you love the media side of things, allow me to introduce myself. I was once far more heavily involved here as an editor and writer. Now I write opinionated articles mostly for fun. For my day job though I'm a legitimate journalist. I'm heard reporting and anchoring news in DC, and am regularly interviewing police, professors, and lawmakers at the state and federal level. I previously worked for a major broadcast network, and to keep my sports bonafides in order, I work for a sports station in DC on the side and for fun. Past and current contributors to the site have been other sports writers, as well as those from the copy desk.

The journalism that goes on here isn't "pro-am" or any such BS word you want to use. It's as legitimate, if not more so, than the kind you supposedly perform. It's as real, and progressive, as you'll find. If anything, it's the future of news, in a lot of ways. Look at sites like the Washington Post, which has a mix of news stories, features, blog items, and even video. It's why the National Press Club (of which I'm a member) has workshops that touch on all these things that guys like Mike Miller, Adam Vencill, and Scott Hoffman do regularly here. People are paying big bucks to learn about the things these guys are doing here.

There are some papers around the country (typically smaller ones, but done by major ones as well) that have a mix of free and paid content. Baseball Prospectus does a similar thing.

The lack of a journalism or comm degree for some of the people here is absolutely meaningless. While I have my j-school degree from one of the top schools nationally, some of the best people I've worked with and for have no degree at all.

It's past time you get over yourself, and your supposed credentials and bonafides, and let go of any ax you still have with the place. Your perception of it is so absurdly off base that it makes you look like a total jackass. While it annoys those who perform real journalism here every day that you're so hellbent on downplaying the work they do, I find it infuriating and stupid, since I know the work and effort that goes into it, and I know how legitimate things here are. Not only do you not have a clue, you defiantly make it clear you don't know nearly as much as you think.

That kind of reminded me of the 'shine box' scene in "Goodfellas".

Thanks for sharing your information.

I think the concern for most of us is that Matt himself said "Up until my arm tiredness, I was consistently hitting 87 – 90". That's before his arm got tired. The difference between 87-90 and 91-94 is quite dramatic. You need pinpoint control to pitch 87-90, and at that very few RH pitchers can pull that off. It's no surprise he's having trouble striking people out.

Again, all we can do is wait and see. I'm not down on him, but it's very disappointing when you read about what people like Matzek are doing. And he's going to be compared to Matzek, Turner, Miller, Wheeler and even guys like Grant Green for a long, long time.

I saw Matzek first hand and was not impressed. If we would have given that kid the money he wanted we would be pissed. He is going to take a long time to develop and he is going to need to make some changes to advance at the rate he was paid.

I saw Matzek first hand and was not impressed. If we would have given that kid the money he wanted we would be pissed. He is going to take a long time to develop and he is going to need to make some changes to advance at the rate he was paid.

And you bring up a good point about 'seeing' - I haven't seen much in the way of first hand accounts on Hobgood's pitching. That might add some clarity too. All I've got to go on are numbers.

Don't worry too much about that, he too is working on some things right now, so he's not using his entire arsenal. He's MUCH better than you think he is, I promise.

On the Hobby subject, I know he's working on some pitches and adjusting to the pros so I completely understand some of the numbers right now, but I wonder how he's adjusting to not playing in the field as well. I know he was Gatorade player of the year for doing great things with the bat as well, for a guy that's out there playing everyday he's not pitching in the field and doing that well to pitching once every 5th or 6th day for a couple innings could be affecting things a bit. Same point I was making with the adjusting to the pros comment, but I've noticed that some HS kids that are better 2-way players take a little more adjustment to guys that say were great pitchers, but didn't play well in the field.

Don't worry too much about that, he too is working on some things right now, so he's not using his entire arsenal. He's MUCH better than you think he is, I promise.

On the Hobby subject, I know he's working on some pitches and adjusting to the pros so I completely understand some of the numbers right now, but I wonder how he's adjusting to not playing in the field as well. I know he was Gatorade player of the year for doing great things with the bat as well, for a guy that's out there playing everyday he's not pitching in the field and doing that well to pitching once every 5th or 6th day for a couple innings could be affecting things a bit. Same point I was making with the adjusting to the pros comment, but I've noticed that some HS kids that are better 2-way players take a little more adjustment to guys that say were great pitchers, but didn't play well in the field.

He has quite a bit to work on for the price that was paid out, that is all I am saying. He is far from a sure thing.

On the Hobby subject,.... I wonder how he's adjusting to not playing in the field as well. I know he was Gatorade player of the year for doing great things with the bat as well, for a guy that's out there playing everyday he's not pitching in the field and doing that well to pitching once every 5th or 6th day for a couple innings could be affecting things a bit. ....

Not that it explains away everything, but I've had this same thought.

If you're a 2-way player and a top hitter who's playing all seven innings of every game, it's gotta be an adjustment to go to "watching" five out of every six games, instead of playing in them.

He has quite a bit to work on for the price that was paid out, that is all I am saying. He is far from a sure thing.

You'd be surprised. He's a LOT closer to a sure thing than you think, and I'd be willing to bet he's a top 10 prospect after the season. I know they have him working on using and locating his FB and working on a 4th pitch, but kind of like the Matusz treatment, he was supposed to stay away from his curve and change which he could just destroy the Sallie league with. My guess says the game you saw he was probably throwing something like 70% FB which is NOT his best pitch. I mean with any SAL league guy, we both have to wait and see, but from what I've seen and heard, he's legit.

Not that it explains away everything, but I've had this same thought.

If you're a 2-way player and a top hitter who's playing all seven innings of every game, it's gotta be an adjustment to go to "watching" five out of every six games, instead of playing in them.

Yeah it's kinda like the same principal of why some guys can't just be moved to DH and put up the stats they would as an OF or INF, sometimes that down time in between innings is a lot to adjust to.

You'd be surprised. He's a LOT closer to a sure thing than you think, and I'd be willing to bet he's a top 10 prospect after the season. I know they have him working on using and locating his FB and working on a 4th pitch, but kind of like the Matusz treatment, he was supposed to stay away from his curve and change which he could just destroy the Sallie league with. My guess says the game you saw he was probably throwing something like 70% FB which is NOT his best pitch. I mean with any SAL league guy, we both have to wait and see, but from what I've seen and heard, he's legit.

I will defer to you on this topic since you are the expert here.

I will say this. On Half Price Beer night in Savannah, I wasn't impressed!! :laughlol:

Haha, true, but Jimbo was there too. I will wait until he gets back from his other vacation to comment as well.

He will say the same thing!!! But he was drunk too so...

They don't have upper decks in minor league parks do they? That's probably the safer way to go for him when he's drinking.

I'll stop derailing now. I was enjoying the Hobgood discussion.

I will defer to you on this topic since you are the expert here.

I will say this. On Half Price Beer night in Savanah, I wasn't impressed!! :laughlol:

Haha, I wouldn't call me an expert, but I know I've liked Matzek more than a HS prospect in a while, and I would have put him neck and neck with Taillon.

Savannah is great though, 1/2 price beers or not. Always a great time in that place.

Archived