New Article: "Matt Hobgood: Mid-Term Report" by Doc Shorebird

ScottieBaseball

Yeah, well Doc said he was hitting 91-93. He didn't say he was sitting 91-93. There's a difference. Almost every eyewitness report we've ever gotten on Hobgood as a pro has had him sitting 87-89, and touching 91. Earlier in the year his uncle reported a couple of pitches hitting 93-94. If he was actually sitting at 91-93 today then that's another story, and a good one.

This is a valid point. The fact that he was sitting 90-91 last night and hitting 93 at least a few times is a sign of progress. I believe that is shows Hobgood is improving and has a take avstep towards reagaining his fb velocity. The other encouraging note is he got 3 of 4 strikeouts on his power cb. The velocity on his cb was 77-81 mph. Young Pitchers who throw true cb's that hard usually end up with fb's in the 92-94 range. Last night showed a lot of positive signs for Mr Hobgood.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An "interesting" (perhaps) side note of yesterday's game, is that Bret Lasky, voice of the Shorebirds, remarked at least twice, that there was an unusual number of SCOUTS with radar guns turned on to Hobgood while he was pitching. Interesting why were so many scouts needed at a Sunday evening game? This is a nice day to spend with the family - not to run over and scout Hobgood, unless there was a very improtant reason to do so.

Now, this is not to be confused with Bret's remarks that there were also a lot of photographers there in both camera wells. More than he's ever seen before. Bret later found out that the photographers were due to a Nikon sports photography class being conducted during the game. However, I am not aware of a need for a radar gun operators class for grown men who look like professional scouts.

Oh well, just a curiosity ;)

So what are you implying, Doc?

Could be a coincidence or just a good day for scouts to take in the Jersey Shore and write it off as a travel expense ... or it could be more than a coincidence. Or maybe several others in our minors are being scouted as AM is tryiong to make a big deal and other teams are checking out who to ask for in return because we don't have much to offer in the bigs. Dunno. (Timing is everything).

Addendum: I am thinking that if AM is trying to make a trade, that other teams will be asking their scouts to check out what we have in our system and report back. Then other GMs will put together a wish list if they have interst in making a trade. We should see increased activity by scouts from now until July 25 or so, if this is so. I will check out the scouts who show up at Perdue stadium during the next homestand. If there are only a few and then a al ot show up for Hobgood, that would be interesting. Of course, they would also be looking at all of our high rankers up and down the system

So what are you implying, Doc? Is Hobgood on the trading block? I thought a prospect could not be traded until a full season after he was drafted.

Full calendar year from being signed, rather than drafted. Can be PTBNL six months after signing but can't be "named" until the one-year elapses.

I don't know if Matt will be a good pro or not (I'll leave that to the more experienced talent evaluators here on the OH), but I've read that Matt has been changing his pitching mechanics at Delmarva. Could this contribute to lower velocity? I believe that I also read that he working is on a new pitch?

Again, I don't know if he is a legit talent or a but yet, but I think the middle of next season will be a better barometer to Hobgood's chances at being a MLer.

Could be a coincidence or just a good day for scouts to take in the Jersey Shore and write it off as a travel expense ... or it could be more than a coincidence. Or maybe several others in our minors are being scouted as AM is tryiong to make a big deal and other teams are checking out who to ask for in return because we don't have much to offer in the bigs. Dunno. (Timing is everything).

Addendum: I am thinking that if AM is trying to make a trade, that other teams will be asking their scouts to check out what we have in our system and report back. Then other GMs will put together a wish list if they have interst in making a trade. We should see increased activity by scouts from now until July 25 or so, if this is so. I will check out the scouts who show up at Perdue stadium during the next homestand. If there are only a few and then a al ot show up for Hobgood, that would be interesting. Of course, they would also be looking at all of our high rankers up and down the system

Before we speculate too much, remember that a) if we are trading we are going to be selling, not buying, so they won't have many scouts scoping out our farm teams, maybe a few here and there, but not focusing on last years #1 pick.

Also, remember that they were playing Lakewood, PHI's A-ball team, the same PHI team who is known to be shopping around to acquire some INF and SP help. MUCH more likely that the scouts were there to scout PHI's team, and since their SP wasn't a real prospect and Hobgood was going for us they got a report on him. That's how minor league scouts work, they will go to a game to see a team, and take notes on everyone of note for both teams, saves a trip later if you've already seen a guy someone might decide they have interest in.

Archived