Loux to become a FA

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2010/2610539.html

Read the Bud Selig comment.

Should the Orioles be interested?

With that amount of damage, I don't think so. Talented, but you gotta sink $1.5m or so into the kid and hope he comes back from labrum surgery? Nah, I'd rather allocate that $1.5 either into Int'l or to narrow the gap between us and the Sox.

I know we both really encourage the O's to outspend everyone in the Rule 4 to fix the talent gap, but the Red Sox are killing us year in and out, and even the Indians and Nats both went big this year.

We could have had Workman for < $1m and had Cole for about $2m and still have money to spare if we hadn't signed Gonzalez.

With that amount of damage, I don't think so. Talented, but you gotta sink $1.5m or so into the kid and hope he comes back from labrum surgery? Nah, I'd rather allocate that $1.5 either into Int'l or to narrow the gap between us and the Sox.

I know we both really encourage the O's to outspend everyone in the Rule 4 to fix the talent gap, but the Red Sox are killing us year in and out, and even the Indians and Nats both went big this year.

We could have had Workman for < $1m and had Cole for about $2m and still have money to spare if we hadn't signed Gonzalez.

Is it definitely labrum surgery that is needed? All I saw was that it said there was fraying but didn't say the labrum(the article I saw).

If he needs labrum surgery, I'd stay away.

If its just rehab and slight fraying, then I'd consider it. All depends on how severe the injury is. It'd be a great way to add a big arm to the stable if we can sign him and he can come back, but shoulder injuries are really tough.

This whole Loux thing is a fiasco. There's a reason why prospects that are injury concerns fall. Selig just rewarded the Diamondbacks with the #7 pick (which will likely be their second of the draft) because of their stupidity.

That said, I'm in agreement with others. No need to mess with labrum surgery.

This whole Loux thing is a fiasco. There's a reason why prospects that are injury concerns fall. Selig just rewarded the Diamondbacks with the #7 pick (which will likely be their second of the draft) because of their stupidity.

That said, I'm in agreement with others. No need to mess with labrum surgery.

I'm not sure what you mean. AZ would have gotten the pick as long as they didn't sign Loux. That's the basic rule. Making Loux a FA was the executive decision that was new.

Why should the O's settle for closing the amateur spending gap with Boston? Are the Pirates too far ahead of the O's in spending to catch them? They just paid over two million dollars to get the Mexican 16 year old pitcher, and threw another $200,000 to get a shortstop from the Dominican Republic. That's in addition to the money spent to sign their draft picks.

The Pirates have now spent over $32 million over the last three years to sign amateurs. That's more than any other team and the bucs just set a record for consecutive years of losing.

• 2 months later...

Archived