Most Valuable "LONG TERM" Commodities

Migrant Redbird

From Baseball Prospectus: The 50 Most Valuable: Year in Review

Biggest risers:

CF Justin Upton (was Honorable Mention). I don’t care that he wasn’t especially impressive in the major leagues. Age is everything, and for a 19-year-old to come this far this fast is very special.

LHP Erik Bedard (not ranked). Led baseball in strikeouts per nine innings–he now has to be considered in that 1A tier of pitchers along with guys like Jake Peavy and C.C. Sabathia.....

The Top 20, with last year's rankings in parentheses.

1. Albert Pujols (1)

2. David Wright (8)

3. Hanley Ramirez (6)

4. Miguel Cabrera (4)

5. Joe Mauer (2)

6. Johan Santana (3)

7. Grady Sizemore (5)

8. Alex Rodriguez (10)

9. Justin Upton (HM)

10. Jose Reyes (7)

11. Jake Peavy (13)

12. C.C. Sabathia (17)

13. Curtis Granderson (HM)

14. Erik Bedard (–)

15. Chase Utley (22)

16. Brian McCann (9)

17. Ryan Zimmerman (11)

18. Evan Longoria (HM)

19. Joba Chamberlain (–)

20. Jay Bruce (–)

You can see Silver's top ten list from last May here, but I'm guessing that you need to be an SI subscriber to see all 50 names on the list.

I couldn't help but enjoy Silver's gushing over the defensive abilities of Pujols.

Sports Illustrated was gracious enough to have me cover the World Series for them last year. The one thing I remember from that experience, except how cold it can be in Detroit in October, is just how good Pujols' defense was around the bag. Pujols could play Chris Duncan defense and he'd still probably be the best player in the game. Instead his glove is on a par with Scott Rolen's, which means he has found yet another way to contribute value to the Cardinals. There's no real argument right now about who deserves the top spot on this list.

Archived