So it's the 4th pick in the 2011 draft...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who will still be on the board? What impact will Buck have on the selection?

Well, if money wasn't an issue and every scouting department went with BPA, IMO if the draft were held today, Rendon, Cole, then Purke would be taken in the first 3 picks. No, Buck will have no impact on who we pick or why we pick them.

Jungmann, Gray, Barnes, Norris, Springer are all players who will be left on the board. RIGHT NOW, it is just too tough to tell though who will be BPA at that time. Any one of the above mentioned players can be BPA at 1:4. I could honestly see a guy like Barnes being BPA by next year's draft, but it'll depend on how well his secondaries develop between now and then. I could also imagine Norris jumping up to BPA at 1:4, especially if he adds any more velocity like Taillon did unexpectedly in 2010. Springer could be BPA if he can cut back on the K's and shows he has made strides in pitch recognition. Gray would be BPA here IMO if no one makes more than expected progress. Jungmann also could be considered BPA right now, and a lot depends on his consistency with command......

RHP Jungmann from Texas. Very good talent. I would have preferred Rendon, Cole, or Purke. Oh well.

Agreed with this. I see them going 1-2-3 in that order next year in the draft, barring a sudden surge by a dark horse candidate or injury of course.

No matter though, it's an exceptionally deep draft. We won't get a solid TOR starter the likes of Purke or Cole, but we should be able to draft a solid mid-rotation starter.

Just for fun go back to the threads from last October when the speculation started on the top 3-5 picks for 2010 and see how much is changed between then and June.

Last year was really a free for all from the beginning. AJ Cole was one mentioned being a possible top 5 pick who fell. Machado was not projected as a top 5 pick, let alone top 3. The 09 draft was more interesting to me in this regard because it had both Green and White who were supposedly "elite" college guys(for that particular draft season) that really fell off the map quickly.

I wonder how the top HS arm from the 10 draft would compare to the top HS arm of this draft at the same point in their development. In other words, Taillon in October of 09 compared to Norris of 10.

While I agree that there could be other players who move past the current top three, how would you feel if Cole, Purke and Rendon keep the top spots? Would it have been worth it for the O's to win some meaningless games at the end of the year?

This could be just like the year the O's beat the Yankees at the end of the year and fell behind the Rangers in the draft order.

Stuff changes a year from now. Last year around this time Anthony Ranaudo was looked at as a possible #1 pick and he fell far. I agree I had my heart set on Rendon being our future 3rd baseman but i still think we can get a great prospect at #4. Brian Matusz was drafted at #4 and he looked fantastic the final 2 months. I think we just take the best prospect at that spot regardless of positon.

Are pitching shows alot of promise. I really like the core of our rotation of Matusz, Bergensen, Guthrie and Tilman. I think Millwood did a good job this year better then his record shows but i think we go in a different direction next year in that spot. I really like Koji Uehara as our closer. I think he did a great job but he only signed a 2 year deal so i dunno if he will be brought back. They might want to try Mik Gonzalez there again but i rather have Uehara there. I mean we led both leagues in blown saves with 27. Not alot of FA's i really think we need to take a run at. Plus i rather keep our 2nd round pick then sign another Mike Gonzalez.

Agreed with this. I see them going 1-2-3 in that order next year in the draft, barring a sudden surge by a dark horse candidate or injury of course.

No matter though, it's an exceptionally deep draft. We won't get a solid TOR starter the likes of Purke or Cole, but we should be able to draft a solid mid-rotation starter.

I think people are selling Jungmann short. A lot can change in a year, but in the article below Callis said Jungmann could be a number one pick in other drafts (as could Purke and Cole).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/larrystone/2012495475_stone01.html

Archived