Zrebiec: At impasse with LaRoche; turning attention to Lee

section36

If 3/21 isn't good enough for LaRoche, he can go to hell. It's obvious he doesn't want to play in Baltimore.

Hmm... guess his friendship with Reynolds doesn't mean much. ;):P

As I said in another thread, I really don't think it has anything to do with "where" he wants to play but "how much" he wants to play for. His agent was trying to maximize the contract. Now he may have overplayed his hand - again. That's what is so amazing. He walked away from money last year and got burned and now he's doing it again.

LaRoche may be too stupid to play for me. Something things seem pretty simple to me. Don't take a picture of yourself doing something illegal and then put it on Youtube would be one. Don't walk away from $21 million dollars would be another.

In the end, it won't surprise me if AM has played this just right.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If 3/21 isn't good enough for LaRoche, he can go to hell. It's obvious he doesn't want to play in Baltimore.

Hmm... guess his friendship with Reynolds doesn't mean much. ;):P

Or... The thought of playing under the watch of John Russell again brings back horrible memories of Pirates fans booing him.

Either way, this is great news to me assuming we can land Lee. Big assumption. :laughlol:

As I said in another thread, I really don't think it has anything to do with "where" he wants to play but "how much" he wants to play for. His agent was trying to maximize the contract. Now he may have overplayed his hand - again. That's what is so amazing. He walked away from money last year and got burned and now he's doing it again.

LaRoche may be too stupid to play for me. Something things seem pretty simple to me. Don't take a picture of yourself doing something illegal and then put it on Youtube would be one. Don't walk away from $21 million dollars would be another.

In the end, it won't surprise me if AM has played this just right.

Guys, nothing has came out of MacPhail's mouth that they offered 3/21 either. It's all media reported, through sources that they are not allowed to reveal of course. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3 year deal has even been offered. It will be one of those amazing events we hear about later, that reveals the Orioles offered 2/12 or something ridiculous like all of the other offers he's made. Ever heard of Dunn ?

I would hate it, but if he'd be gone in a year regardless...AND I could fairly take it as a signal that the O's would pursue someone much better next winter...then yes.

I'm thinking that we will need to overpay for his services. I originally stated that I'd give him a 2/24 deal. If he's just looking for 1 season, I'd certainly have no problems with a 1/12 deal.

Heck...I'd even offer a 12 million dollar mutual option.

Yep, and definitely before I'd give LaRoche 3/21.

You guys have alot of wisdom (and I'm not being sarcastic), so do you think it's possible, or even good sense in good faith with their client, to be in contact with each other? Was just wondering if this type of thing might go on, or could benefit both Lee or Laroche by doing this? . I was wondering because someone just made a comment that MacPhail might being calling Laroche's bluff. That would be kinda hard to do if both agents were aware of what was going on through boths ends? Any thoughts?

Question:

Would you give Lee a 1/12 deal?

Money coming off in millions:

Tejada: 6.5

Wigginton: 3

Izzy: 2.5

Millwood: 9

Lugo: 1

Ohman: 1.5

Koji: 5

Atkins: 4.5

total: about 33 million

Money coming on:

Reynolds: 3.5

Koji: 3

Hardy: 6.5ish

Izzy: 1.5

Harris: 1.75

Accardo: 1

Total: about 17.5 mill

Markakis, Scott and Guthrie all received significant raises.... If we're holding the payroll about where was last year, we could afford to overpay for Lee, especially if it's for 1 year.

Archived