Our top 10 prospects right now?

sportsfan8703

I'm not ready to rank Sedlock above another sandwich pick guy (Mountcastle) who has already been a success in his first year of professional ball. I'm also going to leave Harvey off of my lists until he starts pitching again and proves his health for more than a couple weeks. He's just too far away and hasn't been healthy in a long time.

1. Sisco

2. Mancini

3. Mountcastle

4. Sedlock

5. Peralta

6. Reyes (Upside is still there, will only be 20 when he repeats Frederick next season)

7. Jhon Peluffo (27 to 4 K/BB ratio over 23 innings against age appropriate competition has my attention)

8. Keegan Akin (upside lefty/early results are pretty good)

9. Garrett Cleavinger (back end of the bullpen lefty - like to see what he can do at Bowie)

10. Austin Hays (Why not? Third round pick and has shown five plus tools in limited action)

I have some unknown quantities ranked pretty high admittedly. It's really a crap shoot after the first five or six. I considered ranking guys like Brian Gonzalez or Cristian Alvarado towards the end of my list, but everything I've read is that they are finesse guys with back of the rotation upside. Grimes is 24 and wasn't missing many bats in Frederick. Chris Lee seemed to have the same problem. Tanner Scott is walking a batter an inning. Jonah Heim looks like a backup catcher to me unless his bat really develops (.222 .286 .323 in three professional seasons). I considered all those guys, but ultimately went with guys who appear to have more upside even if they are unproven right now.

1. Chance Sisco

2. Hunter Harvey

3. Trey Mancini

4. Ofelky Peralta

5. Jonah Heim

6. Chris Lee

7. Ryan Mountcastle

8. Jomar Reyes

9. Cedric Mullens/DJ Stewart

10. Garrett Cleavinger/Ryan Meisenger

I wanted to put Peluffo in there - just didn't know where. And I'll wait to see on Sedlock. Btw, yes I cheated at 9 and 10. :)

I don't really understand the fascination with Heim. He hasn't really hit at any level. I guess he still has age on his side, but I don't think a top ten ranking is deserved purely on his glove. A guy like Adrian Marin (purely a defensive SS) wouldn't even sniff a top 20 ranking, so I'm not sure why it would be much different with Heim. Granted, his K to walk ratio has been pretty good so maybe some of you are expecting the offense to pick up, but he's been the same .600 OPS bat for three years now. I would rank him around 15 due to what I think is a backup catcher upside.

1. Chance Sisco

2. Hunter Harvey

3. Trey Mancini

4. Ofelky Peralta

5. Jonah Heim

6. Chris Lee

7. Ryan Mountcastle

8. Jomar Reyes

9. Cedric Mullens/DJ Stewart

10. Garrett Cleavinger/Ryan Meisenger

I wanted to put Peluffo in there - just didn't know where. And I'll wait to see on Sedlock. Btw, yes I cheated at 9 and 10. :)

I guess Harvey comes off that list for the next 18 months.

Why so low on Sedlock?

I don't know if it's so much that I'm low on Sedlock as it is that I'm high on Mountcastle/Reyes/Scott/Peralta. But to answer your question, I'm not completely sure he has any secondaries that can get outs at the big-league level, and his fastball probably doesn't play out of the pen as well as Scott's and Peralta's. I'm also of the opinion that an impact reliever contributes more to winning games than a middling starter. But I do like Sedlock and the more I think about it, the more I'm second-guessing myself for having him at 8. I wouldn't object to him as high as 5.

Some other guys I feel like commenting on:

- At the end of last season, I noted that Heim's defense made him a candidate to fly up my list if he could show an ability to consistently make solid contact. He's made some strides, and his power numbers look good, but I'm still going to need to see more than a .231 average for him to crack my top ten.

- Chris Lee's strikeout numbers are just dire. Even Tyler Wilson was striking out 7 or 8 guys per nine innings in the minors. I'm not sure what's going on with Lee (he hasn't pitched since May), but like Sedlock, I'm concerned he doesn't have a major-league quality out pitch.

- Cedric Mullins is younger than I thought. I was about to get on Ruzious for listing a 24-year-old in Delmarva in his top ten, but somehow he's 21 all year. I still wouldn't have him in my top ten, but the power numbers make him more intriguing than I'd pegged him as.

- Jomar Reyes still has all the tools he had last year, and he's still 19 and in Frederick. I'm not anointing him the savior of the franchise, but it's still way too early for me to be worried about him based on his performance.

- I'm not a huge Keegan Akin booster yet -- I watched him pitch on TV for Western Michigan a couple times and I was not blown away. I'm very open to him changing my mind, though.

- Really want to see Matthias Dietz get on the mound so I can look at some film of him. Hard for me to evaluate someone I haven't seen at all, but all the words that have been written about him make me think he could jump into my top ten very quickly.

It looks like there is a nice little group of talent in the lower minors. It seems like almost everyone of note in the minors is in the same window of when they might contribute at the major league window except for maybe Mancini and Sisco.

This large group who are like 3 to 6 years away will be helpful when Manny, Schoop, Gausman get expensive.

How would our system rate if only on prospects in this time frame (or only lower minors) and not more advanced prospects. I'm assuming it wouldn't be great, but probably more middle of the road due to depth.

I'm not ready to rank Sedlock above another sandwich pick guy (Mountcastle) who has already been a success in his first year of professional ball. I'm also going to leave Harvey off of my lists until he starts pitching again and proves his health for more than a couple weeks. He's just too far away and hasn't been healthy in a long time.

1. Sisco

2. Mancini

3. Mountcastle

4. Sedlock

5. Peralta

6. Reyes (Upside is still there, will only be 20 when he repeats Frederick next season)

7. Jhon Peluffo (27 to 4 K/BB ratio over 23 innings against age appropriate competition has my attention)

8. Keegan Akin (upside lefty/early results are pretty good)

9. Garrett Cleavinger (back end of the bullpen lefty - like to see what he can do at Bowie)

10. Austin Hays (Why not? Third round pick and has shown five plus tools in limited action)

I have some unknown quantities ranked pretty high admittedly. It's really a crap shoot after the first five or six. I considered ranking guys like Brian Gonzalez or Cristian Alvarado towards the end of my list, but everything I've read is that they are finesse guys with back of the rotation upside. Grimes is 24 and wasn't missing many bats in Frederick. Chris Lee seemed to have the same problem. Tanner Scott is walking a batter an inning. Jonah Heim looks like a backup catcher to me unless his bat really develops (.222 .286 .323 in three professional seasons). I considered all those guys, but ultimately went with guys who appear to have more upside even if they are unproven right now.

Good call on Jhon Peluffo with the Pads asking for him in the Ubaldo salary dump. With seeing the value placed on relievers and how much they are getting paid, I think Cleavinger and T.Scott are a little higher than we think.

Good call on Jhon Peluffo with the Pads asking for him in the Ubaldo salary dump. With seeing the value placed on relievers and how much they are getting paid, I think Cleavinger and T.Scott are a little higher than we think.

The interest in Peluffo definitely gives me more confidence in his stuff which we haven't heard a whole lot about. You would think players in the GCL would be safe from the trade deadline, but I guess it just shows how shallow our system is.

I like Cleavinger a lot. Scott seems like a bit of a project. Needs to get the walks way down. Like to see both of these guys dominate Bowie next year, if they are still here.

Archived