• 6.1k views
  2. Tim Beckham BA article

• 3 replies
    • 3.4k views
    • 17 replies
    • 6.8k views
    • 8 replies
    • 2.7k views

• This is a fun one to discover with the detail B-Ref and Fangraphs can now provide, and changes a lower information view I had previously had that the Orioles have never beaten the Yankees for something they both wanted. September 12th the Yankees beat the Orioles 3-0 at Memorial Stadium as Jim Palmer drops to 6-12 when he blinks first in the 8th inning of a 0-0 duel with Mike Wallace, and the Orioles fall to 75-69. NYY leads by 2.5 games with 18 to play.     The Orioles revive and close 16-2 to take the AL East championship, including a sweep at Yankee Stadium as part of the division taking run. The BAL wRC+ late that September is 130 - Boog and Don Baylor do the Judge and Soto thing and have 257 and 231 wRC+'s for a couple weeks.    Palmer redeems himself with three complete games of 0.33 ERA.    Naturally fWAR considers Ross Grimsley slightly better with a 3.60 ERA and better peripherals in a similar number of innings during that run.    Kevin Brown should get on bugging Palmer tonight whether or not Grimsley was better than him at the end of the happy 1974 story. They get a 2nd go at OAK in the ALCS but lose again as the A's march towards the 3-peat. It is the 50th anniversary of that in case things get really weird and entertaining the next few days.  
    • I doubt this team does anything in the playoffs but Hyde deserves some credit for keeping it afloat. They could have easily tanked the season and yet they didnt. No long losing streaks
    • He was really terrible and pretty consistent in favor of NYY. Kremer did an amazing job bouncing back from the bad calls, battling the umpire as well as the Yankees hitters. 
    • Wow, I hadn’t realized just how stingy the strike zone was last night.   It’s a testament to the pitches that the score was kept pretty low despite playing in a bandbox with that strike zone.  
    • I'd want to se who the opponent is and re-evaluate then, but right now it's definitely Kremer. If Kremer does start and pitches well, you have to figure he'll cover no more than five innings (or roughly twice through the lineup, again depending on the opponent). There will be plenty of innings left, and Suarez would be a candidate for them in a close game, even if Hyde insists on following Kremer with a LHer).