Baseball America chat

Thanks a lot for the info. I assumed that something had to have changed. I can always remember teams like Pitts and KC passing on players that had more talent so that they would not have to pay big money. I still hope that someone else emerges for them. I think Alvarez would look real good in Orange and Black. If we don't get him, right now I am leaning towards taking Beckham. I know he is a high school kid and will take longer to develop, but from everything I have read it doesn't seem to be too many middle infielders that come along with his talent. If you had to choose between Beckham, Smoak or Hosmer with the #4, who would you go with?

If I had to choose between those 3, assuming that they'll be available, I'd take Beckham in a heart beat. He's got #1 overall talent and he plays a position that our farm system is severely lacking (SS). He may not be available though, and if Alvarez and Matusz also get taken in the top 3 picks, who the next best player available is gets much more cloudy. It could go several ways at that point. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

1.Alvarez

2.Beckham

3.Hosmer

4.Smoak

I really think someone will emerge that will be drafted in the top 3 and Alvarez or Beckham will fall to us. I could actually see Beckham going #1. If we draft Alvarez, does he stay at 3rd? What about Rowell and Snyder? On another note how great would it be if we signed Edward Salcedo and then drafted Hosmer. Hosmer is the guy i really like behind Alvarez and Beckham. I know its far fetched but we have the money why not take a risk on the kid. I read somewhere that they were surprised a team looking to rebuild like us had not gotten into the running for him. Im hoping with Alou down in the DR we start tapping into the spanish market.

Love getting more info on (esp. good info) on Tim Beckham.

I'm not sure if you were just commenting that you loved getting the tidbit that Callis offered up, or if you were looking to get still more info, but in case you (or others reading this thread) haven't seen it, JTrea81 posted a BA article link in this thread.

By the way, thanks again for this thread, appreciate the time you took.

Although it would be nice, I doubt we make a splash like Salcedo or any other $1M bonus baby on the international scene. PA seems to give $ to make an investment. If the investment pays off, he'll give more. If not, he might not give again.

I think we will dip out toes in this year with a starter budget and, if it appears that was $ well spent, that budget will increase.

Although it would be nice, I doubt we make a splash like Salcedo or any other $1M bonus baby on the international scene. PA seems to give $ to make an investment. If the investment pays off, he'll give more. If not, he might not give again.

I think we will dip out toes in this year with a starter budget and, if it appears that was $ well spent, that budget will increase.

Could not agree more. I really hope we start taking a serious look at other countries including the pacific rim.

Could not agree more. I really hope we start taking a serious look at other countries including the pacific rim.

International scouting and player development is one of the biggest areas that MacPhail has reformed, and Angelos has been backing his efforts.

MacPhail went on to say that Peter Angelos, the managing partner of the Orioles, has backed him at every juncture. He supported that claim with a point-by-point demonstration of the cooperation he's received in the rebuilding effort.

"I asked for an improved presence outside the United States, particularly in the Dominican Republic, and we've got a brand new facility there coming online," he said. "We've changed our entire way of how we computerize our reports. We're going to have a brand new video system that's state-of-the-art for next season. As competitive as he is, as much money as he's thrown at this and as much as he wants to win, I've tried to make the case that I think it's time that we take some of our existing assets and trade them for as many future assets as we can. He's been on board and he's been great."

MacPhail also said that the Orioles will begin increased scouting in the Pacific Rim, and that John Stockstill will soon be promoted to director of international scouting. All in all, he said he's "batting 1.000" in terms of asking for things and getting them done, and contends that he's much more comfortable with the team than he was when he arrived.

Source

I'm not sure if you were just commenting that you loved getting the tidbit that Callis offered up, or if you were looking to get still more info, but in case you (or others reading this thread) haven't seen it, JTrea81 posted a BA article link in this thread.

By the way, thanks again for this thread, appreciate the time you took.

Thanks. I've actually read that article before, back when it was first posted on BA's website. That's when I first heard of him, actually. Since then I've casually been scoping out more info and opinions on him. Everything so far as only persuaded me further that he would be the best player for the Orioles to pick.

Tanner Scheppers sounds familiar. I believe he was out of the 2005 draft. We drafted him - the guy who threw too hard for any catcher on his HS team so he had to dial it back. I wanted that guy signed - or maybe I have the wrong guy.

I believe you are correct Hoosiers. I was really hoping we'd pony up and sign him as well. Well, maybe he'll slide a little and we'll get him in the 2nd or 3rd round this time.

I was looking at the top prospects in the system last night, and I realized just how badly we are lacking in real ML quality SS prospects and top impact athletes in general. Beckham would be both. Alvarez is a surer thing with the bat, but the ceiling of Beckham is much greater overall. Alvarez is maybe looking at a position change to LF or 1B, but if he and Beckham were both available, I'd say we should take Alvarez.

I've read a lot about Matusz, but not as much about Crow. Crow may not have the long track record, but if Alvarez, Beckham and Matusz are gone and we end up with a pick between Crow, Hosmer and Smoak...who should JJ pick? (Of course, that is assuming no one else blows up.) I may take Hosmer, but Crow may be real tough to pass up.

I was looking at the top prospects in the system last night, and I realized just how badly we are lacking in real ML quality SS prospects and top impact athletes in general. Beckham would be both. Alvarez is a surer thing with the bat, but the ceiling of Beckham is much greater overall. Alvarez is maybe looking at a position change to LF or 1B, but if he and Beckham were both available, I'd say we should take Alvarez.

I've read a lot about Matusz, but not as much about Crow. Crow may not have the long track record, but if Alvarez, Beckham and Matusz are gone and we end up with a pick between Crow, Hosmer and Smoak...who should JJ pick? (Of course, that is assuming no one else blows up.) I may take Hosmer, but Crow may be real tough to pass up.

Who to take? It's hard to say, and maybe you can't go wrong with any of the three, but you're right, Crow could be hard to pass up. He has great control of a mid to upper 90's fastball and a good slider. I think he was rated as the best prospect in the most recent Cape Cod league. Getting nitpicky, but one knock on him has been, if his stuff is so great why doesn't he strike more guys out? If his strikeout rate goes up this year, he may solidify his place in that 4th spot and if his changeup or other 3rd pitch gets better he could even challenge Matusz as the top college pitcher.

Who to take? It's hard to say, and maybe you can't go wrong with any of the three, but you're right, Crow could be hard to pass up. He has great control of a mid to upper 90's fastball and a good slider. I think he was rated as the best prospect in the most recent Cape Cod league. Getting nitpicky, but one knock on him has been, if his stuff is so great why doesn't he strike more guys out? If his strikeout rate goes up this year, he may solidify his place in that 4th spot and if his changeup or other 3rd pitch gets better he could even challenge Matusz as the top college pitcher.

Agreed on Crow.

There's a long way to go, but I'm hoping that a 5-tool OF rises rapidly and we grab him. Maybe a guy like Isaac Galloway, but he's considered very raw at the plate. If he doesn't jump up, maybe he'll still be around in round 2. We need more athletes who can play CF and SS as well later in the draft.

Agreed on Crow.

There's a long way to go, but I'm hoping that a 5-tool OF rises rapidly and we grab him. Maybe a guy like Isaac Galloway, but he's considered very raw at the plate. If he doesn't jump up, maybe he'll still be around in round 2. We need more athletes who can play CF and SS as well later in the draft.

I'd love to be able to grab Galloway in the 2nd round, too. Although it may be tough since round 2 is more like 2.5 with all the supplemental/sandwich picks after round 1.

Wait...so it is already known that Boras will represent Alverez? I don’t understand why he thinks that the Pirates will def draft him if the DRays pass on him. I may be missing something, but when did the Pirates start to spend money on anything? I could def see them passing on Alverez if Boras is his agent. I can all 3 teams passing on him. Teams that do not like to spend always seem to pass on Boras clients. Does anyone remember J. Weaver and S. Drew from a few years ago?

The Jared Weaver and Stephen Drew examples (and Wieters to a lessor extent) make it much more likely for Pittsburgh to take a chance on a Boras client. Not many teams were willing to go anywhere near Boras' asking price for Weaver and Drew (north of 10m) but they saw that if you are willing to lose the player, Boras will compromise. Both signed for less than half their original asking price. Wieters was a bit more expensive but he also didn't get the Tex money some said he was looking for. I could definately see the Pirates taking a chance to draft the best player available shooting for an ~5m bonus which Boras will likely end up accepting in the end.

Archived