If it came down to Smoak or Beckham, which do you choose?

Say that these two guys come knocking at our door with the 4th spot--which guy do you take, and why?

(Or substitute Smoak for Hosmer if you like his potential better)

It may not come down to drafting out of need, but Beckham could fill a glaring hole for us, while Smoak (or Hosmer) could be adding more depth to a spot we may already have filled (Rowell, Snyder, and the possibility of a stab at Teixeira).

Does it change our thinking if Beckham could be projected as a top 7 SS in MLB down the road, while Smoak (or Hosmer) could be projected to be a top 20 1B/DH?

I mean, if you stack them side by side, Smoak and Hosmer will definitely put up much bigger numbers than Beckham will, but being that good SS are harder to find than 1B and DH's, does this also factor in who would take in this situation?

Beckham, but I think a lot goes into this decision. It depends on the progress that Snyder and Rowell show this year. It also depends on how hard the O's front office plan on going after Teixeira. If Angelos has determined that he'll get Teixeira at whatever cost then going after a 1b in the draft would a little reduntant. I guess it also depends on how impressive LH is...

That being said, at this point, I'd honestly rather have Beckham. He seems like a bona fide 5-tool player. I am most impressed with his speed and stolen base potential, while still being able to put up reasonable power from the SS position. Right now the O's project to have a slew of power bats for the middle of the line-up in 3-4 years. They need some table setters and he'd be perfect. He reminds me of Hanley Ramierez.

I've only read a small amount of scouting reports on Beckham, and I don't know too much about him, but it seems that his strong points are his speed and defense. Says he's got a good bad (spays the ball all over the field) with projectable power as his body fills out.

Good SS who can hold down the position for a good portion of their careers are hard to find, but is Beckham really worth the 4th pick?

Go for Beckham. That would allow us to generate a lot of runs and get solid defense from our SS, C and CF. Three of the four positions that teams generally do not get a lot of offense from.

Get a good offensive second baseman (could still be Roberts) and we are a leg up on the competition.

Of course, I don't think he will be there so again I say we draft Smoak.

I also really like Hosmer.

Yeah, it really depends on if the go hard after Tex., but even then take the best bat or the highest cieling player, depending how you look at it. Some have questions about Beckhams bat potential, so obviously you wait to see if any of these guys have monster years. All that being said, one cannot be sure they'll sign Tex, so take the best bat and trade them later if you have to. I mean if Hosmer or Smoak turns out to be like Bruce this year, then we could get a ton, if we also have Tex.

Anyone know what type of numbers Beckham is projected to put up? Is there a good comparison in the pros?

Beckham is the type of athlete that makes everything he does look easy. He glides to balls hit deep in the hole to either side of him, and runs the bases gracefully, stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples. He has good arm strength, soft hands and good instincts that should allow him to star at shortstop for years to come. While his defense draws more raves that his bat, he has improved at the plate over the last year and is now considered a legitimate threat, as he stings the ball to all parts of the field and has also shown the ability to hit the ball out as his body continues to mature and add strength. Shortstops with Beckham’s ability don’t come around very often, as he’s sure to go early. He was named the MVP of the Aflac All-American Classic going 1-3 with a triple and 3 RBI, 2 thanks to a pair of sac flies in key situations.

Beckham is the type of athlete that makes everything he does look easy. He glides to balls hit deep in the hole to either side of him, and runs the bases gracefully, stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples. He has good arm strength, soft hands and good instincts that should allow him to star at shortstop for years to come. While his defense draws more raves that his bat, he has improved at the plate over the last year and is now considered a legitimate threat, as he stings the ball to all parts of the field and has also shown the ability to hit the ball out as his body continues to mature and add strength. Shortstops with Beckham’s ability don’t come around very often, as he’s sure to go early. He was named the MVP of the Aflac All-American Classic going 1-3 with a triple and 3 RBI, 2 thanks to a pair of sac flies in key situations.

I read this scouting report, and it raised a question mark about his batting potential. He's only improved over the last year to now be considered a legitimate threat--but he's got to prove he can not only continue to hit like he did last year, but also raise the bar to new levels this year.

If he's just an incredible glove with an average bat, I wouldn't consider him a top 4 pick.

But then again, scouts are raving about his potential and they have obviously seen him play more than I, so I'll have to take their word for it.

Read somewhere that he reminds of a young Barry Larkin.

I take Beckham over a first baseman.

I don't want to see us spend a #4 pick on a first baseman. I'd rather grab the top pitcher available with the pick if the option is a first baseman or a pitcher.

That's a large comparison. During his heyday, Larkin was a star on both sides of the field--he could do fantastic things with his glove and bat.

If indeed Beckham has a chance to do damage with his bat, as he has the ability with his glove, then I'm all for him with the 4th pick.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Beckham is indeed a threat with his bat, even as they project him to advance through the minors?

I would rank them:

1) Hosmer - Starting to love this kid and his potential

2) Beckham - Wouldn't be disappointed at all with him as our pick. I think he may be gone though by the time we pick IMO.

3) Smoak - Would be nice to put him on the same timetable (atleast close) as the one Weiters is on.

I'll preface this debate by saying I would take the higher ranked player regardless of position, were I Jordan.

These comparisons are difficult, especially not knowing how they will look as the draft nears. However, basing my views on preliminary scouting reports, I'd choose Beckham by a hair, as his upside is greater than Smoak, and he plays a more premium position. However, I'd choose Hosmer over Beckham at this juncture, solely because I think of Hosmer so highly. I'd rank Hosmer over Rowell as a draftee, and I like Rowell a lot, so you can see why I would want him as an Oriole.

The choice at #4 this year should be tremendous, regardless of who we take. Our draft will be a full one, and I look forward to seeing who Jordan brings into the fold.

Archived