2018 29th Round (365) Jared Denning - C - Solano JC

“He went to hit in the morning game, in the second inning I think, and at that time of day out there it’s totally filled up. All the coaches are there and everybody’s fresh and paying close attention,” Sillanpaa recalled. “He went up there in his first at-bat and the first pitch he got, from a kid who had earlier signed with Kansas, turned on it and just hammered it over the right-field wall.

“It got out in a hurry, and it was loud. It was one of those moments where the place is just dead silent and then somebody lets out one of those whistles. The whole place saw it. It was one of those really cool moments and it definitely made a statement in an all-star environment.”

Denning said he wasn’t thinking home run when he went to the plate.

“I was just looking to have fun,” he said. “I kinda had the jitters. I was real nervous. I didn’t know if I was going to do good or not. I just went up to bat and tried to relax, and the first pitch I swung as hard as I could and it ended up over the fence.”

Denning hit .360 with 49 hits for Solano last spring, including 18 doubles, a triple, three home runs, 39 RBIs, a .465 on-base percentage and a .574 slugging percentage. But that one bash at the showcase seemed to make just as much of an impact on his future.

https://napavalleyregister.com/sports/college-and-pro/american-canyon-alum-denning-powers-his-way-back-to-division/article_7731c63a-73cd-5c9b-946e-eb350145dcca.html

Archived