Orioles Hangout Top 10 Prospects: #9 - Pedro Beato - RHP

ScottieBaseball

Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who's #9 on the Orioles Hangout Top Prospect List?

• David Hernandez
    • Bob McCrory
    • Pedro Beato
    • Tyler Henson
    • Radhames Liz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over Synder, Hernandez, Hoey and Bascom?

Wait, you think the 4 of them are out of the Top 10?

If McCrory didnt make 9 or 10, I would think he would fall at 11.

So far we have Britton and Beato.

Wieters, Rowell, Erbe, Liz, Spoone, Reimold, and Olson are definately going to fill in spots 1-7. I would think Snyder comes it at 8.

Hell, maybe McCrory falls to 14th or 15th, if that is what you are getting at.

Interesting that he wasnt allowed to use his cut fastball as much this season. I dont remember hearing about this on the board before. Hopefully that is a big reason why his numbers arent as impressive as most believed or hoped it would be.

Wait, you think the 4 of them are out of the Top 10?

If McCrory didnt make 9 or 10, I would think he would fall at 11.

So far we have Britton and Beato.

Wieters, Rowell, Erbe, Liz, Spoone, Reimold, and Olson are definately going to fill in spots 1-7. I would think Snyder comes it at 8.

Hell, maybe McCrory falls to 14th or 15th, if that is what you are getting at.

Correct...Power arm but mixed reports on a second pitch...Not young for his league either.

And don't forget Moore, Berken, Bergesen and Hoey as well.

I expected Beato (since Tony said a while ago that Beato would certainly be in the top-10), but I voted Hernandez.

His peripherals were excellent, his stuff from what I've read is good. He made big progress with his control at a higher level and improved his K rate as well. He is a FB pitcher, so homers may be a problem for him. He has given up more homers to RHB the last two years, so I'm hoping his revelation that he should use his change-up against RHB will help him improve upon that. Plus, he was only 22 last year.

Beato is the bigger name, but his numbers were pretty ordinary. He did get a lot of GBs, which was a plus. The part of how he abandoned his cut-fastball was interesting and not something I knew earlier. I'm not sure why they told him to abandon that pitch completely...hopefully he hasn't lost his feel for that pitch.

I probably would of put Beato 10 or 11 on the prospect list, right next to Britton.

The OH narrative on Beato is pretty informative. Sounds like the O's have him working on refinining certain pitches rather than simply trying to maximize his current statistical performance. Sometimes it's good to remember that in the minors its not always about just trying to get the next batter out any way you can.

Just throwing this out there as he doesn't look as good to me when you compare him against some of the higher ceilling (and younger) pitchers in this system. Beato, Hernandez, Spoone, Arrieta, Liz all seem to have much higher ceilings in my opinion due to their ages and reported "stuff". Plus, it seems as if the OH crew tends to reward this much more than actual minor league results. Yes, Olson has a proven track record in the minor leagues and he has a good make-up. But, the fact is he did not look good in his major league appearences this year (I know its a small sample size) and as he is getting older (24 going into next season), his ceiling is rapidly becoming much lower. Is his celing now a 4th or 5th starter? I think this system is much better than we give it credit for (at least when it comes to pitching). And to have Olson in the Top 10 would be an eye opener to me. I am ready for my lashings now.....

Just throwing this out there as he doesn't look as good to me when you compare him against some of the higher ceilling (and younger) pitchers in this system. Beato, Hernandez, Spoone, Arrieta, Liz all seem to have much higher ceilings in my opinion due to their ages and reported "stuff". Plus, it seems as if the OH crew tends to reward this much more than actual minor league results. Yes, Olson has a proven track record in the minor leagues and he has a good make-up. But, the fact is he did not look good in his major league appearences this year (I know its a small sample size) and as he is getting older (24 going into next season), his ceiling is rapidly becoming much lower. Is his celing now a 4th or 5th starter? I think this system is much better than we give it credit for (at least when it comes to pitching). And to have Olson in the Top 10 would be an eye opener to me. I am ready for my lashings now.....

Olson is a couple of adjustments away from being a solid #3. Most of those other guys are probably at least two years or more away from their ceilings, if they stay healthy and even reach them. Olson doesn't have any projection left(probably), but he's durable and low risk and that is valuable.

It is a fair question, and in part it depends on how much you are weighing a player's ceiling vs. how much you are weighing the likelihood that they will be at least a serviceable major league player. If you look at Olson's track record, (1) he has succeeded at every level, and (2) it has taken him a month or two to adjust every time he has been moved up a level. I have very little doubt that he is going to be good enough to hold down a spot in our rotation, and in that case, he has to be in the top 10, even if he'll never have the talent of a Bedard or a Loewen.

Archived