Want to waste some time? MLB EloRater

Tony-OH

This was worth it just to see the stats of Jake Stahl. Dude had 1 career strikeout. Upon investigation it looks like the last year he played was the first year for which there are strikeout stats. And he only batted twice.

This was worth it just to see the stats of Jake Stahl. Dude had 1 career strikeout. Upon investigation it looks like the last year he played was the first year for which there are strikeout stats. And he only batted twice.

I know drungo will probably show up on my doorstep with a rifle after this comment, but I just don't vote for any player who played before 1900. Baseball was just too different and I can't justify saying a guy was a better hitter when stats keeping, rulings, and the quality of players were way different.

I know drungo will probably show up on my doorstep with a rifle after this comment, but I just don't vote for any player who played before 1900. Baseball was just too different and I can't justify saying a guy was a better hitter when stats keeping, rulings, and the quality of players were way different.

His sense of poetic justice would leave him armed with a musket.

I can't see the name Stahl without thinking of Jake's MLB peer Chick Stahl, who is kind of (in)famous for committing suicide by drinking carbolic acid while still an active player.

Hey, I find 19th century baseball to be endlessly interesting, with a huge cast of characters and incidents and things you'd never see in a movie because nobody would believe them (steal of home wins World Series! Seriously!). But it's hard to argue that the quality of play even in the best of 19th century leagues was better than maybe AAA. Put Ichiro in the National League in 1894 and he just might hit .500.

Example: The official records still count the 1884 Union Association as a major league, and it was probably low-A quality. Fred Dunlap was the UA's big star, and outside of that league he was kind of a poor man's Brian Roberts. His one year in the UA he hit .412.

I think you can compare players from the 1800s to later eras, you just have to apply a pretty big discount.

• 4 weeks later...

So every now and then I do some ratings in here. I just got George Brett and Joe Morgan, and Morgan's numbers really struck me. I know he was an amazing player, but sometimes I feel like his overall aura as a HOF player is diminished by his less-than-stellar career as a broadcaster. Here is the WAR comparison. The rankings currently have him at #34- right below Wade Boggs and right above Pete Rose. I guess thats about right.

Seasonal WAR(Best → Worst)Rk 	Brett 	Morgan1 	9.6 	12.02 	8.7 	10.03 	8.0 	10.04 	8.0 	9.95 	7.6 	9.16 	5.8 	6.27 	5.2 	5.58 	5.1 	5.29 	5.1 	5.110 	4.6 	5.111 	4.1 	4.212 	3.3 	3.613 	2.7 	3.414 	2.6 	3.415 	2.4 	3.316 	1.6 	2.617 	0.8 	1.818 	0.4 	1.519 	0.0 	1.520 	-0.2 	0.221 	-0.4 	0.122 		-0.2Total 	85.0 	103.5Wt Sum 	61.7 	72.6Wa MVP 	11.9 	21.2WaE 	39.1 	51.0

Looking at the criteria for matchups:

The first player is randomly selected to begin the process. Following that, a second player with a rating within 250 points of the first player is randomly selected to complete the pair.

This means that last place Juan Castro, with his score of 163, can ONLY be currently compared to Doug Flynn who has a score of 369. Next up is a score of 479. Poor Juan Castro.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/ratings.cgi

Koufax vs Mariano Rivera is making my head explode...

I had to pick Rivera but it was really hard.

I would have picked Koufax. Because I can imagine Koufax filling Rivera's shoes, but not vice versa. SSS alert, but Rivera's ERA as a starter was 5.94.

I'm of a mind that on most teams today the guy filling the closer role is really the 4th or 5th best closer on the team. #s 1-3 or 4 are in the rotation.

Archived