Ryan Ripken Update

I know there have been some questions about Ripken on this board in the past -- just thought I'd pass along some info.

I was notified today that Ripken was offered, and accepted, a spot in this upcoming summer's Under Armour All-America Game at Wrigley Field. It's a great collection of talent and is generally viewed as the sister premier HS All-Star Game on the scouting circuit, Along with the Aflac All-American Classic (which is put on by Perfect Game, with players selected by Perfect Game).

Ripken is one of two pure 1B listed on the current rosters, with two more two-way players also having potential to log time at 1st. The game will be August 13th. Anyone in the Chicago Area is highly recommended to attend -- just a wonderful event and well run. Includes a homerun derby before the game and BP/Infield/Outfield. Scouts are treated to a scout workout day on Friday, as well.

UA Team One runs tryouts for the game through various tournaments, as opposed to just selecting 40 guys. I hadn't previously thought of him as a Top 3 Rounds kind of player, but apparently he showed really well over the past two months in tourney/showcase play. And, of course, HS players can develop quickly. I would certainly assume that he earned this spot, regardless of name.

Keep in mind, also, that as a pure 1B he isn't likely to get much early attention unless his bat shows as truly elite (at an Eric Hosmer level). That doesn't mean he isn't still one of the best HS 1B bats in the country -- just that he may be unlikely to come of the board until the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Round, depending on the draft class and the needs of drafting teams.

Safe bet that the Orioles draft him?

I'd assume so, if he isn't considered an elite talent. Elite talent is going to go to whoever has the need early/opportunity. If he lasts until the 3rd or 4th Rd, I'd assume BAL grabs him. If he lasts into the late single-digits I'd all but guarantee the Orioles take him, as they should from a PR/Ripken-relations standpoint.

The bonus is that it might chap Ozzie Guillen to see an org do that after his greif with the Sox last year.

I'd assume so, if he isn't considered an elite talent. Elite talent is going to go to whoever has the need early/opportunity. If he lasts until the 3rd or 4th Rd, I'd assume BAL grabs him. If he lasts into the late single-digits I'd all but guarantee the Orioles take him, as they should from a PR/Ripken-relations standpoint.

The bonus is that it might chap Ozzie Guillen to see an org do that after his greif with the Sox last year.

Here here :beerchug1:

:laughlol:

Archived