vs. ATHLETICS 5/29

OFFNY

A rookie outpitching his peripherals is not an ace. Britton is a nice young pitcher but it takes more then a good April/May to be an ace. I will be very happy if he ends up as a solid #2 for the next six years.

Fine, he's not an ace. He's still a starting pitcher on our staff, and he gave up 6 runs in 5.67 innings, which nobody seems to care about. I know that we all love Zach, but we scored four runs for him today and give him a 4-1 lead, which he promptly blew.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A rookie outpitching his peripherals is not an ace. Britton is a nice young pitcher but it takes more then a good April/May to be an ace. I will be very happy if he ends up as a solid #2 for the next six years.

He pitched like #2 today. :D

Fine, he's not an ace. He's still a starting pitcher on our staff, and he gave up 6 runs in 5.67 innings, which nobody seems to care about. I know that we all love Zach, but we scored four runs for him today and give him a 4-1 lead, which he promptly blew.

Yeah, I think all of the angst you are reading in this thread is pretty much due to the bolded part. Nobody cares?

There is nothing wrong with Zach having an off day today. He's probably our best pitcher (along with Guthrie and Matusz), and even great pitchers have off days .......... but it's also important to call it what it is, and stop pissing at the offense just because it's convenient to piss at them. Zach had a bad day today. It's OK. Unfortunately, it came after back-to-back losses, so we are probably about to get swept.

I have been waiting a month for him to have one of these games so yeah, it doesn't bother me at all.

Plus it's all Nolan's fault anyway. :P

There is nothing wrong with Zach having an off day today. He's probably our best pitcher (along with guthrie and Matusz), and even great poitchers have off days .......... but it's also important to call it what it is, and stop pissing at the offense just because it's convenient to piss at them. Zach had a bad day today. Unfortunately, it came after back-to-back losses, so we are probably about to get swept.

Zach has been extremely lucky this season. He was not as dominant as his ERA suggested, and now his peripherals are catching up to him. This comes as no surprise to some, but to those who thought he was a 2.14 ERA pitcher for real, well, 6 runs might be shocking.

Yeah, I think all of the angst you are reading in this thread is pretty much due to the bolded part. Nobody cares?

Don't take my comment out of context. I didn't say that no one cares. I said that no one cares about simply saying that Zach blew a lead today and had a bad day, and you know it. Stop playing games. It's annoying enough to watch us lose another game.

Don't take my comment out of context. I didn't say that no one cares. I said that no one cares about simply saying that Zach blew a lead today and had a bad day, and you know it. Stop playing games. It's annoying enough to watch us lose another game.

What the hell are you talking about? Playing games? Perhaps all those jokes you make about being a head case are true. Whatever, you can wallow in your own self pity.

There is nothing wrong with Zach having an off day today. He's probably our best pitcher (along with Guthrie and Matusz), and even great pitchers have off days .......... but it's also important to call it what it is, and stop pissing at the offense just because it's convenient to piss at them. Zach had a bad day today. It's OK. Unfortunately, it came after back-to-back losses, so we are probably about to get swept.

Funny thing is if we had an offense his off day still could have gotten him the win.

Popped back in because, like it or not, I'm addicted to this team. Only to confirm what I already knew - the two-out three-run jack was a life killing event. The O put up 4 in the 4th and then promptly folded the tent the minute they got back down against a mediocre Athletics team. Let me repeat this - the Athletics are pretty much the very definition of mediocrity. The All-Star committee will have a hard time figuring out who should rep the team in the AS game (Gio, prolly). And we couldn't figure out a way to win one lousy game against them. Riddled with problems, this team is. Just give me the spike, the hose, the metal spooooooooooooooooooooooooooon....

MATUSZ TONIGHT:

IP: 3

R:. 0

H:. 4

SO: 2

BB: 1

2011 ERA: 1.00

Pitches: 54 (38 Strikes, 16 Balls)

MATUSZ PITCHES BY INNING:

1st:. 17

2nd: 21

3rd:. 16