Wow, there are a lot of overly dramatic posts being thrown around here. This is the baseball draft, you draft the best player available regardless of position or age. It's such a crapshoot you have to trust your judgment of talent and hope the guy stays healthy. Get talent in the system, let it marinate, see what you got. Relax, people. I am no judge of high school talent, but from the experts take this was certainly not a bad pick from a sheer talent perspective.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Zach Britton was not a first round pick, so yes, I am.[/quote

Your last statement that I bolded said 'We just don't develop high schoolers." Anyway, you think we can develop high school arms drafted in the fifth round but not ones drafted in the first? Aside from Mr. Hobgood (one pick and the final chapter isn't even written yet) how far back are you reaching for a high school arm drafted in the first round?

Not really, I'm saying that college players are much more likely to become contributing major leaguers. It's true in the Orioles' draft history, and true in MLB. In fact, the Orioles have never drafted a 1st round HS pitcher that has been a successful major leaguer.

I do think the later rounds are different. The later rounds are a crap shoot. Go ahead and draft a high schooler there, absolutely. In the first round you have a chance at getting someone who can contribute in the near term.

Keep in mind that not only was Bundy the top HS pitcher in the draft, but this was also a signability pick. Joe Jordan has rapport with Bobby Bundy's family already, undoubtedly has met Dylan countless times, has preached the word "You could play alongside your brother one day"... picking Bundy made all too much sense.

Keep in mind that not only was Bundy the top HS pitcher in the draft, but this was also a signability pick. Joe Jordan has rapport with Bobby Bundy's family already, undoubtedly has met Dylan countless times, has preached the word "You could play alongside your brother one day"... picking Bundy made all too much sense.

I don't know if you can call a kid who's going to get a signing bonus somewhere between 6-8 million dollars a signability pick.

Hahaha, this was the opposite of a "signability pick" and anyone thinks that signing him is a foregone conclusion really needs to face reality. "College is an option".

Bundy's senior stats: 71 IP, 158 Ks, 5 walks. 0.20 or 0.25 ERA. Something like that.

I don't care if you're facing Little Leaguers, that's pretty darned impressive. Fastball that hits mid to upper 90s with control. Two other plus pitches with the potential for a fourth per Stotle.

Anyone criticizing that pick needs their head examined.

This was definitely NOT a signability pick. Far from it. I'll go along with the thought that Jordan and MacPhail are familiar with the situation, have a working relationship with the Bundy camp, and expect that a deal will eventually get done. It won't be easy and it will cost the O's and the O's know that going in.

I support this pick wholeheartedly BTW...

Bundy's probably going to get more money than Cole, Bauer or Hultzen IMO.

Is that why you support it?;)

I agree with you. Not a huge gap between Bundy and Rendon, IMO, and if Rendon has an injury you have to make the safer pick.

Archived