8th - John Ruettiger - CF - Arizona State University

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand lumping Angle and Mummey together. Angle has no power at all, whereas Mummey has some power. I'm not saying Mummey is better, but they are not the same type of player really.

Polished, speedy college CFs with contact hitting skills and good BB/K numbers but limited power? I agree that Mummey has more power than Angle, but he's (Mummey) got a total of 5 HRs in 415 PAs (.402 career MiL slugging) - not exactly a big threat to go deep.

Polished, speedy college CFs with contact hitting skills and good BB/K numbers but limited power? I agree that Mummey has more power than Angle, but he's (Mummey) got a total of 5 HRs in 415 PAs (.402 career MiL slugging) - not exactly a big threat to go deep.

No, Mummey's not a big threat to go deep -- but his ISO is a lot higher than Angle's. This guy looks more like an Angle than a Mummey based on his collegiate performance.

No, Mummey's not a big threat to go deep -- but his ISO is a lot higher than Angle's. This guy looks more like an Angle than a Mummey based on his collegiate performance.

I think this is a pretty good take on it. He's also not the defender Angle is.

I agree. Still, which player in the O's system is most similar to Mummey? Which is most similar to Angle? I don't think it's a terrible comparison.

I agree. Still, which player in the O's system is most similar to Mummey? Which is most similar to Angle? I don't think it's a terrible comparison.

I could argue that Kyle Hudson is closer to Angle than Mummey is.

Angle: .283/.371/.346 (.063 ISO)

Mummey: .258/.333/.402 (.144 ISO)

Hudson: .265/.352/.301 (.036 ISO)

But, whatever. I understand your point.

I'm a big fan of what I'm hearing in this thread. A 280/350/380 CF with maybe +5 defense and 20-30 steals would be a great, great player to grab in the 8th (my interpretation of his skillset only).

He's not a great baserunner, so he'll need to clean that up if he wants to log 20+ steals in the Majors. But the footspeed will play in center.

Stotle, how would you rank Angle/Hudson/Mummey/Ruettiger?

JR is a bit of a wildcard because he hasn't had the opportunity to log big innings in center field at ASU. If he holds up there, he's on par with Mummey in overall package -- slightly less power. Angle is the best defender and fastest of all of them, the bat is behind everyone but Hudson (and Hudson has more offensive upside). I guess gun to head, I'd go:

Mummey, Ruettiger, Angle, Hudson

JR is a bit of a wildcard because he hasn't had the opportunity to log big innings in center field at ASU. If he holds up there, he's on par with Mummey in overall package -- slightly less power. Angle is the best defender and fastest of all of them, the bat is behind everyone but Hudson (and Hudson has more offensive upside). I guess gun to head, I'd go:

Mummey, Ruettiger, Angle, Hudson

Interesting, considering where they were drafted (Mummey 4, Angle 7, Hudson 4).

Archived