8th - John Ruettiger - CF - Arizona State University

Maybe these players are holding out because coming to the Orioles is like going to the abyss?

Maybe they don't feel this organization would develop them properly?

I've talked to so many baseball fans over the years and you'd be surprised how little most fans know about how baseball works in general. Sure, most people who frequent the OH know all about player development, scouting, and such, but most people don't understand why teams like the Pirates would trade away their best players like Jason Bay. I'd be surprised if more than a very small percentage of college baseball players know the player development reputation of major league systems.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every drafted player I've talked to at Aberdeen is glad to be in the system and was happy to be taken by the Orioles. Granted, they're already in the system and they're the ones who signed early, but still, I don't think there's a huge sense that getting drafted by the Orioles is a death sentence for a player's career.

One in particular, 11th round pick Adam Davis, said he was happy to get drafted by the O's because of the recent aggressive promotion strategy, and that he'd heard good things from Kyle Hudson about the organization, which led to him signing quickly.

I mean sure, I'd imagine they might have preferred to go to the Red Sox or another team like that, but in the low minors, there's really not a whole lot of difference between the Orioles and other teams. So I don't think a guy like Ruettiger is thinking "oh man, I got drafted by the Orioles, better not sign and re-enter as a senior." He'd lose almost all his leverage and there would be no guarantee he'd go to a "good" organization. For high schoolers, maybe it makes some sense, but if a college junior is holding out, most likely it's about the money, IMO.

If Reuttiger is offered a chance to play CF for ASU next year he could up his value. Also, may just be interested in staying an extra year and going after a college world series. It's not like he would be turning down crazy money. I could see him signing or going back to school.

I read somewhere that ASU is not eligible for post season play next year due to NCAA violations so I do not think coming back to play in a College World Series is on the table for him. He is also older than most juniors so not sure why he would hold off signing other than he loves college.

I read somewhere that ASU is not eligible for post season play next year due to NCAA violations so I do not think coming back to play in a College World Series is on the table for him. He is also older than most juniors so not sure why he would hold off signing other than he loves college.

CWS or not, if he can make himself into a 3/4th rounder with a nice season in CF, he stands to gain...right?

It's an understandable consideration.

I'm not sure what Tony meant by saying it "is pretty telling." What is that telling us?

I believe that decision is being appealed , but maybe it was already resolved. In any event, he isn't getting great money. So he isn't really hurt by going back to school. If he gets to play CF he good earn an extra $200 K and also get his degree.

Man, this was the one guy I wanted to sign most (after Bundy, of course).

I'm honestly asking this, but why? The reports I saw on him said good average guy, some speed, little power, average defensively. sounds like at best a 4th outfielder... Just wondering what made you so high on him?

I'm honestly asking this, but why? The reports I saw on him said good average guy, some speed, little power, average defensively. sounds like at best a 4th outfielder... Just wondering what made you so high on him?

Speaking for myself, a potential 4th OF is a nice get in the 8th round, no? I mean, if you aren't going the Yankees route and putting $600K down on high risk high reward in someone like Cave.

Archived