How would you grade the Orioles draft?

How would you grade the Orioles draft?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the Orioles draft?

I don't know enough about the players past about the first 5-6 to really comment but what is most disturbing is how few picks we had at the top of the draft. When one of your division rivals has 10 picks between your 1st and 2nd you are pretty much in trouble.

C

I am absolutely ecstatic about Dylan Bundy. As state above though it's too early to judge. Assuming everyone gets signed though I will give it a "C" as with it appearing the team went heavy for relief pitching. I like Delmonico and Ruettiger selections. We've just no real idea in what we've gotten with anyone except the top two picks.

What are we grading, exactly? I mean, Dylan Bundy is a great prospect, but considering our draft position, it didn't take a genius to draft him, and even if we had picked Starling or Rendon I would have been extremely pleased with the pick. If we are grading based on expected impact of our draft class compared to our peers, then we get a poor grade compared to Tampa, Boston and Toronto because of all the picks they had. If we are grading based on how we did considering the opportunities we had, then I think we get a C.

My grade is whatever Tony/Stotle/allstar/RVA think it should be. I can't pretend to really know.

The college bullpen arms with starting potential, a la Klein, was a big theme. Its an interesting strategy. Perhaps Jordan feels its how he could get get a shot at quality starting pitching depth when our organization lacked the volume of high picks that our competitors had. He chose several, which helps the odds of one of them sticking. Can't say I'm really thrilled, though.

I get more excited by Bundy the more I read, and can't complain about the Esposito or Delmonico picks.

Although I would have preferred the checkbook opening up in the 2nd/3rd rounds, I think this draft indicates the front office's confidence in our positional (infield) talent in the lower minors. It also looks like Jordan is attempting to fill the bullpen from within, a la Kansas City. I'm happy with that. All told, I'd like to have seen a bit more of a high upside talent infusion (Norris/Purke).

LOVE the Bundy pick over Tony Rendon, and I'm a Rice Undergraduate. That gives the draft a B- alone in my eyes. If we sign Delmonico and a few of the relief projects stick and move quickly, it's a B+ to me. Obviously if Bundy is a 1/2/3 in Baltimore by 2014 this draft is a A- or better.

In my inexpert estimation:

B+ if we sign Delmonico. B- if he doesn't.

I think it makes sense for Baltimore to go pitching heavy in the draft, so I like Jordan's approach. Don't really like the Esposito pick.

Although I would have preferred the checkbook opening up in the 2nd/3rd rounds, I think this draft indicates the front office's confidence in our positional (infield) talent in the lower minors. It also looks like Jordan is attempting to fill the bullpen from within, a la Kansas City. I'm happy with that. All told, I'd like to have seen a bit more of a high upside talent infusion (Norris/Purke).

LOVE the Bundy pick over Tony Rendon, and I'm a Rice Undergraduate. That gives the draft a B- alone in my eyes. If we sign Delmonico and a few of the relief projects stick and move quickly, it's a B+ to me. Obviously if Bundy is a 1/2/3 in Baltimore by 2014 this draft is a A- or better.

I hope not. As good as Schoop & Machado are, they're still in low A... still a lot of time left for something to go wrong and for us to get unlucky, per the usual. I'm obviously hoping that isn't the case, but either way, winning teams who do it right don't stop drafting the best talent year in and year out. You keep going. I'd love to be in a position to be able to let some MLB talent walk away from time to time to build up more and more draft picks, but it doesn't seem like we'll ever get there with our current philosophy.

I hope not. As good as Schoop & Machado are, they're still in low A... still a lot of time left for something to go wrong and for us to get unlucky, per the usual. I'm obviously hoping that isn't the case, but either way, winning teams who do it right don't stop drafting the best talent year in and year out. You keep going. I'd love to be in a position to be able to let some MLB talent walk away from time to time to build up more and more draft picks, but it doesn't seem like we'll ever get there with our current philosophy.

Not to belittle your point, but Schoop is at High-A now.

How many ML players does a team average out of the draft? 2 or 3? Every year I see the same hand-wringing posts. Bundy is exciting and you get 1 or 2 others to pan out, you have yourself a successful draft.

Someone on MLB Channel's coverage yesterday made a claim that between 40 and 50 of the 1500 players drafted each year ever make the majors. Don't know if the estimation is accurate or not.

Archived