Ripken and Palmer called some of most overrated players of all time

Orioles0615

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Derek Jeter on that list? Just wondering if I should even spend any time refuting these claims...

Anyway, I always have the opinion that to be overrated you have to be highly thought of by a large amount of people in the first place. And most of the time the people who bring out overrated stuff are just haters. Unless, of course, it's about Derek Jeter. :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/896497-cal-ripken-jr-nolan-ryan-and-the-40-most-overrated-players-of-all-time

Interesting article, some of these players he lists including Cal and Plamer I don't understand. Among others are Nolan Ryan, Cy Young, Ernie Banks, and Pete Rose, and several players playing today.

I know it's blasphemy in these parts, but I agree on Ripken. Thought he always was a little overrated. Completely disagree on Palmer, he was one of the best of his time (and ever).

Overrated is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. The main argument that Palmer is overrated is that he had one of the great defensive teams of all time behind him during the prime of his career. I guess I see that, but I promise you, the guy was a great pitcher. The argument on Cal was that he really wasn't that good a hitter. Some truth there, but you have to consider how few good-hitting shortstops there were when Cal was playing, especially in the first half of his career before other teams began to emulate what the Orioles had done with Cal. And what the writer misses is that Cal is vastly underrated as a defensive player. He is in the top 10 defensive players of all time in terms of dWAR.

I know it's blasphemy in these parts, but I agree on Ripken. Thought he always was a little overrated. Completely disagree on Palmer, he was one of the best of his time (and ever).

Curse You!!!:cussing: Just Kidding, I can agree to somewhat that his stats can be a little overhyped, but what he represented and how he changed the SS position,and playing everyday while also having above averaged stats, i don't think that can be topped. Then again he is one of Heros so I am a little biased lol.

And yes Jeter was included at the beginning of the article.

Overrated is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. The main argument that Palmer is overrated is that he had one of the great defensive teams of all time behind him during the prime of his career. I guess I see that, but I promise you, the guy was a great pitcher. The argument on Cal was that he really wasn't that good a hitter. Some truth there, but you have to consider how few good-hitting shortstops there were when Cal was playing, especially in the first half of his career before other teams began to emulate what the Orioles had done with Cal. And what the writer misses is that Cal is vastly underrated as a defensive player. He is in the top 10 defensive players of all time in terms of dWAR.
Its the bleacher report..do you expect actual good research?

I believe Cal is regarded, in terms of WAR, as one of the top 30ish players ever and the second greatest SS ever.

Unless people are saying Cal was one of the 5-10 greatest players ever, I am not sure how anyone can call him overrated.

Just a quick scan through the first dozen or so finds that along with Cal we have Bo Jackson and Carl Crawford. (?) To his credit, Derek Jeter is first, but perhaps this is just a strategic move.

My theory is that Mr. McClintock needs to get his pageviews up to keep his job.

As someone already said, it's Bleacher Report. They accept 20% of the people who apply to write for them. That sounds like not a lot, and they treat it as a badge of honor (i.e., we accept "only" 20%), but think about it. How many people do you think ESPN or even the Sun rejects? I can think of more than a dozen people off the top of my head from this message board who could easily write for B/R should they choose to do so.

3000+ hits, 400+ hrs. When you are one of, I believe, 7 players in the history of the game to accomplish --and as a middle infielder-- you are not overrated.

Just skimming, it seems like one of the common themes is this guy is anti-"compiling," that is, racking up counting stats by playing a lot of years. See Yaz, Lou Brock, Johnny Damon, Sutter, Nolan Ryan, etc. But I think he's missing that there's a big difference between someone like Yaz or Ripken and someone like Damon (though personally I think Damon has been an underrated player all throughout his career).

I'd like to see a list of the most underrated players of all time. That's far more interesting.

I think Chipper Jones is extremely underrated. Number 35 all-time in WAR among offensive players. I think everyone knows he has been a very good player and he will make the Hall of Fame, but he's on a higher tier than people realize. Among active playes, Jones is significantly ahead of Jeter, but I don't think many see it that way.

Some people will be annoyed by this, but Mike Mussina is extremely underrated IMO. He's 24th in WAR among pitchers, well ahead of Jim Palmer. People get hung up on the fact that he never won a Cy Young or a World Series ring, but the guy is one of the most consistently excellent pitchers ever to play. I'm not sure I accept that he was actually better than Palmer, but he was every bit as good.

I'd like to see a list of the most underrated players of all time. That's far more interesting.

I think Chipper Jones is extremely underrated. Number 35 all-time in WAR among offensive players. I think everyone knows he has been a very good player and he will make the Hall of Fame, but he's on a higher tier than people realize. Among active playes, Jones is significantly ahead of Jeter, but I don't think many see it that way.

Some people will be annoyed by this, but Mike Mussina is extremely underrated IMO. He's 24th in WAR among pitchers, well ahead of Jim Palmer. People get hung up on the fact that he never won a Cy Young or a World Series ring, but the guy is one of the most consistently excellent pitchers ever to play. I'm not sure I accept that he was actually better than Palmer, but he was every bit as good.

Two great picks and two no-doubt HOFers if I was the one doing the choosing, but one may not be first ballot and one may struggle to make it at all, depending on whether voting standards change to adjust for the modern era (other than voting in a couple of closers, they really haven't, yet).

Archived