Joey Votto available?

My O's Face

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I neg rep for this ridiculousness?

I was going to do a "fixed that for you" and make it say "I wonder if that would be enough...to still be the worst trade of the decade at the end of 2020..." but it just isn't worth starting the argument.

Only if you want to keep losing...

I am perfectly content losing for 2-3 years if it means we're setting ourselves up to be competitive for 10+ years thereafter. No plan of yours looks past 2013.

It's about acquiring the talent to win when it is available.

Lucky for us. Talent will always be available. Name an offseason where premium talent wasn't available via trade or FA?

We go through this every time.

Nobody wanted to trade for Tex, nobody wanted to trade for Gonzalez, or Fielder, or Cabrera...

The price is always too high. Well there's a reason for that, and it's because those players are difference makers in their prime. And if you don't want to pay the prices on the FA market, then you have to be willing to trade your prospects.

Or, you can actually develop the talent yourself and be the sellers instead of the buyers... Further improving your system

Otherwise we can keep winding up with projects and reclamation projects at 1B like we have for the past 13 years since Raffy left the first time...

You wind up signing projects and reclamation projects when your farm system is so depleted you can't develop big league caliper players. If you're looking to reduce the amount of young talent we have in the system, trading for Votto should do a nice job of that.

Can you at least acknowledge that, if you don't have a $160M + payroll, you need a good farm system to have continued success?

Only if you want to keep losing...

It's about acquiring the talent to win when it is available.

We go through this every time.

Nobody wanted to trade for Tex, nobody wanted to trade for Gonzalez, or Fielder, or Cabrera...

The price is always too high. Well there's a reason for that, and it's because those players are difference makers in their prime. And if you don't want to pay the prices on the FA market, then you have to be willing to trade your prospects.

Otherwise we can keep winding up with projects and reclamation projects at 1B like we have for the past 13 years since Raffy left the first time...

The price is always too high when it's all of your young talent for one first baseman. Always.

Make your trade and the O's are a 75-win team with ZERO talent on the farm. To me that's not just a step backwards, it's a step towards bankruptcy and shame and disaster.

Is the franchise not crippled already?

How is trading for a 6.0-7.0 fWAR player a bad move?

Votto is apparently not interested in signing an extension(although maybe he would for the Jays).

We aren't winning anything in 2012.

So, you are trading our best prospects for MAYBE 1 year of contention...and you think that's smart?

Is the franchise not crippled already?

How is trading for a 6.0-7.0 fWAR player a bad move?

Short answer, because the 5 players you have to give up to get him have a lot more potential WAR than 6-7. Even if they average out to 2 War (and it'd probably be more because they want TOP prospects) that's 10 WAR over 5-6 years (50-60) you're giving up for 6-7 WAR for 2 years (12-14).

Math don't lie dude.

Votto is apparently not interested in signing an extension(although maybe he would for the Jays).

We aren't winning anything in 2012.

So, you are trading our best prospects for MAYBE 1 year of contention...and you think that's smart?

Votto isn't interested in signing an extension right now, but the team he plays for has not made the playoffs either...

Short answer, because the 5 players you have to give up to get him have a lot more potential WAR than 6-7. Even if they average out to 2 War (and it'd probably be more because they want TOP prospects) that's 10 WAR over 5-6 years (50-60) you're giving up for 6-7 WAR for 2 years (12-14).

Math don't lie dude.

How much is a World Series appearance worth?

Archived