Orioles looking for Baseball Analytics Intern

Biff Tannen

"I thought this deserved its own thread" and since I'm under-qualified, I'll share it with the board. :notworthy:

The Baltimore Orioles are looking to hire a Baseball Analytics intern to work in our Baseball Operations Department. This individual will report to the Assistant Scouting Director and the Coordinator of Baseball Analytics.

The intern will primarily focus on compiling, maintaining and analyzing data to assist the department in its development of various statistical models for use in player evaluation, both in the amateur, pro, and international arenas, in addition to performing other baseball-related research projects.

Candidates must be able to communicate effectively with a diverse team of sports professionals and possess exceptional organizational and computer skills. Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and proficiency in statistical analysis software packages (such as R, SPSS, or Stats) are required. Candidates with a degree (undergrad or graduate) or extensive background in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Econometrics, or Economics are preferred. A familiarity with current baseball research and analytics, especially the Pitch F/X system, is also preferred.

This one-year internship runs from January through the end of November, though the end date is flexible, and requires relocation to Baltimore, MD. Candidates must also be prepared to work long hours/weekends. Consideration will also be given to exceptional candidates who are only available for the summer. A monthly stipend is provided. If you are passionate about baseball, possess the necessary skills to succeed, and are driven to work in Major League Baseball, we would like to hear from you. Please forward your resume and cover letter to sgelles@orioles.com

Not sure if this a recurring internship that's been in place for a while, or a new Duquette era deal, but I'm glad to hear that's a real thing, just the same.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/psst_wanna_intern_for_the_orioles/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I thought this deserved its own thread" and since I'm under-qualified, I'll share it with the board. :notworthy:

Not sure if this a recurring internship that's been in place for a while, or a new Duquette era deal, but I'm glad to hear that's a real thing, just the same.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/psst_wanna_intern_for_the_orioles/

How many of you have submitted your resumes. Theo held a position similar to this back in the day.

I wonder who is the Coordinator of Baseball Analytics, and how long he/she has held that position? I noted that when they hired the economic consultant the other day, it was mentioned that the O's already had a staff of sabermetricians.

I sent this to a friend of mine with a masters in stats who could ride a bike to the warehouse. Not sure a "monthly stipend" coupled with "long weekend hours" is fair compensation given the criteria they are looking for.

I sent this to a friend of mine with a masters in stats who could ride a bike to the warehouse. Not sure a "monthly stipend" coupled with "long weekend hours" is fair compensation given the criteria they are looking for.

Par for the course for someone trying to get into a major league front office, I'm afraid.

As an aside, the whole "unpaid internship" thing is a big scam, that is currently being challenged in court as a violation of the labor laws. But I digress.

Par for the course for someone trying to get into a major league front office, I'm afraid.

As an aside, the whole "unpaid internship" thing is a big scam, that is currently being challenged in court as a violation of the labor laws. But I digress.

Most engineering internships pay $12-$18 an hour depending how far you are in the school. 4th year Computer Science students usually can land $15-$18 an hour for 15-30 hours a week.

This is the type of intern the Orioles are looking for. What kind of discount can they hope for just because its a sports job? If they are serious about hiring actual talent, they should pay the going rate.

Most engineering internships pay $12-$18 an hour depending how far you are in the school. 4th year Computer Science students usually can land $15-$18 an hour for 15-30 hours a week.

This is the type of intern the Orioles are looking for. What kind of discount can they hope for just because its a sports job? If they are serious about hiring actual talent, they should pay the going rate.

The answer is, there are a lot of people who want to get into sports. Many of today's young front office types spent a year's apprenticeship with little or no pay, to get their foot in the door. Matt Klentak, for example.

The answer is, there are a lot of people who want to get into sports. Many of today's young front office types spent a year's apprenticeship with little or no pay, to get their foot in the door. Matt Klentak, for example.

Question remains, do the Orioles want someone primarily driven by an ambition to work in sports or do they want a talented analyst?

Finding an intersection of those two is much harder then finding (and paying) a talented analyst. One could argue its better to find someone with little sports knowledge who will look at data with an unbiased eye.

I think the reason they also want someone with the ambition to work in sports is that such a person will willfully agree to be taken advantage of in the work place (e.g. accept unreasonable hours or deadlines).

Question remains, do the Orioles want someone primarily driven by an ambition to work in sports or do they want a talented analyst?

Finding an intersection of those two is much harder then finding (and paying) a talented analyst. One could argue its better to find someone with little sports knowledge who will look at data with an unbiased eye.

Archived