#Orioles and #Braves are making progress on an Adam Jones deal. Hearing Jurrjens is involved

Greg

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's hurt from what I hear. Bone on bone in his knee is causing pain, which is causing a lack of velo on the FB, and lack of differentiation from the CH now making him Matusz-hittable.

Curious as to why they send him down to AAA instead of the DL if that's the case.

Curious as to why they send him down to AAA instead of the DL if that's the case.

Don't know if it's something he can't play through, it's the same knee that's been giving him trouble for 2 years. If they DL him they REALLY won't be able to trade him. It'll be interesting to watch.

Don't know if it's something he can't play through, it's the same knee that's been giving him trouble for 2 years. If they DL him they REALLY won't be able to trade him. It'll be interesting to watch.

I'm not sure of the logic of this. As opposed to now? How could his value possibly take a hit from here?

I'm not sure of the logic of this. As opposed to now? How could his value possibly take a hit from here?

Well, if he can come back and manage a couple of productive months, he might salvage some trade value. If he gets shelved a while, his value will stay where it is now, which is nothing. Either way, I don't see them getting anything valuable for him anyway.

You're making a lot of poor generalizations here. And what is this contend in 2020 line?

You really think we can contend if we keep trading away our young talent? If your going to trade Jones, why keep Wieters? Most likely he won't resign here either. The 2020 comment was more tongue and cheek. It could be even longer.

You really think we can contend if we keep trading away our young talent? If your going to trade Jones, why keep Wieters? Most likely he won't resign here either. The 2020 comment was more tongue and cheek. It could be even longer.

The Orioles really havent shown a willingness to extend Jones for whatever reason. As fans we really dont get a vote. Jones is a good but not great baseball player. He likely wants a contract worth more than Markakis. He's really not worth that kind of bread.

Because I think Wieters has a lot of underrated skills and is a great bet to provide surplus value for us. Jones not so much.

No as opposed to this offseason when they tried to trade him before it became obvious. I don't see many guys having surgery to implant cartilage in their knee, this isn't something I expect to get better, he's going to have to deal the rest of his life. They were just hoping he had a good stretch so they could trade him before this happened is my guess.

Because I think Wieters has a lot of underrated skills and is a great bet to provide surplus value for us. Jones not so much.
The thing with Wieters is, unless you think you can contend while he is under team control you should trade him. Most likely this winter.

The whole Jones issue is a Rorschach Test for fans.

If you believe that the Orioles are closer to competing than some realize then you see Jones and the Orioles as wanting to stay together.

If you believe the Orioles are far away from competing then you see the Orioles and Jones parting ways.

I personally fall into the first camp.

This is as precise as it is succinct. I fall into the first camp, too. And it's really all about the starting pitching first...

Given the typical window of productivity for a catcher, I'd still be tempted to trade Wieters.

I think we keep him through his arbitration years, or maybe sign him to a market value extension that buys out one or two FA years, and we're golden.

Archived