The Orioles acquired outfielder Jai Miller from the Athletics

Greg

It just seems like a bizarre trend to me. He increased his ISO and BB% along with the SO%. It doesn't appear that he was overmatched, just that he changed his approach. I agree it is a red flag, but it's the only red flag in this deal in my opinion.

His trend is toward three true outcomes, which is fine if you keep the K-rate reasonable, but it means less playable contact in general. And when you're striking out 37% of the time in your fourth go at AAA as a 26-year-old, it's a bad sign. The PCL, possibly more than inflating ISO-P, inflates BABIP. Balls in play tend to travel faster and stay off the ground more in most PCL environments. Miller is not going to post near a .401 BABIP in MLB.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His trend is toward three true outcomes, which is fine if you keep the K-rate reasonable, but it means less playable contact in general. And when you're striking out 37% of the time in your fourth go at AAA as a 26-year-old, it's a bad sign. The PCL, possibly more than inflating ISO-P, inflates BABIP. Balls in play tend to travel faster and stay off the ground more in most PCL environments. Miller is not going to post near a .401 BABIP in MLB.

I agree, the BABIP question is certainly an issue. I don't anticipate he would hit over .250 in the bigs. I like him about as much as I like Endy Chavez, along with the general "change for change's sake" perspective.

I agree, the BABIP question is certainly an issue. I don't anticipate he would hit over .250 in the bigs. I like him about as much as I like Endy Chavez, along with the general "change for change's sake" perspective.

If anything, he's an interesting melange of tools. Most 3TO hitters are big, slow, limited-defense guys. Miller wouldn't have to click on all cylinders offensively to be valuable. Still, I don't expect a lot.

If anything, he's an interesting melange of tools. Most 3TT hitters are big, slow, limited-defense guys. Miller wouldn't have to click on all cylinders offensively to be valuable. Still, I don't expect a lot.

The Orioles will have a whole slew of mediocre guys to DFA at the end of spring training this year.

Miller can man all three outfield spots and is a fantastic defender, with Baseball America even calling him a potential Mike Cameron clone in their 2010 Prospect Handbook, the last time he was prospect eligible.

Between Reimold, Chavez & Jones, the O's would be lucky if 2 averaged >130 GS. The team needs moves like Miller to compensate for worst case scenarios, which could happen. Jones has averaged 137 games per season (as an O); Chavez hasn't broke 100 games since 2008 (maybe partial to being a backup, but still); Reimold hasn't played > 120 games since his 2008 Montanez/Wieters AA fantasy season. Jai Miller is likely to experience time with this club and his defense (which I hope BA is right) is #3 as the O's starting CF. Worst case scenario, the O's have Angle & Miller starting in the OF this year (Jones, Chavez & Reimold on the DL is possible..right?). Doubt this is a lets trade OF X (Markakis, Jones, Reimold) type move, then a CYAOF manuever.

At 26 he is getting up there for a guy who hasn't made the big leagues. Good depth move I guess.

Luke Scott says hello (from his age 27 MLB debut)

Well he is not a top prospect, but he put up consistent numbers for years in the minors and appears to have simply never gotten a shot. Blocked? I'm just wondering the blind squirrell finally found a nut here. This feels like a move that is Friedman made we would be asking, why didn't the Orioles get him for nothing?

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree. DD is obviously stock-piling for something. But I don't think he moves Jones for anything less than the moon if he is replacing him with Chavez/Miller/Angle. Now, if he had Cespedes in the fold, he might move Jones for less.

I am just saying that I think DD maybe trying to address other things (leadoff man, OBP, LF) that don't necessarily have much of anything to do with Jones.

Cespedes is the only viable depth option the O's should risk, if they move Jones...everyone else will cost more than any move worth making, IMO.

Jai%20Miller.png

Well, he will certainly be our coolest-looking outfielder since Eric Davis, if he makes the squad. :)

I'm half wondering if this isn't a guy DD wants to bring in and compete for left. My second thought is... compete for center, if the now-legendary non-trade of Jones to Atlanta ever goes through.

Well, he will certainly be our coolest-looking outfielder since Adam Jones, if he makes the squad. :)

I'm half wondering if this isn't a guy DD wants to bring in and compete for left. My second thought is... compete for center, if the now-legendary non-trade of Jones to Atlanta ever goes through.

Fixed that for you...

2528388s1x1x1.jpg

Luke Scott is an outlier. It's very rare for a player to have almost no MLB playing time prior to age 28 and then go on to a productive career.

Melvin Mora says hello :) ... Agree with you on the rarity/chances of Jai making an impact like Scott and with bluerocksfan about this being nothing more than a depth move, but it does happen. Scott also played his AAA seasons in the PCL.

Archived