Edwin Jackson Tweet (O's related)

Lance

Edwin Jackson has multiple three-year offers, but clubs are being told that the free agent right-hander is much more likely to sign a one-year deal than a multiyear contract, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports. The Orioles like Jackson and have made him an offer, but Connolly suggests it won't be enough to sign him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/one-year-deal-likely-for-edwin-jackson.html

My question is, who are these other teams besides the O's, who have multi year offers on the table? And what teams besides Boston are offering a one year deal? When Oswalt finally decides where he wants to pitch, this business will clear itself up pretty quickly, IMO. But I suspect that the two other teams with multi year offers are Boras mystery teams #1 and #2. Boston's offer wont be for more than 6-7 M IMO, and if there is another team with a one year offer, it's probably Pittsburgh.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you give him a 4-year deal than he doesn't sign a one year pact IMO. Give him the 4th year as he will only be 32 during that season which mitigates some of the risk. If he could entertain a one year deal than the Cards, Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles would all be suitors. With 4/5 being better than us we wouldn't stand a chance.
This isn't true. The MFY's rejected Jackson for one year, and traded for Pineda. They have no interest or space for him unless they can move Burnett. Good luck with that. The Cards will probably sign Oswalt, but if they doen't they would still have to move SP in order to make room for Jackson. Highly unlikely to do that. TEX barely has room for Oswalt, and would not be likely to make room for Jackson. Would he be an upgrade over any of their current SP's? Boston is the main one year candidate, IMO, and they won't be offering nearly as much as he wants; 5-7 M is my guess. I still think this is between Boston for one year and chicken feed, and B'more for 3 years and an option, with Boras playing his games to get money and another year out of DD.

I have a feeling the Oriole's offer was very low maybe somewhere between 3/18 - 3/27

Even if it is 3/$30M it is not enough IMO. If I am willing to pay Jackson 3/$30M than I could probably be talked into a 4/$46M deal. If people do not want to pay that for a guy like Jackson than they shouldn't complain over the Orioles passing on Fielder at 9/$214M.

Even if it is 3/$30M it is not enough IMO. If I am willing to pay Jackson 3/$30M than I could probably be talked into a 4/$46M deal. If people do not want to pay that for a guy like Jackson than they shouldn't complain over the Orioles passing on Fielder at 9/$214M.
Suppose the choice for Jackson is as I believe, between the O's offer of 3/30 plus a team option for 12M, and a 1/5M offer from Boston. Which do you think he would/should choose?

This isn't true. The MFY's rejected Jackson for one yea, and traded for Pineda. They have no interest or space for him unless they can move Burnett. Good luck with that. The Cards will probably sign Oswalt, but if they doen't they would still have to move SP in order to make room for Jackson. Highly unlikely to do that. TEX barely has room for Oswalt, and would not be likely to make room for Jackson. Would he be an upgrade over any of their current SP's? Boston is the main one year candidate, IMO, and they won't be offering nearly as much as he wants; 5-7 M is my guess. I still think this is between Boston for one year and chicken feed, and B'more for 3 years and an option, with Boras playing his games to get money and another year out of DD.

In your mind you can spin this anyway that you want. We thought that Fielder only had the Nationals, Rangers and maybe the Orioles in on him hard and he signed with the Tigers out of nowhere. The longer this plays out the more likely he is to get a good deal from a team that no one has mentioned. You pay a higher premium for a one year guy like Jackson. You mititgate risk with a shorter deal, but it costs you. I see a lot of team needing pitching and while teams might balk at 4 and 5 year offers from Boras, I doubt that they would do the same for a one year offer.

If the Orioles want a guy than stop waiting for him to pick your offer and go get him. We are not in position to wait if we want a guy. If I hear "Jackson has multiple 3-year offers and one is from O's" two thinks pop into my head. The other teams are better and the Orioles will offer the least amount of money. The Yankees could easily land Jackson on a one-year deal if they wanted him and move Burnett into the pen. They have options.

Suppose the choice for Jackson is as I believe, between the O's offer of 3/30 plus a team option for 12M, and a 1/5M offer from Boston. Which do you think he would/should choose?

Boston, but in this scenario there are multiple three year offers that I can not ignore. If the Orioles are the only offer than roll the dice, but Boston, Texas and St. Louis would all offer him more than a 1/$5M deal so that is not a valid scenario. If Jackson wanted 3/$27M he would be signed by now and 3/$30M is not a big enough jump for that location to be Baltimore IMO.

In your mind you can spin this anyway that you want. We thought that Fielder only had the Nationals, Rangers and maybe the Orioles in on him hard and he signed with the Tigers out of nowhere. The longer this plays out the more likely he is to get a good deal from a team that no one has mentioned. You pay a higher premium for a one year guy like Jackson. You mititgate risk with a shorter deal, but it costs you. I see a lot of team needing pitching and while teams might balk at 4 and 5 year offers from Boras, I doubt that they would do the same for a one year offer.

If the Orioles want a guy than stop waiting for him to pick your offer and go get him. We are not in position to wait if we want a guy. If I hear "Jackson has multiple 3-year offers and one is from O's" two thinks pop into my head. The other teams are better and the Orioles will offer the least amount of money. The Yankees could easily land Jackson on a one-year deal if they wanted him and move Burnett into the pen. They have options.

You need to name the teams that have a need for Jackson at 1/10 M and explain why it would make sense to give him that, given their current SP, and finances. I don't see that in NYY, TEX or STL. The Fielder contract made no sense. It was basically an 82 YO millionaire, ex MiL ballplayer, who didn't care what it would cost to see a WS before he dies. I some how don't think there is another such situation out there, that would involve a pitcher like Jackson.

Archived