Markakis

Pedro Cerrano

Bleacher report has Markakis as the #2 most underrated hitter in mlb. Some pretty impressive stats, depending on how much you value a good, old-fashioned hit.:D

"Since he broke into the big leagues in 2006, Markakis has just gone about his business. His .294 career average ranks eighth among outfielders with at least 3,000 plate appearances since then, and he's collected exactly 1,102 hits since 2006. Only seven hitters have collected more."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177974-billy-butler-and-baseballs-10-most-underrated-hitters/page/10

Ha.

No question his last week has been fantastic. Even hit a (91 MPH) fastball! For all my rhetoric, I'll be the first to welcome 2008-like production from Nick...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bump,

Long season and all that but for all of our complaining, his OPS is now .801, which if I am guessing right would put his OPS+ at about 119 or 120.

Best thing is that Nick has a .201 ISO right now. He's also walking a lot.

Best thing is that Nick has a .201 ISO right now. He's also walking a lot.

Yeah two good signs, but I think I have learned not to get too excited about him. I really do think this is that guy he is. He is going to put up OPS+ seasons of 115 - 120 for the foreseeable future. That is disappointing to some who expected more but that is who he is I think.

I want a higher OBP from the #4 hitter, since statically speaking, he is going to lead off an inning pretty often.

I'd bat Andino #1 , Markakis #2 , Hardy #3 , and Wieters #4 , Jones #5, Davis #6 IMO Matt is the closest thing we have to a real clean up hitter that we have.

Yeah two good signs, but I think I have learned not to get too excited about him. I really do think this is that guy he is. He is going to put up OPS+ seasons of 115 - 120 for the foreseeable future. That is disappointing to some who expected more but that is who he is I think.

I'm not making any predictions, just watching to see what happens. Markakis had a nice week last week from a power/OBP perspective. I'd need to see a couple more weeks of that before getting excited. But he's in a much better position after 35 games this year than he was last year (.231/.291/.315).

I'd bat Andino #1 , Markakis #2 , Hardy #3 , and Wieters #4 , Jones #5, Davis #6 IMO Matt is the closest thing we have to a real clean up hitter that we have.

Throwing out the effects of Davis being in a panic for three weeks, there's little practical difference between your lineup and using Davis, Jones, Wieters, Hardy, Markakis, Andino 1-6. Over a long period the two lineups would score almost the same number of runs.

Throwing out the effects of Davis being in a panic for three weeks, there's little practical difference between your lineup and using Davis, Jones, Wieters, Hardy, Markakis, Andino 1-6. Over a long period the two lineups would score almost the same number of runs.

Im not convinced on Davis yet. He had a hot start but lately as you said he's been in a funk.

Ho hum. Another HR today on an 88 mph pitch. I guess we shouldn't count those.

We are now 1/4 of the way through the season, and Nick is on pace for 36 doubles, 4 triples, 28 homers. His ISO sits at .201. He needs to get his average up, but his power numbers are well above his norms. I am pretty satisfied with where Nick sits at the quarter pole. He really hasn't been on a hot streak yet.

Archived