Markakis

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how is it a relevant statistic? What does it tell us? What is a "good" ISO?

iso = 0 implies that every hit is a single. iso = 3 implies that every hit is a home run. The higher you are, the more extra-base power you have. I would say an iso of .200 or higher is pretty good power, and .300 or higher is a very strong power hitter.

iso = 0 implies that every hit is a single. iso = 3 implies that every hit is a home run. The higher you are, the more extra-base power you have. I would say an iso of .300 or higher is a very strong power hitter.

Ok, so how is this a "better" statistic to gauge power than slugging percentage?

Ok, so how is this a "better" statistic to gauge power than slugging percentage?

Well, it is measuring "power" in the traditional sense moreso than hitting for contact. More precisely, it is essentially asking, when this player gets a hit, on average how many extra bases will he get (beyond a single)?

For example, let's say Player X has 50 at-bats, and his only hits are 4 doubles and 3 home runs. His batting average is only .140, while his slugging percentage is a respectable .400 (iso = .260). Then let's take Player Y, who in the same 50 at-bats hits 10 singles and 5 doubles. Player Y has a .300 batting average but still a .400 slugging percentage (iso = .100). Who is more of a "power hitter"?

A player's slugging can be dragged down by a poor batting average. For instance, coming into today's games Adam Jones and Paul Konerko had identical SLG% at .604. Konerko has a much better batting average and his ISO is .237. But Jones, whose average is 60 points lower, has a much higher ISO at .308.

This means that Jones is hitting more extra base hits but less singles than Konerko.

A player's slugging can be dragged down by a poor batting average. For instance, coming into today's games Adam Jones and Paul Konerko had identical SLG% at .604. Konerko has a much better batting average and his ISO is .237. But Jones, whose average is 60 points lower, has a much higher ISO at .308.

This means that Jones is hitting more extra base hits but less singles than Konerko.

Yup. I think Jeter and Ripken is the best example. Jeter actually has a slightly better SLG% than Ripken, but that's because it's inflated due to singles. I don't think anybody would call Jeter more of a power hitter than Ripken.

Personally...I think OBP + ISO would be a much more useful stat than OPS because OPS counts singles twice (once for OBP and once for SLG%).

Interesting note from Elias Sports Bureau: "From Elias: Nick Markakis' home run in the 11th inning gave the Orioles a 2-1 win over the Nationals. It was Markakis' first career home run in extra innings, but he's now 29-for-67 (.433) in such at-bats, giving him the highest batting average among active American League players with at least 25 at-bats in extra innings."

From Nick's player page on ESPN. Pretty wild he's had such great success in extras.

This thread was started during a May 7 game in which Nick went 0 for 3. Since that day, Nick has hit .328/.388/.639 with 5 homers and 13 RBI in 15 games played. We need to start more threads like this!

1.02 OPS is pretty good, right?

Now, if only we could fix Wieters.

This thread was started during a May 7 game in which Nick went 0 for 3. Since that day, Nick has hit .328/.388/.639 with 5 homers and 13 RBI in 15 games played. We need to start more threads like this!
1.02 OPS is pretty good, right?

Now, if only we could fix Wieters.

Do I get to take credit?

Interesting note from Elias Sports Bureau: "From Elias: Nick Markakis' home run in the 11th inning gave the Orioles a 2-1 win over the Nationals. It was Markakis' first career home run in extra innings, but he's now 29-for-67 (.433) in such at-bats, giving him the highest batting average among active American League players with at least 25 at-bats in extra innings."

From Nick's player page on ESPN. Pretty wild he's had such great success in extras.

But, but, he's not "clutch".

Archived