Matt Wieters needs to be benched for a few days

bmoreosfan

There's nothing that demands fatigue be linear. I'm not more tired in December than I am in June. The argument is patently fallacious.

At the risk of jumping back into an argument I have no intention of jumping back into: there's nothing that demands fatigue be linear, sure, but the baseball season is most certainly linear (has a beginning, and an end, and 5 months off in between). Comparing your fatigue to a baseball player's fatigue is also "patently fallacious", unless you happen to work in a job that has a linear progression and has consistent physical demands...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm one of the guys that was vociferous in my demand that Wieters be benched for a game or two for his poor offensive performance. I'll happily admit that it now seems silly. Anger is a funny emotion. Anyway, thanks to all of you who are wiser, smarter, older and less good looking than I am. Carry on. :)

At the risk of jumping back into an argument I have no intention of jumping back into: there's nothing that demands fatigue be linear, sure, but the baseball season is most certainly linear (has a beginning, and an end, and 5 months off in between). Comparing your fatigue to a baseball player's fatigue is also "patently fallacious", unless you happen to work in a job that has a linear progression and has consistent physical demands...

Wow, are you in for some crap.

So I'm one of the guys that was vociferous in my demand that Wieters be benched for a game or two for his poor offensive performance. I'll happily admit that it now seems silly. Anger is a funny emotion. Anyway, thanks to all of you who are wiser, smarter, older and less good looking than I am. Carry on. :)

This may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but I don't really see giving Matt a few days off to re-charge his battery as a "benching" so much as it simply giving a solid player some rest. The term "benching" has negative connotations, usually used as a punishment for a player's behavior and/or a coach or manager that has little confidence in the overall ability of said player. Matt has caught a lot of games this year (some of them extra-inning games), and he always gives it his all in every game, on both sides of the ball. He may have been somewhat fatigued both mentally and physically, and if Buck had decided to give him a few days in a row off, I wouldn't have viewed it as "Oh my God, he's benching Wieters." I simply would have viewed it as Buck gibing his star catcher a breather during the marathon 162-game season.

This may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but I don't really see giving Matt a few days off to re-charge his battery as a "benching" so much as it simply giving a solid player some rest. The term "benching" has negative connotations, usually used as a punishment for a player's behavior and/or a coach or manager that has little confidence in the overall ability of said player. Matt has caught a lot of games this year (some of them extra-inning games), and he always gives it his all in every game, on both sides of the ball. He may have been somewhat fatigued both mentally and physically, and if Buck had decided to give him a few days in a row off, I wouldn't have viewed it as "Oh my God, he's benching Wieters." I simply would have viewed it as Buck gibing his star catcher a breather during the marathon 162-game season.

Absolutely correct and well stated. I was being vindictive, but if Buck had simply given Matt a day off after the team day off prior to the Rays series, I think that would have done both things at once - given him the needed rest, but also indicated without the public humiliation factor that hey, nothing should be taken for granted, Matt. You don't won't players playing scared, but at the same time, you don't want them thinking that prolonged underperformance is going to be met with indifference regardless of their position. Either way, I'm happy that it's a moot point.

Finally, i think it was El Gordo that pointed out that we're banged up, and taking Matt out of the lineup for a "lesson teaching moment" would have been ludicrous at that time, which was a really good point.

He's looked pretty fine at the plate of late. We're a much better team when he's hitting.

Nah. His argument ate itself.

Yeah, right, cause Wieters' rise clearly coincided with his getting more days off! Er, wait...

Not to mention the fact I claimed--and still do claim--Wieters is roughly an .800 OPS guy, and my argument seems just about right.

There's nothing that demands fatigue be linear. I'm not more tired in December than I am in June. The argument is patently fallacious.

There's also saying that nothing doesn't not demand that fatigue be linear, either.

Anyway, good to see Wieters swinging the bat well again.

Ooops. There's also nothing NOT saying that doesn't demand that linear be fatigued either. I think thats what I meant. :D

Watch out Hemingway!

(Just giving you grief. I don't disagree - and include in it the nicks and dings and whatnot that accrue over the season. My point was only that pointing to month-by-month splits isn't granular enough to really say anything about fatigue.)

Wieters is just awful. Yeah, so he had a few hits here and there since my original post. Don't get me wrong, I want Wieters to be what we thought he would be, but now we're going into a second straight month of Wieters looking terrible at the plate and doing nothing offensively to help this team. Isn't there anyone concerned that this so-called slump continues into a second month? Is it just mental with Wieters or is something else going on? Someone give me some hope that this guy still has a chance to hit .280, drive in 30 HR, and 100 RBI. The performance of Brian Roberts last night really highlighted Wieters' pathetic performance over the past five weeks.

Archived