vs. METS 6/20

garethcoker

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would love to see B rob have a good AB here. I instantly feel better about our offense and our season :laughlol:. Get back here soon Kakes!

Speaking of which, does anybody know our record w/o Nick? Seems like we've chugged right along.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• There’s really not much out there that in terms of pitchers with one year remaining on their deals. So then that expands trade possibilities to guys with 2 years remaining. Free Agents generally get 3+ year deals if they have any type of value versus coming off the down years that 1 year deal guys get. Combine that with the Giants being like $20 million over the luxury tax threshold and Ray seems likely he will get dealt.  Maybe it would be more of a salary dump and wouldn’t cost us Mountcastle, but that makes an awful lot of sense considering the LH bats they have and that they would want an MLB piece coming back in return.  If we can’t bring back Burnes, and he’s likely the first free agent pitcher to sign, then I could see this going down at the winter meetings.  Ray has CY Young potential and is further removed from TJ.  Mayo is the direct replacement for Mounty on the 2025 roster.  Our rotation is then Grayson, Eflin, Ray, Kremer, and Suarez. Our depth behind that is Povich, Rogers, and McDermott. Maybe Wells and Bradish at some point, but they shouldn’t be counted on.  That’s enough depth and talent to make the playoffs. Heck, Ray could have a big bounce back given it’s his first full off season off of TJS, and we have the WALL. 
    • I just think they need to upgrade from his ABs. He's a solid hitter, but just not a real MOO, which is what this team needs. If the Orioles need one more quality at bat and what we know is the Mountcastle, O'Hearn "platoon" is just not good enough.  Yes, Mayo is coming but he's got more to prove. As for O'Hearn, he just doesn't bring much defensive value  to offset his pedestrian .163 ISO. I'm not saying they won't bring him back, but I think they should be looking for an upgrade here.
    • The link to Esteban Mejia is to a 3B with the Down East Wood Ducks.  Is it this Esteban? https://tenor.com/view/esteban-kill-bill-goddamn-better-be-better-gif-21826164  
    • It just depends on what is a sustainable spend amount for the O's.  I don't want us to go crazy buying only to be sunk in a deep hole in 2 years.  We should a have a 4-5 year window of playoff appearances ahead of us. I'd rather sign Burnes if we are going to spend big.  I think he's more realistic anyway since he knows what it's like here, and I'd feel much more comfortable with his durability than Snell/Fried.  He also appears to have figured out how to be effective without big strikeout numbers which bodes well.  I still don't see us signing him. I'm in favor of some short-term contracts for mid-tier guys who might have a big year.  Not very exciting but I think the safer play.  Again, knowing nothing about the money situation.
    • Possible trade targets - Luis Robert, Miguel Andujar. After looking through rosters to see who might be a fit, I realized lots of teams are in the same situation as us in needed a RH bat for the short side of an OF platoon. What really separates the guys in FA/via trade from the guys that will be available on milb deals?  It’s looking like it just comes down to luck and picking the right dude that’s going to bounce back.  Names like Austin Hays, and Whit Merrifield, are just as likely to bounce back in 2025 as some as the others.  I do like Robert though. 
    • Third-base coach Tony Mansolino, who serves as Baltimore’s infield instructor, believes Holliday could eventually win a Gold Glove at second, a position he learned on the fly last spring after mostly playing shortstop all his life. I know a coach isn’t going to throw someone under the bus but it’s worth mentioning.  
    • I’d be in favor of signing Fried ($29m/yr) and Beuhler (1 yr deal-$10m) to sure up SP.  Trade Urias and/or Mountcastle (to open up a spot for Mayo) for a RP.  And finally figure out RF with Kjerstad or signing of another FA.  We’d be adding ~$40m and taking off $6-8m….so adding roughly $30m to payroll.    
  • Popular Contributors