vs. METS 6/20

garethcoker

Baseball gets you so up and down like no other sport I feel like. The good feelings of winning 7 of 8 are so easily lost when the bats go stone cold.

It's not baseball, it's Orioles baseball. The team's been so bad for so long that, even when they're winning/playing well, you can't help but feel as though you're waiting for the wheels to come off. There's no real payoff, short of a playoff appearance. And even then, how could anyone think the O's made it by virtue of something other than lightning in a bottle (i.e., the performance would probably be perceived as unrepeatable).

You're experiencing the essence of what it means to be a fan of this team. Not its history, not its myriad, former accomplishments. This team.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We should have never had Flaherty AND Nick Johnson in there. We are a team needing to find some offense and that doesn't help.... thank God this is the last game without a DH!!!

When the offense isn't working you try to shake things up and insert different players (and you've got to give a start to Nick once in a while!). Nonetheless, Buck back-tracked and took Flaherty out even w/o the justification of a lefty Mets pitcher coming in. An obvious not putting up with defensive incompetence in LF?

You need to look at the season stats. The Orioles have been terribly lucky to have won so many games. I give them all the credit in the world for being scrappy, but goodness gracious, when you look at the starting rotaiton and the options available for Buck in his lineup right now and we are a long losing streak waiting to happen.

This seems rational right now, but maybe thats because I have such a bad taste in my mouth from watching this trash heap.

This is the most frustrating game I have watched all year. I don't want to jump to any conclusions in the midst of it.

Let's be real when your send players like Nick Johnson,Steve Tolleson, Steve Pearce, Ryan Flaherty, Wilson Betemit not gonna win many games with them over the long run.

Yep. All of them could be decent role players, but they are being asked to play too much and they are over exposed. Losing Markakis and Reimold has hurt this team and when you add the fact that 3/5 of your rotation should be 5th starters or in AAA and you have what we have, a team that has played above its head. That doesn't mean this is their true level because clearly they are struggling terribly right now, but those who think we're just in a slump needs to look at the stats and then look at the competition and tell me why I'm suppose to think the Orioles were going to keep this up?

Yep. All of them could be decent role players, but they are being asked to play too much and they are over exposed. Losing Markakis and Reimold has hurt this team and when you add the fact that 3/5 of your rotation should be 5th starters or in AAA and you have what we have, a team that has played above its head. That doesn't mean this is their true level because clearly they are struggling terribly right now, but those who think we're just in a slump needs to look at the stats and then look at the competition and tell me why I'm suppose to think the Orioles were going to keep this up?

I maintain that we can be a .500 team, and I guess that's what run differential among other stats would say.

This seems rational right now, but maybe thats because I have such a bad taste in my mouth from watching this trash heap.

This is the most frustrating game I have watched all year. I don't want to jump to any conclusions in the midst of it.

I hear ya and I understand, I guess I'm just saying what I've been feeling all along this year. I've enjoyed the season, but the more I looked at our weaknesses (poor starting rotation, poor defense, below average offense) the more I kept waiting for them to start to lose more than they win. Now no one expected them to be this pitiful, and they aren't this bad, but I'll be happy if we somehow can not implode. I just want this team to end up over .500 this year. That's my goal for the season and anything more than that is cake.

Archived