Why do people value WAR/Arbitrary formulas.

Fired-Up

Ha! Comparing yourself to Socrates. Now that is the first time you've actually said something marginally interesting! Maybe you're more full of surprises than I thought!

But it's a bad comparison. Socrates was not perfect, but he did not engage in near as much sophistry as you, my friend.

You'll have to point out my sophistry for me.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ironic, lol.

As I've said before, having a discussion about the flaws of WAR, is quite actually constructive.

And acting as if WAR is "as good as it gets" and therefore unassailable is actually quite mindless.

So, I find it doubly ironic that you find irony in my remark. :)

As I've said before, having a discussion about the flaws of WAR, is quite actually constructive.

And acting as if WAR is "as good as it gets" and therefore unassailable is actually quite mindless.

So, I find it doubly ironic that you find irony in my remark. :)

The straw man cometh!!

004.jpg

I can't believe you folks are still indulging this.

It's fun. We spend all this time on the OH resisting the temptation to make a straw-man but here we have a veritable straw-man of his own making!

Er, not the guy above. Seems like a normal, well-adjusted feller to me.

They executed Socrates too. People don't like to think. :)

Wow, in my lifetime we've gone from believing that RBI and pitcher wins were all you needed, and that park effects didn't mean anything, to having a very good framework for an all-encompassing metric that gauges players by how many wins they contribute, all put together by a huge grass-roots community that's completely overturned the hidebound baseball traditionalists that mocked and derided this progress at every turn... yet you insist "people don't like to think". There's more thinking going on about how baseball works and what contributes to wins in the last couple decades than there was in the past 125 years combined. WAR is just the logical outcome of thousands of people working to quantify what they observe on a baseball field (i.e. thinking).

Archived