FanSince88

WC play-in game thoughts?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. WC play-in game thoughts?

• 2 of 3 instead
    • It's fine
    • Should have only one WC
    • There should be no WC
    • There should be no pennant series, just the WS. Also, I'm older than dirt.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not older than dirt, but if I absolutely had my choice, there'd be no divisions, a balanced schedule, and the top 4 teams from each league would make the playoffs.

As it is right now, I'm fine with the set-up. I love that it makes winning the division more important, and it keeps a few more teams in the playoff chase.

It will be pretty anti-climactic if the Tigers are a WC team. Nobody will beat Verlander in a single playoff game. Of course, that puts them behind the 8 ball in the division series, but that's a different story.

Verlander can have a bad day just like anyone else. Not sure why he'd have such an advantage over a guy like Weaver.

I'm not older than dirt, but if I absolutely had my choice, there'd be no divisions, a balanced schedule, and the top 4 teams from each league would make the playoffs.

As it is right now, I'm fine with the set-up. I love that it makes winning the division more important, and it keeps a few more teams in the playoff chase.

I fully agree with both thoughts.

I love the sport of baseball, so I'd go for a 2 out of 3 series. I think one game is too little, as anything can happen in a one game playoff. Plus it would really suck for a 90 win team to be eliminated by a 83 win team in one game.

That said, let me answer this way...

If the Yankees are in the WC game and lose, then I am ALL FOR the one game format.

If the Orioles finally make the playoffs after 15 years and lose, that would suck more than an Athletic Dude three team trade proposal involving JTrea's premium talent!

Even in the olden days when there was only the WS, they'd give teams who tied for the pennant best 2 of 3 to sort it out.

I like it. It enhances the regular season and punifies the Wild Card as an actual victory.

Whoever wins that game is then coronated.

I love the sport of baseball, so I'd go for a 2 out of 3 series. I think one game is too little, as anything can happen in a one game playoff. Plus it would really suck for a 90 win team to be eliminated by a 83 win team in one game.

Well, you got to be good enough to win your game then ;)

And if the Orioles make the second WC I full expect them to lose. And then if the don't...It's ON.

It will be pretty anti-climactic if the Tigers are a WC team. Nobody will beat Verlander in a single playoff game. Of course, that puts them behind the 8 ball in the division series, but that's a different story.

#1 vs #1 is still a toss-up. It just happens to be a low-scoring toss-up. (This of course assumes both teams have legit #1. If it's the Orioles we're probably SOL. But the Angels and Rays would be sending up Weaver and Price.)

#1 vs #1 is still a toss-up. It just happens to be a low-scoring toss-up. (This of course assumes both teams have legit #1. If it's the Orioles we're probably SOL. But the Angels and Rays would be sending up Weaver and Price.)

Are we, though? Miguel Gonzalez matched David Price...why couldn't Jason Hammel in a one game matchup, or Chris Tillman, or FFS, even Zach Britton.

It's 1 game.

It's nonsense...1 baseball game should not really decide anything. I honestly think I prefer the 4 team system, w/o the 2nd wildcard. This just hugely devalues the 4th spot and can make the maybe 2-3 game difference (in some years) between 4 and 5 totally irrelevant. It often happens that the #4 team, the WC team in years past, has a better record/or is a better team than 1 or 2 of the division winners. I don't see why we should punish them, and I am certain there will be some really good #4 teams in the future years who will get ***k*d in the silly 1 game playoff.

Verlander can have a bad day just like anyone else. Not sure why he'd have such an advantage over a guy like Weaver.

They used to say that about Randy Johnson.

I won't disagree with any of this, especially when it comes to Weaver and Price. But Verlander is riding the wave of Best Pitcher on Earth right now, and I'd still take him over both of these guys all day. I know that's saying a lot. I just think that the Tigers with Verlander in a 1-game playoff is a very tough team to beat. Angels with Weaver is a close 2nd though. Wouldn't give the Rays with their offense much of a chance, but Longoria is back now, so that could change.

The one game is no different than the one-game playoff teams had to play to resolve ties. No one really wants to go to a one-game playoff, but that's the penalty for not winning one's division. I prefer this approach to how it's been done since the wild card was implemented.

Archived