Vs. American

BaltBird 24

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except of course when we won with similar talent, right?

Dude, they ain't my rankings!

Maryland's been to the NIT what, 3 of the last 4 years? I would like to think they were talented enough to win that thing....stupid Jaspers.

I just think that Gary needs to get this turned around. His recruiting classes have been extremely weak, especially since UConn has been picking your local pocket.

EDIT: That's wrong, if they MAKE the NIT this year it will be 3 of 4.

I didn't see the game, but I did see about 10 seconds of highlights - enough to see a clip of Vasquez pumping his fist and yelling like an animal after a basket.

How many humiliating home losses will it take him to figure out he's got nothing to yell and pump his fist about?

Notice how many people think MARYLAND is now going that way.

But I guess a bunch of blow-hards on a message board (myself included) know more then a national-championship-winning basketball coach, right :D

I think even a blow-hard would know that you need to give the ball to Gist & Co. in the low post against a team with no one as big or athletic. But, playing a disorganized perimeter game was probably a good call also.

Told you.

Gary must go. That'll be my mantra for the next 3 years of sucking until someone realizes that Gary needs to get the hell out of here and stop driving us further into the ground.

That will never happen. He took over the program when it was in disarray, and he was the guy there when the sanctions were lifted. Naturally, the program improved then, and he gets all the credit (he should get some). Then he lucked his way into Juan Dixon and LB, who nobody thought would be anything special. They turned great, and rode them and another recruiting class that should have been mediocre to a title. Now, he's seem as the savior. I can't see any circumstance where he is canned.

Told you.

Gary must go. That'll be my mantra for the next 3 years of sucking until someone realizes that Gary needs to get the hell out of here and stop driving us further into the ground.

I think I would be happier if Gary decided that the Flex offense must go

When the money from the boosters starts to decline, then Yow will get the message.

I swear its been like 3-4 years in a row now that I've heard the following:

1. We're young

2. Recruiting rankings don't mean anything, Gary recruits his "type" of players that he can coach up, play hard nosed basketball, etc.

It's not working. We're a mid major basketball program now and in the forseeable future.

When the money from the boosters starts to decline, then Yow will get the message.

I swear its been like 3-4 years in a row now that I've heard the following:

1. We're young

2. Recruiting rankings don't mean anything, Gary recruits his "type" of players that he can coach up, play hard nosed basketball, etc.

It's not working. We're a mid major basketball program now and in the forseeable future.

The Terps are in the ACC, they are not a mid-major basketball program. They are dealing with the consequences of poor recruiting after their national title. Unfortunately, it isn't going to turn around, maybe not even next year.

I think the real issue is whether GW changes his coaching style on offense, and if the admin at Maryland has the guts to make a coaching style

The Terps are in the ACC, they are not a mid-major basketball program. They are dealing with the consequences of poor recruiting after their national title. Unfortunately, it isn't going to turn around, maybe not even next year.

I think the real issue is whether GW changes his coaching style on offense, and if the admin at Maryland has the guts to make a coaching style

I should have said "playing like a mid major." I don't care what conference the Terps are in, that's how they are playing.

We do agree though on those points though. Younger coaches are out recruiting him, actually showing up to see the top guys at their games, etc.

I don't know much about offensive basketball but I do know that Gary's teams of late seem to struggle w/the fundamentals (rebounding, passing), have trouble w/zone defenses, can't shoot/defend the 3. It seems like college basketball has become more about the 3.

Bummer. I used to look forward to the big MD/Duke games on ESPN as the Terps would always have a shot. Two highly ranked teams going head to head. Those days are gone for a few more years.

I think we're in for 2-3 more years of this. Gary is too stubborn to resign on his own and I don't know if Yow has enough "juice" to force him to resign.

Archived