How bad will Derek Jeter be?

CA-ORIOLE

Defensively this year.

The advanced metrics showed him really bad last year (but not the worst of his career). Of course the metrics compare him relative to other shortstops. In past years I've read about him doing a lot of leg work in the offseason. Running in large barrels of rice and stuff like that. This year he reportedly hasn't done much of any leg work because of the broken ankle. Last I heard, he was only running lightly on the treadmill.

I'm thinking a DRS rate of around minus 25 runs, but we might be looking at something historic this year.

Defensively this year.

The advanced metrics showed him really bad last year (but not the worst of his career). Of course the metrics compare him relative to other shortstops. In past years I've read about him doing a lot of leg work in the offseason. Running in large barrels of rice and stuff like that. This year he reportedly hasn't done much of any leg work because of the broken ankle. Last I heard, he was only running lightly on the treadmill.

I'm thinking a DRS rate of around minus 25 runs, but we might be looking at something historic this year.

It would be spectacular if he coughed up a -40 or so. Any chance the Yanks have a lefty pitch-to-contact guy in line to get some starts? Be could have a Hornsby-esque BABIP.

If there was a God, the Yankees wouldn't have won 40 pennants and 27 World Series in the first place.

What "Can" said or perhaps He/She was just setting up the Bronx Bombing Nation for the big fall that is now upon us - years of agonizing, tragic seasons one friggin' one after another until the next meteorite hits and destroys Mother Earth!

:agree:

Defensively this year.

Michael Young with a broken leg bad. I think he is a DH and that he takes his player option in the offseason to come back next year.

As much as I hate to say it... ARod being out for at least most of the year, Jeter fits well at DH. He won't see much field time, esp. with the ankle. I'm sure the skanks have SOMEONE to play short. But Jeter did lead the league in hits last year. :slytf: .316 avg. .362 OBP. He's "only" 39 and a half this year... Overall you can't count him out. I'd bet +2WAR over/under.

As much as I hate to say it... ARod being out for at least most of the year, Jeter fits well at DH. He won't see much field time, esp. with the ankle. I'm sure the skanks have SOMEONE to play short. But Jeter did lead the league in hits last year. :slytf: .316 avg. .362 OBP. He's "only" 39 and a half this year... Overall you can't count him out. I'd bet +2WAR over/under.

I refuse to believe Jeter will not play SS. Years of poor play with better SS on the roster have proven that he'll remain at position regardless of common sense.

Your fear that Jeter will DH is logical.... if it were anyone else.

I refuse to believe Jeter will not play SS. Years of poor play with better SS on the roster have proven that he'll remain at position regardless of common sense.

Your fear that Jeter will DH is logical.... if it were anyone else.

Even Willie Mays called it quits after a few embarrassing gaffes in the outfield. DiMaggio's (I'll call it ego) was so big that he lived in terror of someone seeing him as not the best player in the world and retired after one off season. Cal got moved to third. Mickey Mantle was only 32 when he started playing the corners, then first base. Hell, in his late 30s Ty Cobb started playing himself in the outfield corners sometimes. Everyone, eventually even Jeter, gets to the point where either they realize they're done, or someone else says it for them.

I've counted Jeter out so many times, I simply refuse to do it again. The guy had a .710 OPS in 2010, then was at .649 OPS on June 13, 2011, went on the DL, and I was sure we'd seen the last of him as a productive player. Then he put up an .831 OPS for the final 69 games when he returned, and then .791 last year. The guy has more lives than a cat. He's a statue at SS but never looks bad doing it, so I don't know if he'll have the same realization that guys like Mays and DiMaggio did when their defensive skills slipped.

Archived