2013 Boston Red Sox

OFFNY

The end of that game was ridiculous. Gomes was out on strike 3, should have been over.

And the acting manager pointed his wrong arm to the bullpen so he had no choice after trying to correct it immediately but to bring in the lefty? I've never heard of or seen that before. What if there are two righties warming in the pen? Does he have to bring in a random left hander? That's just stupid.

This is not a rule, it is nowhere to be found in the rule book, the only official change is when the umpire writes in the name of whomever the new player is and that new player is officially in the game. In fact, I have seen Buck point with the wrong hand many times and it seems to make no difference.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this board is just about the O's, but Sox games have implications for us in the playoff race. Did anyone catch this story? A major factor in the Sox win last night was that the M's manager brought in the wrong reliever, the lefty Perez to face Victorino and Pedroia. I can't remember ever seeing that happen in baseball.

http://deadspin.com/mariners-accidentally-bring-in-wrong-pitcher-blow-huge-1000000297

"Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters he wouldn’t have argued had the umpires allowed Thompson to bring in Medina."

What hooey. John Farrell argues about everything, even calls that have gone his way. He definitely would have argued had this one not.

Why not just let Perez throw one pitch, then come out and make the change for the guy you really want. Certainly don't leave him in there to face Pedroia.

I thought the same thing, but I think it's because they wanted him for Ortiz (who he did strike out).

Apologies Rick for posting here, but I thought the O's board folks would want to see this story and there are only 5 viewing the MLB forum. I won't argue if mods delete it.

Why not just let Perez throw one pitch, then come out and make the change for the guy you really want. Certainly don't leave him in there to face Pedroia.

Yeah, I was going to say. That doesn't make any sense. Don't leave him in there to face Pedroia if that's not who you want.

And John Farrell absolutely would have argued it.

I thought the same thing, but I think it's because they wanted him for Ortiz (who he did strike out).

Apologies Rick for posting here, but I thought the O's board folks would want to see this story and there are only 5 viewing the MLB forum. I won't argue if mods delete it.

Just a heads up, I could care less, but Tony already told one guy yesterday, about sticking to the forum rules and posting to the right forum.

Most people sit in the O's forum and check the "what's new" to see what's going on in other forums.

Archived